Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Attending GCL Games - question

Attending GCL Games - question

Hi,

I'm going to be in Fort Myers soon and hope to catch a GCL Twins game and also catch a game at the GCL Red Sox.

Has anyone attended a game at either place? My understanding is the games are not in the main stadium, but on a side field. Is that correct?

Do fans bring lawn chairs to watch the games? I can't imagine many people going to these games. Hopefully Buxton will be suited up when I go!

Thanks for any info!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've never been to it, but I've heard it is free to attend. It is on a back field. There are small bleachers, but I'm sure you can bring a chair.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Be advised also that there are no concessions, so bring your own snacks and refreshments.

Blog Entries
    If you get a chance after you go, start a thread and tell us about your experience. I'll be down there in August and might go to one myself.

Thanks for all the info!

Another question since they play on a side field. Do they wear numbers on their jerseys? How will I know who I'm watching? Is their anyplace I can print out a numerical roster?

Thanks!

Perfect! Thank you!

Aside from Buxton, who are the other top guys on this team?

Does anyone know who the top guy is on GCL Sox team?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjammer View Post
    Perfect! Thank you!

Aside from Buxton, who are the other top guys on this team?

Does anyone know who the top guy is on GCL Sox team?
    Jose Berrios was the Twins second pick this year, in the compensatory round. High school pitcher out of Puerto Rico.

I attended 5 or 6 GCL games last year..... Got to see good baseball! Mostly pitchers not playing that day, a few parents and some scouts from other clubs updating their reports in the stands. I had alot of fun listening to the pitchers talk about everything that you could think of that would come to a 17-20 yr old mind.... And you get to hear it in different languages! You really appreciate the grinding heat/humidity that the 12pm games must play on a player after a season... Derek Rodriguez would be another player to keep your eye on.

Tampa Bay, Red Sox and Twins all have bleachers.

Please do write about your experiences!

Hi there,
    So I attended today's game at the Red Sox. A few quick notes.

- Pleasantly surprised that the game was on the main field at the Red Sox' new Jet Blue Park (mini Fenway). It was awesome. Parked my car at the curb on the entrance to the park, brought in a cooler full of sandwiches and drinks. There was no parking or ticket costs at all. Maybe only 20 fans in the whole park. haha. Anyone thinking of attending, should go. Fun and free day at the park. And there is plenty of seating under the roofs to hide from the sun. Also sat front row on the green monster for a bit under the roof. Fun vantage point to watch the game from.

- Kind of bummed that neither Buxton nor Derek Rodriguez played. Joe Benson started center. His arm looked good. I spoke to a twins scout who said Benson will be on the Miracle within a few days.

- Scout said dont be concerned about Buxton. He's a great kid who works hard and has all the tools. Just needs to learn a bit.

- The Red sox have this guy Shaq Thompson. Ranked as the 7th best FOOTBALL player in the nation last year and will play at Univ of Washington as a safety in the fall. He's there starting centerfielder. Was fun to watch him today. Looks like a man amongst boys physically. Didnt impress at the plate though.

Oh, and as 60ft mentioned, I dont think I heard any english being spoken. Too funny!

Fun day at the park even though I didn't really know the players.

So that's my recap.

-

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi there,

- Pleasantly surprised that the game was on the main field at the Red Sox' new Jet Blue Park (mini Fenway). It was awesome. Parked my car at the curb on the entrance to the park, brought in a cooler full of sandwiches and drinks. There was no parking or ticket costs at all. Maybe only 20 fans in the whole park. haha. Anyone thinking of attending, should go. Fun and free day at the park. And there is plenty of seating under the roofs to hide from the sun. Also sat front row on the green monster for a bit under the roof. Fun vantage point to watch the game from.

- Kind of bummed that neither Buxton nor Derek Rodriguez played. Joe Benson started center. His arm looked good. I spoke to a twins scout who said Benson will be on the Miracle within a few days.

- Scout said dont be concerned about Buxton. He's a great kid who works hard and has all the tools. Just needs to learn a bit.

- The Red sox have this guy Shaq Thompson. Ranked as the 7th best FOOTBALL player in the nation last year and will play at Univ of Washington as a safety in the fall. He's there starting centerfielder. Was fun to watch him today. Looks like a man amongst boys physically. Didnt impress at the plate though.

Oh, and as 60ft mentioned, I dont think I heard any english being spoken. Too funny!

So that's my recap.

-
    Thanks
    Sounds like you had fun.
    Not sure what that scout meant, but the only way that Benson is going to the Miracle instead of the Rock Cats or the Red Wings is for another round of rehab.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Hi there,

So that's my recap.

-
    Shaq Tompson is from my home area.... Beast in Football. Very surprised he was drafted. But the Sox are known to take flyers on athletes! Was just ok against high school pitching. I see by his stats he is really struggling...!!

What a great place to watch a gcl game!! I am a little jealous!

Maybe Benson is playing jumping to the Miracle for the last part of the rehab assignment since they are in town before heading back to up??

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 60ft6in View Post
    Maybe Benson is playing jumping to the Miracle for the last part of the rehab assignment since they are in town before heading back to up??
    It makes sense, both double and triple a will be having their All-Star breaks next week.