Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Revere Experiment: Range vs Arm

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Ive looked for spray chart data, can't find it. But if right fielders are annually catching more balls than left fielders isn't that what we care about?
    Probably, but it's different if they (right fielders) are catching a higher % of fly balls hit their way (which would surprise me, especially by that margin) or if they're actually getting that many more chances (which is also slightly surprising, but makes more sense). Or some combination. Mostly curiosity, though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkratfrits View Post
    I'm not saying that Revere is not turning into a major league outfielder. I'm one of the biggest Revere bashers out there, but he still has a ways to go...
    Yes, he has a ways to go before he becomes a superstar, but remember, he's only 24. He doesn't have the power that Span does, but he can still get stronger. He also steals more and gets picked off less than Span.

Superstar? That's a wee bit lofty of an expectation to put on the kid. I don't see it. A valuable player, absolutely but not a superstar.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Regardless, the point remains the same. He's still very young, and has plenty of time to grow his skills

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll admit to being one of the naysayers on Revere and thus far, I am quite happy to be wrong. I'm not, however, convinced in him just yet.

1) To answer the original question, I doubt anyone would say that the arm is more important than the range. I'd agree that range is the most important defensive aspect of OF because it eliminates base runners alltogether. The arm, however, does cost the Twins runs. The question is how many runs are picked up with range that are cost with the arm. If I were a guessing man, it's probably 3 to 1 or so, which is still a net win... that said...

2) Revere's biggest problem is a lack of power. That hasn't changed. I don't know where people get the idea that a SB is the same as a double. It isn't. It is certainly better than a single and nothing, but a double will clear the bases with just about any runner on 1st. A stolen base does not advance runners, and last I checked, we have a manager that talks the talk with SBs but doesn't call them nearly as often as he should. This just means that Revere at the plate with runners on will typically generate less runs than a Mauer, Morneau, Willingham, or Plouff in the same situation. Putting him up at the top helps limit that exposure, which is fine.

3) His other problem, that to date he has fixed, is his ability to get on base. I'm not convinced that major leaguers will not adjust to him a bit, but based on what I saw of him this week, the kid should be able to consistently hit around the .300 mark as long as he takes good at bats like he did this series and continues to make good solid contact on the ball.

4) Like his pitch to contact brethern on the mound, Revere's skillset walks a very, very, very fine line. His usefullness will be non-existent when the speed drops off should he not develop any power. A small tweak to the hammy or something like that will result in an entire lost season. This is not the type of guy you want to depend on.

That said, his ceiling is still a Jason Tyner type player with better defense. It's a nice stop gap, but it isn't a stand out guy either. Tyner didn't walk much and could hit for average. He had no power and played pretty decent defense. I can live with a guy like that in the OF as a stop gap, but in reality he's more or less a very very very good 4th OF. Given that the Twins are not in contention, this should make it easy to trade Span if they want to add some starting pitching, as Revere should be able to hold down a spot until Arcia, Hicks, and Benson arrive, but to count on him for more than that is not a good idea.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    oh, and just to go off topic for a minute... With Joe Mauer and his swing at the 1st pitch less than 10% of the time, why doesn't Gardy call a hit and run with Revere on and Mauer at the plate? You know Joe is going to get a meatball...

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 600 Times in 336 Posts
    I'm not picking a fight, just curious - did Jackson take third today on Revere? I heard the radio call and it seemed like Provost intentionally covered it up mid-call, but maybe I was reading into it.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,203 Times in 480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'm not picking a fight, just curious - did Jackson take third today on Revere? I heard the radio call and it seemed like Provost intentionally covered it up mid-call, but maybe I was reading into it.
    Can't put that one I Revere I don't think. Once Jackson decided he was going for third I don't think it mattered.

Maybe Jackson decides to stay at second if a stronger arm was out there, but I doubt it.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

I can't remember it exactly, but I'm pretty sure Ben was on the warning track when he caught it. So, a pretty easy tag on most arms.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's too bad you can only either have a guy with great range and no arm or no range and a great arm.

Liked 2,935 Times in 1,253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    I can't remember it exactly, but I'm pretty sure Ben was on the warning track when he caught it. So, a pretty easy tag on most arms.
    I think they're talking about the triple.

FWIW, I was listening to the Tiger radio b'cast on the way to work, and they made it sound like a triple all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    With the exception of Tags. The reality is that players will take the extra base on an OF like Doumit... More often than Revere. . The reason... Revere gets to the ball faster and in better positin to make a throw with His speed and range. That is what runners use to decide if they are going or not. Where is the OF and where is the ball.

I haven't seen an example of a base gained because of Bens arm this year. There will be some to come (not many) but I haven't seen it yet.
    You obviously haven't been watching very closely... There were 3 in that disaster of a day game against the Chisox alone.

It was about midway along foul line wall in right field. Revere had to throw the ball to Dozier, the cutoff man though. Hard to say whether someone else would have made the throw, it would have been difficult but I think Jackson might think twice about trying for it if a strong arm was there instead.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson View Post
    It was about midway along foul line wall in right field. Revere had to throw the ball to Dozier, the cutoff man though. Hard to say whether someone else would have made the throw, it would have been difficult but I think Jackson might think twice about trying for it if a strong arm was there instead.
    Agreed.
    It's too subjective to try and really quantify a net positive or negative from Revere's defense in RF. Bottom line is it is still extremely silly to put him in right and Willingham in left, especially at Target field. He has gotten on base at a higher rate than I expected so far, and that makes him an ok starter. He's a "fun" player to watch, and I'm glad he's holding his own. I just would love to see the Twins maximize his defensive value by playing him in left or center. We often talk about out it's only a few runs difference, but this team doesn't have any margin for error.

Liked 2,152 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Poster Alive View Post
    You obviously haven't been watching very closely... There were 3 in that disaster of a day game against the Chisox alone.
    I didn't see that game. I also haven't seen runners flying around the bases because Ben is out there and I won't. Because too much is made of his arm.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 600 Times in 336 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I didn't see that game. I also haven't seen runners flying around the bases because Ben is out there and I won't. Because too much is made of his arm.
    Well, as long as you're being reasonable about it......

Liked 2,935 Times in 1,253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    Agreed.
    It's too subjective to try and really quantify a net positive or negative from Revere's defense in RF. Bottom line is it is still extremely silly to put him in right and Willingham in left, especially at Target field. He has gotten on base at a higher rate than I expected so far, and that makes him an ok starter. He's a "fun" player to watch, and I'm glad he's holding his own. I just would love to see the Twins maximize his defensive value by playing him in left or center. We often talk about out it's only a few runs difference, but this team doesn't have any margin for error.
    You can make a case for Revere in left, and Willingham in right, but extremely silly? No. The difference is very slight, at best. Revere's range plays the same in left or right. If indeed more balls are hit to right, and it's hard to read the baseball ref data any other way, then perhaps Revere's range even plays better in right. Some runners would advance on Revere's arm in left, just as they do when he's in right. Likely not as many, but it's not like a runner here and there wouldn't go first to third on a ball to Revere in left that wouldn't on Willingham, and a runner on third will occasionally tag and score on a fly ball to Revere in left that wouldn't score on Willingham.

People make way too much of this.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    [QUOTE=USAFChief

People make way too much of this.[/QUOTE]

What else do you do when the team has lousy pitching, lousy clutch hitting and thus a losing season?

Liked 2,152 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, as long as you're being reasonable about it......
    Im trying for reason... I really am.

Q: Does his arm suck comparably to the average?
    A: Yes it does.

Q: Can Ben throw the ball 200 feet
    A: Yes he can

Denard Span has played 1219 innings since 2011 and has 3 assists over that span(pun not intended).
    Ben Revere has played 1330 innings since 2011 and has 5 assists over that span.

Looking at 2011
    Alex Gordon played 1309 innings in 2011 and led the league with 20 Assists.
    Nick Swisher (Random RF) 1190 innings in 2011 9 assists.

Somehow Span gets a free pass for his arm and a large majority of posters wring their hands over Revere

In a similiar amount of innings Alex Gordon threw out 15 more runners than Revere which is a about 1 base runner every ten games. Keep in mind that Gordon was the top arm in 2011.

Random RF Nick Swisher threw out 9 last year. That's 1 more baserunner tossed every 35 games in comparison to Revere.

Swisher and Revere both have 2 this year. Ben has less innings this year. What exactly are we talking about here?

Its real simple... Bens arm does suck but Runners are advancing the extra base on Francouer and they are advancing on Ben Revere. They advance based upon where the ball is and where the fielder is.

Ben will get to the ball(assumption) 3 to 5 steps quicker than Ryan Doumit and should more often be able to get into a better throwing position with his Speed to the ball. This is what runners and base coaches use to determine if the extra base will be attempted to be taken. Does he have the ball in his hands or is he still running toward the ball. They don't want to get tossed out on the base paths. If Ben has the ball. They will stop the runner. He doesn't have a hose but he does have the ball and he can throw the ball faster than any of them can run despite his piss poor arm.

The Hose from the OF is a beautiful thing and it's a key out when it happens. Absolutely huge... It just doesn't happen that often and I haven't witnessed an over abundance of advancement of extra bases on Bens arm.

I missed the White Sox debacle. Would Parmelee or Willingham in RF made a difference in that game. I don't know... I didn't see it. In the games I've watched. The arm just hasn't come into play enough to say that it's a concern.

I say this as reasonably as I can.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 07-06-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There has been more than one time this season that I have been impressed with the throws from Revere. I liked his range better in CF last year but he has been fine in RF this season.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast