@sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Trade Target Team Profile: Cincinnati Reds

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lord, but I love the idea of getting Hamilton.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would love to get Billy Hamilton but would also be shocked if they traded him.

I would die of happiness if they could get Hamilton. Alas, it''s almost a sure bet that he's untouchable.

They'd better get two

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaseballGeek View Post
    I would die of happiness if they could get Hamilton. Alas, it''s almost a sure bet that he's untouchable.
    I am not one to trade an established player like Willingham or Span, without getting at least TWO prospects in return. One is not enough. You're trading someone who is nearly at the high point of their career for someone who hasn't gotten to the big show yet. Two prospects help increase the odds that at least one coming in return will make it to the majors.*

As for Hamilton, obviously he needs seasoning at SS, with 24 errors. Either he must spend more time in the minors honing his defense, or be switched to a different position.

I don't get why they don't just throw Hamilton in center field.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,241 Times in 494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fetch View Post
    I don't get why they don't just throw Hamilton in center field.
    Because filling shortstop with quality talent is considerably more difficult than center. If he can stick at short they'll be much better off in the long run.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    104 (now) SB is just a ridiculous figure. It might be more shocking than when the Babe suddenly exploded for 54 homeruns. That's how unheard of that statistic is.

Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Because filling shortstop with quality talent is considerably more difficult than center. If he can stick at short they'll be much better off in the long run.
    But no one thinks he can. So make him an 80 center fielder and let him move up the minors rather than wasting his development.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Billy Hamilton... what a great name for his skills. Before Rickey Henderson and Lou Brock and even Ty Cobb, baseball had Sliding Billy Hamilton (944 career SBs, over 100 four times, HOF).

He is probably an OF, but of course the Twins would want such an exciting player at any position. I can't imagine why the Reds would trade him. He is guaranteed to sell tickets when he arrives.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I'm still anti-Hamilton although he is a top 50 prospect. I want to see how he hits outside of the cal league. It makes the PCL look like a pitcher's league with its thin air (less pitch movement), hard infield (allowing balls thru) and deep fences (the ball rolls forever). It's perfect for Hamilton. The SB's are ridiculous though.

I'm a lot more interested in Corcino since he doesn't come with the hype. Willingham for corcino and a 2nd decent prospect (top 100 tweener).

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hamilton was promoted to AA today.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really got to scratch your head with all the love for a 22 year old who just got promoted to AA and has a career .738 OPS in the minors (Rookie to high A) and is a Butcher on the field, while the Twins have a 24 year old in the majors with very similar skill set and .732 OPS this season in the majors and is pretty darn good on the field. And that someone is not seen as a "long term solution" (whatever that might be) for the Twins by a whole bunch of fans. Got to love the irony.

On the other hand, the Twins need MLB-ready SPs in return to a Liriano (and/or a Span) trade. This is not the draft where you go for the best player available and develop them, you got to fill need.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    On the other hand, the Twins need MLB-ready SPs in return to a Liriano (and/or a Span) trade. This is not the draft where you go for the best player available and develop them, you got to fill need.
    You still take the best talent. I would rather get a better OF prospect than a mediocre SP prospect even if that's not what the Twins need. There will only be a couple of teams interested in a player and you have to take what is available in their systems.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    You still take the best talent. I would rather get a better OF prospect than a mediocre SP prospect even if that's not what the Twins need. There will only be a couple of teams interested in a player and you have to take what is available in their systems.
    My point is that the Twins should not be after prospects. They need MLB-ready SPs, which means AAA and/or AA high level pitchers who are stuck behind others in their organizations but who are better now or in 2013 than what the Twins have left for their 2013 rotations. I don't care if it is the top 10 prospect in a system and is at Rk level... The Twins do not need that because unless they have a solid rotation in 2013 and 2014, there will be another 90+ loss season. And right now the 2013 rotation projects worse than the 2012 rotation that is awful.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    I guess that I've accepted that 2013 is going to be ugly. I would rather add the most talent to the org regardless of where the player is (minors/majors) or what position he plays.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    I guess that I've accepted that 2013 is going to be ugly. I would rather add the most talent to the org regardless of where the player is (minors/majors) or what position he plays.
    No way the Twins agree with you on this (2013 being ugly). If nothing else they have to sell tickets. But I would even argue they are two solid starters and a couple of things continuing on from being a contender in the Central. That is far from impossible to fill with $30 million in payroll and Span as an asset to trade.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Really got to scratch your head with all the love for a 22 year old who just got promoted to AA and has a career .738 OPS in the minors (Rookie to high A) and is a Butcher on the field, while the Twins have a 24 year old in the majors with very similar skill set and .732 OPS this season in the majors and is pretty darn good on the field. And that someone is not seen as a "long term solution" (whatever that might be) for the Twins by a whole bunch of fans. Got to love the irony.

First off, Hamilton is only 21 and is now in AA, it's not like he is 26 and repeating various levels.

Second off, Hamilton has shown quite a bit of improvement this year in his power over last year, in 2010 he showed pretty decent pop as well so his 2011 campaign is looking like the outlier at this point.

He has his issues at SS, but there is no reason why he couldn't make it work at 2B or CF. He is taking a lot more walks this year (almost 2x as often as his career average) and is a good bet to swipe 150+ bases by the end of this season. That is simply amazing.

Assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff in AA we are looking at a top 20 prospect. How you can say the Twins wouldn't be well off with gettng Hamilton is a bit mind boggling.

With all that said I highly doubt the Reds trade him for anyone we can offer. Liriano won't bring back enough and I imagine we'd have to include another piece with Span.

I for one would be absolutely thrilled with a Span for Hamilton straight up trade, and Hamilton is the type of prospect who could be ready to contribute at the major league level sometime in the 2013 season. (He will almost certainly be up with the Reds in sept for a playoff run as a weapon off the bench)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Agreed, take the guy with the highest upside/most talent and if everything works out you can always trade another bat later.
    Also if they do trade Span this year it does take an additional 4.75 mil(2013) and 6 mil (2014) off the books, just more money they could use to try to land some good free agent pitchers.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Reds beat writer, John Fay, wrote the other day about the Reds needing a leadoff hitter and specifically mentioned Denard Span, talking about how he could play center field, about his on-base percentage and about his long-term contract.

Assuming the Reds won't offer Hamilton, do they have a package that intrigues you? Would Cingrani or Corcino be enough?

How about the young SS Cozart? Say the Twins send Span and Carroll and get back...Corcino and Cozart?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast