Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Trade Target Team Profile: L.A. Dodgers

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have been hoping that someone would do the Dodgers. Thanks for this.

Valencia has had some recent multi homer games at Rochester and has had some success in the majors. Now that Plouffe has become a home run hitting machine, Valencia seems expendable. As you have stated, Uribe is old and hitting poorly. It seems to me that Valencia has decent upside and is a cheap bet.

Valencia seems like the kind of publicity loving player who might thrive in Los Angeles -- a change of scene might greatly improve his performance. So I think that it would be wise for the Twins to see if the Dodgers might have serious interest in Valencia.
    Last edited by glunn; 07-01-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: typo

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Twins will try and move Valencia before the deadline. I don't think the Twins would get a great return for Valencia - and the Dodgers don't appear to have an "formerly-drafted-by-the-Twins" players to trade them. (Blake Dean, unsigned pick in 2009, retired this offseason.)

I view it kind of the same way that everyone viewed Kevin Slowey as on the way out during the lead up to last year's deadline. But who really knows...?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Nice write-up, I've been hoping we make a move with the Dodgers before. Span, particularly, would be a great fit for them. Lee apparently vetoed the trade to LA so Morneau would still be an option although I still don't think the Twins will trade him this year.

Plouffe's an interesting idea but my guess is that the Twins would rather hold him, since he's cheap and we don't have an obvious third baseman if he's gone.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Gould's the prospect that was going to go in the nixed Carlos Lee deal. FWIW.

Nice piece. Looks like they have a lot of arms.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From Danny Knobler (link):

The Dodgers have talked about quite a few other hitters, including both Justin Morneau and Josh Willingham of the Twins. The Twins have said it's a longshot that they trade Willingham, however.
    I wonder if the Dodgers get shut out by the Cubs, if the Twins could swing a deal for Liriano where the Dodgers also have to take Morneau and the Twins still get a couple of decent (not great) pitching prospects. I'd be OK with that deal.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 824 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Morneau, if he continues to progress will have a lot more value next year. Unless Ryan is planning on spending a ton of cash this offseason on pitching, he'd be wise to wait on Morneau.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    I don't get the hesitancy to trade a 33 year old, given the state of this club, but whatever....

As for Morneau, if they can deal him, it would be great. I love his game, and his involvement in the community. I will miss him greatly, he's everything we should like in our sports people. But they need the money for pitching, and you can move Benson or Mauer or someone to 1B if you need to....or even Parmalee could step up despite my doubts. I'd certainly agree to pay 100% of his salary this year, as that is sunk payroll anyway, if that helps me get better players in return.
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The only reason people want to keep Morneau is for personal reason cause they root for the guy or the MVP he didn't deserve in 2006 still means something to them.

If the Dodgers want him and are willing to pick up even a penny of that contract you make that trade and you don't even think twice about it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    The only reason people want to keep Morneau is for personal reason cause they root for the guy or the MVP he didn't deserve in 2006 still means something to them.

If the Dodgers want him and are willing to pick up even a penny of that contract you make that trade and you don't even think twice about it.
    Having the intellect and wisdom to know the inner thoughts and feelings of thousands and thousands of strangers is pretty impressive. To quote Fletch: "God I admire you."

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or because logically no one's going to give up much for a first baseman with a .750 OPS, injury concerns and $20M left on his contract.

If he finishes strong and healthy, things change a bit. I certainly don't think he's in danger of decreasing his value between now and the offseason. So really, what's the argument in favor of trading him for a paltry return right now? Save the Pohalds $5 million? Make room for Parmelee? There are certainly ways they can get Parm into the lineup without giving away Morneau for nothing.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 824 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries

No, it's because you won't get jack squat for him now, and as you've stated before, the team isn't goint to take the cash and add starting pitching up the wazoo. He won't get much of anything right now. Even if his level of play doesn't change from here on out, he's going to fetch quite a bit more by simply having 1/2 year left on his contract... and if by chance he continues to improve, that value only goes up.

He isn't going to get us a thing now other than to lower the value of one of our other trade pieces, so I really don't get your insistence on trading him.

The Twins could probably get Ivan Dejesus for cheap from the Dodgers. Former top 100 guy - SS, not sure how he is supposed to be with the glove. He can probably compete and take Casilla's job. Has a decent bat as well.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Having the intellect and wisdom to know the inner thoughts and feelings of thousands and thousands of strangers is pretty impressive. To quote Fletch: "God I admire you."
    First prize.

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,356 Posts

You still haven't told us why the Twins should want to get rid of Morneau for nothing but salary relief, when you yourself have told us that not only won't the Twins be investing that money this winter in pitching, but if fact they shouldn't invest that money this winter.

Are you one of Carl's grandkids? Worried about the enheritence?