Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72

Thread: Target Field Park Factor

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,220
    Like
    15
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26

    Target Field Park Factor

    In 2010 and 2011, Target Field park factor for run scoring was .962 and .944. It is considered to be a pitcher's park. Through half of a season this year, park factor for run scoring is 1.053. Home runs are still down, but everything else is up.

    It takes more than two years to determine how a venue will impact run scoring. Look at data for Mall of America Field from 2007-2009 and you will see significant season to season variance even in a climate controlled venue.

    Our assumptions about Target Field being a pitcher's park may be incorrect. It hasn't been thus far this year.

    If you are interested, park factor data can be found at http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Thanks for the link Jorgens.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,040
    Like
    1,175
    Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    In 2010 and 2011, Target Field park factor for run scoring was .962 and .944. It is considered to be a pitcher's park. Through half of a season this year, park factor for run scoring is 1.053. Home runs are still down, but everything else is up.

    It takes more than two years to determine how a venue will impact run scoring. Look at data for Mall of America Field from 2007-2009 and you will see significant season to season variance even in a climate controlled venue.

    Our assumptions about Target Field being a pitcher's park may be incorrect. It hasn't been thus far this year.

    If you are interested, park factor data can be found at http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor
    The one stadium I always felt was a pitchers park was Oakland. That foul territory has to be a pitchers advantage. The data doesn't necessarily support that thinking I guess.

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,508
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    The ones who were crying about the field were the players.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    The ones who were crying about the field were the players.
    Nobody cried. People were able to discuss things at an adult level with some thought. Well...some people.

  6. #6
    Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Posts
    542
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    401
    With the way Plouffe and Willingham have been jerking home runs to left field, it certainly isn't looking like a pitchers park. Players are starting to figure out how to hit at Target Field and that is making the offensive numbers show up.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,308
    Like
    1,399
    Liked 1,063 Times in 476 Posts
    I've been saying for 2 yrs, "lets wait a bit before we declare TF to be the grand canyon."

    There's nothing in the dimensions that should make it a huge pitcher's park. The RF alley is tough with the tall wall, but other than that, it's not that big.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I've been saying for 2 yrs, "lets wait a bit before we declare TF to be the grand canyon."

    There's nothing in the dimensions that should make it a huge pitcher's park. The RF alley is tough with the tall wall, but other than that, it's not that big.
    Agreed that it shouldn't be huge. But the aforementioned wall extends an awfully long way toward center and makes homers in a certain trajectory very, very rare. The thing I think is strange is that there are very few that go out to center (has the batter's eye ever been hit? Thome's two OVER it are all the more amazing when considering that maybe nobody else has even pelted it), and even the bullpens haven't been hit that often. That alley-to-alley range has played deep, and the dimensions aren't likely the cause. As you mention, it's not much different distance-wise than a lot of other places.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,078
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    2 years isn't enough data but 1/2 of a year tells you something? Interesting...

  10. #10
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,616
    Like
    828
    Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    2 years isn't enough data but 1/2 of a year tells you something? Interesting...
    My thought as well.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  11. #11
    Conventional wisdom dictates that summertime gives hotter temps, which help carry the ball further.

    Another theory is perhaps Twins players (and opposing teams) are understanding how to hit at Target Field now. Personally, I just think our pitching hasn’t been so great, and out hitting has been picking up as of late, as to partial reasons why it’s up this year.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    2 years isn't enough data but 1/2 of a year tells you something? Interesting...
    Would be more interesting if you could find where anyone made that leap in this thread.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,508
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Nobody cried. People were able to discuss things at an adult level with some thought. Well...some people.
    You must have missed the quotes by Cuddyer, Kubel, and Morneau.

    Cuddyer "any ball hit in right-center is an out, pretty much."

    Kubel ""I made some adjustments, but I made them a year later. Not trying to pull the ball and put it in the air so much. Start hitting line drives all over the place."

    Kubel “There’s a big wall there and the outfield is deep. It’s tough on a line drive hitter but the high wall and deep outfield makes that a difficult hitter’s park.”

    Morneau "“Right-center to left-center is ridiculous. [It's] almost impossible for a righthanded hitter to [homer to the] opposite field and very difficult for lefties. It affects the hitters a lot, and you start to develop bad habits as a hitter when you feel like you can only pull the ball to hit it over the fence. You take those habits on the road.”

    Sounds like a lot of crying to me lol. Good thing Plouffe, Willingham, Parmelee and Thome aren't that worried about it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,220
    Like
    15
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    2 years isn't enough data but 1/2 of a year tells you something? Interesting...
    I had to reread what I wrote originally.

    I should have been more clear for you. Did you assume I implied that it was now a hitter's park? Sorry about that. My point is that there is a lot of variance with parks from year to year and the first two years of data from Target Field probably is not enough to declare it a pitcher's park.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,040
    Like
    1,175
    Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Its possible that the Plaza could be a factor. I'm not saying it while banging down a gavel. Its possible... The plaza is an open spot and the wind will funnel through it and could knock down balls. I admit I don't know what direction it faces cuz I'm bad with directions but if it faces a typical wind direction it could cause problems for lefties. Mauer... Morneau and Kubel haven't hit a ton of Target field homers. Thome... well he's a power freak... It would take an F3 tornado to knock his ball down.

    Righties do seem to hit more. I said seem... I didn't research anything.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    You must have missed the quotes by Cuddyer, Kubel, and Morneau.

    Cuddyer "any ball hit in right-center is an out, pretty much."

    Kubel ""I made some adjustments, but I made them a year later. Not trying to pull the ball and put it in the air so much. Start hitting line drives all over the place."

    Kubel “There’s a big wall there and the outfield is deep. It’s tough on a line drive hitter but the high wall and deep outfield makes that a difficult hitter’s park.”

    Morneau "“Right-center to left-center is ridiculous. [It's] almost impossible for a righthanded hitter to [homer to the] opposite field and very difficult for lefties. It affects the hitters a lot, and you start to develop bad habits as a hitter when you feel like you can only pull the ball to hit it over the fence. You take those habits on the road.”

    Sounds like a lot of crying to me lol. Good thing Plouffe, Willingham, Parmelee and Thome aren't that worried about it.
    Every one of those seems like someone analyzing what they do for a living and nothing more.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    888
    Like
    38
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    The one stadium I always felt was a pitchers park was Oakland. That foul territory has to be a pitchers advantage. The data doesn't necessarily support that thinking I guess.
    It's still grading out as a pitcher's park (19th in baseball in runs) this year, and it's not finished higher than 19th in any season. That said, this is not a "park factor" statistic. It's a runs allowed statistic. Yankee stadium grades out as a hitter's park easily, yet it's often lower in runs scored because the Yankees typically have solid pitching.

    Baseball-reference uses a grading system on all parks with a 100 score being average (explained here), over 100 being hitter friendly, and under 100 being pitcher friendly. This season the batter/pitcher average is 99, the multi-year grade is 97. While year to year grades will show plenty of variance, the multi-year grade often is very true to form. Target Field is the 10th most pitcher-friendly park in that statistic, ranking behind your assumed parks (Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles (both of them), San Diego, etc., but also ranking as more of a pitcher's park than some assumed pitchers' paradises like Washington, Oakland, and Atlanta. To compare, Yankee stadium is the 6th most hitter-friendly park according to B-Ref's park adjustments, but they're 16th in runs scored this season.

    Terms like "pitcher-friendly" or "hitter-friendly" cannot be simply evaluated with home runs or runs scored. Coors Field is incredibly hitter friendly, but it has some of the largest dimensions of any field in the game, which would on the surface look pitching friendly. However, the thinner air and huge outfield hurt pitchers as line drives often take different routes in the Colorado air and can cut through and out of the park where they'd often die due to air friction in a similar-sized park closer to sea level.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  18. #18
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,121
    Like
    370
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Originally Posted by Badsmerf You must have missed the quotes by Cuddyer, Kubel, and Morneau. Cuddyer "any ball hit in right-center is an out, pretty much." Kubel ""I made some adjustments, but I made them a year later. Not trying to pull the ball and put it in the air so much. Start hitting line drives all over the place." Kubel “There’s a big wall there and the outfield is deep. It’s tough on a line drive hitter but the high wall and deep outfield makes that a difficult hitter’s park.” Morneau "“Right-center to left-center is ridiculous. [It's] almost impossible for a righthanded hitter to [homer to the] opposite field and very difficult for lefties. It affects the hitters a lot, and you start to develop bad habits as a hitter when you feel like you can only pull the ball to hit it over the fence. You take those habits on the road.”Sounds like a lot of crying to me lol. Good thing Plouffe, Willingham, Parmelee and Thome aren't that worried about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Every one of those seems like someone analyzing what they do for a living and nothing more.
    Don't forget to add Joe Mauer for nothing more than analyzing what he does for a living:

    "
    It's definitely frustrating as a left-handed hitter," Mauer said. "I'd be lying if I told you there aren't times at the plate where you're like, 'Oh, I've got to maybe pull a ball,' or things like that. It messes with your approach a little bit."


    Don't forget that they apparently complained as a group (oh, I meant to say analyzing what they do for a living) to remove the center field trees after 2010- only to see averages and production plummet further.

    I'd love to hear Plouffe, Willingham, Parmelee and Thome,....and Soriano,......and Bautista.... Oh wait, Thome has gone public with his analyzing what he does (did/er, will do again, now that he's back in the AL as an Oriole) for a living. Here's Thome griping away:


    "There were some balls that you hit that could get knocked down, sure, I think maybe (it's) the weather or something," Thome said. "Whatever. You just go hit. You don't really worry about all that."
    Last edited by jokin; 07-02-2012 at 01:16 AM.

  19. #19
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    27
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    3
    Note that the recent increase in homers is heavily tilted to left field. Right field remains a problem due to plaza wind tunnel effect with wind blowing in more than out and the right center wall. To get a ball over that wall on the CF side requires a blast almost like Thome's two over the batter's eye.

  20. #20
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,040
    Like
    1,175
    Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Reporter: Joe, the home run totals at Target field are down considerably from the Metrodome. Especially for left handers. Do you find this frustrating?

    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post

    "
    It's definitely frustrating as a left-handed hitter," Mauer said. "I'd be lying if I told you there aren't times at the plate where you're like, 'Oh, I've got to maybe pull a ball,' or things like that. It messes with your approach a little bit."
    FOLLOWED by the reaction of some not so nice fans who refer to this as crying.

    At what point... do you realize that you are either borderline insane or losing human qualities or at least really bad with your use of adjectives.

    Seriously... Why Do they speak at all? With people like Badsmerf and you around?
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 07-02-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.