Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morneau for Gould?

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries

Morneau for Gould?

Would you trade Morneau for Garrett Gould?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sure, but only if the Dodgers at all of Morneau's salary.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,526 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's an interesting idea but for me to pull the trigger on that, I'd want the Dodgers to pick up part of Morneau's contract (not all, just some) so that the team could go out and find more short-term pitching solutions than Gould.

Gould is far from a sure thing. He's scuffling a bit as a 20 year old at high A. I'd want some insurance against him falling on his face.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 361 Times in 183 Posts
    I'd rather trade Santana for Kemp+Kershaw+Billingsley+Loney.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if a Morneau trade will happen this yr..just not a market for him with injury and salary. Next trade dealine or maybe even this summer if he stays healthy and finishes strong but Twins will have to eat some salary to get it done and that's reasonable. Parmalee has to be a full time 1B by some point next season IMO.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You'll be able to discuss Gould (and more) in a few hours when the next "Trade Target Team Profile" is posted...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Yeah, that's an interesting idea but for me to pull the trigger on that, I'd want the Dodgers to pick up part of Morneau's contract (not all, just some) so that the team could go out and find more short-term pitching solutions than Gould.

Gould is far from a sure thing. He's scuffling a bit as a 20 year old at high A. I'd want some insurance against him falling on his face.
    Gould has a 23% K rate and 7% BB rate in the Cal league. His ERA might be high but the Cal league makes the PCL look pitcher friendly.

I would make this trade if the Dodgers/Twins split the salary owed.

He might be a bust but developing pitching is about having quantity vs quality. Note that the quantity has to be talented with some projection.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the Carlos Lee deal falling through the cracks, I like the sound of this deal. It would also be nice to free up some playing time for Parmelee so he isn't just sitting on the bench.

I would give Morneau away if the team was willing to take his salary. Remember, that the $14M that he's making can be used on someone who can actually still excel in the bigs.

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a tough one. Morneau has MVP potential, but is not having a good year. Gould has some upside bit may never pan out.

Is Morneau more valuable than Carlos Lee? It seems to me that Morneau has a lot more upside and maybe more downside (due to his vulnerability to concussions). I would certainly want the Twins to see if they could do better than just Gould.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    This is a tough one. Morneau has MVP potential, but is not having a good year. Gould has some upside bit may never pan out.

Is Morneau more valuable than Carlos Lee? It seems to me that Morneau has a lot more upside and maybe more downside (due to his vulnerability to concussions). I would certainly want the Twins to see if they could do better than just Gould.
    I posted the question cuz I really don't know how I'd feel. I talk all tough about moving anyone for pitching. Then you look a deal in the face like Carlos Lee for Gould and you think to yourself is that comparable value for Justin Morneau.

And then you wonder... How would you feel if that was the trade piece we get back for Morneau. Then I think... My god... I'm a big wussy... Self doubting Monday morning armchair quarterback who's nervous all of a sudden on Friday.

There(exhale)... My soul is bared.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crotalo View Post
    I would give Morneau away if the team was willing to take his salary. Remember, that the $14M that he's making can be used on someone who can actually still excel in the bigs.
    The Twins have not shown that losing high-priced veterans means more money to spend on free agents. The year after the Twins lost Hunter and Santana their payroll dropped $14 million. After losing Cuddyer, Kubel and Nathan last year the Twins payroll dropped $13 million DESPITE signing Josh Willingham for $7 million a year. Also, the person you'd be expecting to "excell" would be Chris Parmelee who has shown no proof of being able to do so. If the Twins can get prospects back for Morneau I'm totally listening, but I could give a dog fart about the $14 million coming off the books because I don't believe for a second the team would put that savings back into the payroll.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes yes yes...and I don't even like Gould that much.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,526 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Gould has a 23% K rate and 7% BB rate in the Cal league. His ERA might be high but the Cal league makes the PCL look pitcher friendly.

I would make this trade if the Dodgers/Twins split the salary owed.

He might be a bust but developing pitching is about having quantity vs quality. Note that the quantity has to be talented with some projection.
    Oh, I'm pretty high on Gould. I was simply pointing out that he has scuffled just a bit (but, as you pointed out, his peripherals are still solid). I wouldn't be too concerned about the scuffling, just pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The Twins have not shown that losing high-priced veterans means more money to spend on free agents. The year after the Twins lost Hunter and Santana their payroll dropped $14 million. After losing Cuddyer, Kubel and Nathan last year the Twins payroll dropped $13 million DESPITE signing Josh Willingham for $7 million a year. Also, the person you'd be expecting to "excell" would be Chris Parmelee who has shown no proof of being able to do so. If the Twins can get prospects back for Morneau I'm totally listening, but I could give a dog fart about the $14 million coming off the books because I don't believe for a second the team would put that savings back into the payroll.
    The Twins are generally a team that spends payroll as a percentage of revenue. Revenue was down last year...payroll goes down. Even if they're only willing to spend $7-9M of the $14M that Justin is making, it's likely to be a much better investment than Justin is...because since he got hurt in 2010, he's pretty much been a detriment save for 2 weeks this year.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd shoot for Zach Lee from them and have the Twins throw a prospect or 2 if they need to balance it

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Should we trade Morneau for gold? Let's see - he weighs 220lbs, or 3,520 ounces. The current value of gold is about $1600/oz. That would total a touch over $5.6M. Go for it. We could invest that in the rotation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I'd shoot for Zach Lee from them and have the Twins throw a prospect or 2 if they need to balance it
    This is just being greedy. At this point the Twins should be happy to get a decent prospect for Morneau.

Liked 3,028 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crotalo View Post
    The Twins are generally a team that spends payroll as a percentage of revenue. Revenue was down last year...payroll goes down. Even if they're only willing to spend $7-9M of the $14M that Justin is making, it's likely to be a much better investment than Justin is...because since he got hurt in 2010, he's pretty much been a detriment save for 2 weeks this year.
    That seems unlikely at best. Got any proof of that claim?

I can see the possibility that in-stadium revenue was down last year, but there would have been no way to predict that going into the season last year. They were in year 2 of a new stadium, coming off a year in which they made the postseason, and there was a waiting list for season tickets. As bad as last year was, 2011 attendance was over 3.1M.

For the record, they're still averaging +/- 35,000 this year.

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I posted the question cuz I really don't know how I'd feel. I talk all tough about moving anyone for pitching. Then you look a deal in the face like Carlos Lee for Gould and you think to yourself is that comparable value for Justin Morneau.

And then you wonder... How would you feel if that was the trade piece we get back for Morneau. Then I think... My god... I'm a big wussy... Self doubting Monday morning armchair quarterback who's nervous all of a sudden on Friday.

There(exhale)... My soul is bared.
    If they do trade Morneau, let's hope that they get more than Gould. If the Dodgers get even more desperate and if Morneau can pick up his game, the deal might be sweeter. One good think about the Twins position is that they can afford to be patient and hope that others will become desperate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast