Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Fuentes

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries

Brian Fuentes

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. Given the prospect that DFAd Brian Fuentes might become available at virtually no cost, what would be the downside in signing him if he were to fall into the Twins laps?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. Given the prospect that DFAd Brian Fuentes might become available at virtually no cost, what would be the downside in signing him if he were to fall into the Twins laps?
    A roster spot?

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he clears waivers and is available for the minimum, I'd guess he'd prefer to sign with a contender.

If he's claimed on waivers, he'll cost about $3 minimum ($2.5m for the rest of the year; $.5m buyout for next year).

It will be interesting to see if the A's can find a trade partner.

I kind of doubt the Twins would put in a claim for him, but it might be worth taking a shot, seeing if he can turn it around and sell him at the end of August.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    A roster spot?
    You mean, Casey Fien's spot? Jeff Gray's spot?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What do we need him for?

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    What do we need him for?
    Casey Fien....Jeff Gray.....Kyle Waldrop......Cole DeVries....Pick up a proven veteran on the cheap. Chance to stabilize the staff some more with a former Twin, to boot....Possible trade chip or sweetener somewhere down the road.....Emergency pitching management if/when Duensing goes down, as we effectively are looking at a de facto switch to a full-time bullpen mode pitching staff, sans Jeff Diamond...Need I go on?

exactly.....wouldnt mind it. But if we're gonna go 3deep in lefties out of the pen, Id probably want to take a look at Caleb Thielbar first

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    exactly.....wouldnt mind it. But if we're gonna go 3deep in lefties out of the pen, Id probably want to take a look at Caleb Thielbar first
    I like the thought of Thielbar getting a shot, too. The way this season is going, he might be the last man standing for a possible SP spot duty role. Still, Fuentes offers little downside with a boatload of experience to help stabilize this pitching staff and a nice potential trading chip if he returns closer to career norms (he pitched at or above those earlier this season at Oakland).

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    I would like to add, that the Rochester SP lineup is going to look quite impressive this July. Besides, Hendriks and Blackburn, add Pavano and now, probably Duensing for likely upcoming multiple rehab assignments

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With Duensing essentially a starter (if he recovers from the ankle) and Perkins essentially the closer, the only lefty we really have to rely on in the bullpen is Robertson, and it is way too early to predict his long-term success. If they think they can move Capps or he won't be coming back from injury, and they plan to have Duensing stay in the rotation the rest of the year, I'd say go for it. He did pitch fantastic in the 9 games he was with us before. Claiming him won't really put a significant dent in their payroll for next year, and it might give them some more flexibility to deal with our rapidly depleting pitching staff. Heck, if he pitched at his career averages, and the rest of our BP pitches like they've been doing most of the year, we could probably try that 4 man rotation thing, and just yank everyone but Diamond out after 5 innings.

ROC also has PJ Walters right now also

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    With Duensing essentially a starter (if he recovers from the ankle) and Perkins essentially the closer, the only lefty we really have to rely on in the bullpen is Robertson, and it is way too early to predict his long-term success. If they think they can move Capps or he won't be coming back from injury, and they plan to have Duensing stay in the rotation the rest of the year, I'd say go for it. He did pitch fantastic in the 9 games he was with us before. Claiming him won't really put a significant dent in their payroll for next year, and it might give them some more flexibility to deal with our rapidly depleting pitching staff. Heck, if he pitched at his career averages, and the rest of our BP pitches like they've been doing most of the year, we could probably try that 4 man rotation thing, and just yank everyone but Diamond out after 5 innings.
    Absolutely spot on.

4 man rotation is basically a fait accompli, yanking everyone but Diamond out is already pretty much happening, why not just make it "the plan"? I wonder if someone can do the research. I would guess that the pitching discrepancy gap between the starters and bullpen performance numbers might be near the worst of any team all-time.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    ROC also has PJ Walters right now also
    Good point. I know Walters is probably around ML minimum, but, are we looking at a record-setting 5 man SP AAA (temporary) payroll if this comes to fruition in July?

Good point. I know Walters is probably around ML minimum, but, are we looking at a record-setting 5 man SP AAA (temporary) payroll if this comes to fruition in July?
    Hendriks, DeVries & Walters all get the prorated minor league portion for pay....bout 15K/month (75K)....Pavano, Duensing (if on rehab) & Blacky get their full paycheck

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does Blacky still get his full paycheck even though he was optioned down?

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Hendriks, DeVries & Walters all get the prorated minor league portion for pay....bout 15K/month (75K)....Pavano, Duensing (if on rehab) & Blacky get their full paycheck
    In the case of the first 3, is that a function of their limited MLB service time?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Does Blacky still get his full paycheck even though he was optioned down?
    Every penny.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the case of the first 3, is that a function of their limited MLB service time?
    I think whenever guys have contracts renewed (all pre-arbitration years), they are split contracts. So, yeah... its based on their lack of service time.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Only if he can start the first inning and make it to the 5th without giving up 4 to 6 runs or get injured in some freak way and need to be pulled.

To recap-Bullpen: good- Starters: historically awful.

His prescence as cannon fodder would help once the bullpen is burnt out from having to come in every 3rd night or so in the fourth inning, but there are cheaper alternatives. Besides, he can see the writing on the wall here and knows that in August and September this Pen could be in tatters due to overuse. Why come here unless they can get someone besides Diamond to give them consistent innings?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Casey Fien....Jeff Gray.....Kyle Waldrop......Cole DeVries....Pick up a proven veteran on the cheap. Chance to stabilize the staff some more with a former Twin, to boot....Possible trade chip or sweetener somewhere down the road.....Emergency pitching management if/when Duensing goes down, as we effectively are looking at a de facto switch to a full-time bullpen mode pitching staff, sans Jeff Diamond...Need I go on?
    But what makes us think he would be any better than those? Have you seen his numbers this year? Awful. 6.84 ERA, 1.600 WHIP, .291 average against - just looks to me like he's out of gas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast