Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention Mauer Haters!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Attention Mauer Haters!

Joe is now 5th in the AL in batting and 1st in OBP.

He is also 2nd among all catchers in BA, 2B, OBP, and OPS (thanks to the currently godlike Carlos Ruiz). He is 3rd in walks and... wait for it... AB!

C'mon haters, bring it on!

But he makes 23 million and is too laid back.
    LOLz. Couldn't kee a straight face. Go, Joe!

not at all a Mauer hater, WAY more of a fan...but cannot stand that he cannot hit for extra base power (NOT homeruns...doubles).
    Hard to complain right now, but his ISO of .123 is atrocious.
    Stay healthy & catch more. A singles hitting batting champ is something Id give up for an everyday catcher

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 156 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Earlier today I tweeted that I'm as optimistic about Mauer as I've been in years. But before we get too carried away...

Those are nice accomplishments. But his overall OPS is 865. That's a nice number, especially for a catcher.
    Except that he's not a full time catcher. He has 33 starts there out of 75 games. And he has 31 starts at first base or DH.

The bottom line, I think, is this: for those that want to compare his performance to his $23M price tag, Mauer is never going to be worth it. And that's because he likely is never going to be worth it. Not unless he adds the same power he had in 2009 and gets bionic hips/knees that allow him to catch 125 times per year. If you need him to be the Baby Jesus to enjoy his game, you're going to be disappointed. You can decide if it's his or the Twins or the media's or your fault that you're disappointed.

But for those that can ignore the price tag, he's a hell of a good player most of the time, including right now. And he's also 29. If the Twins can keep him healthy, and if Mauer can keep working on his game, there could be a lot of happy days for him, the Twins and their fans ahead.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was driving up to the north shore on Thursday and listening on the radio; there was an interesting discussion with Jim Souhan about Mauer and Morneau, about why Mauer is hated by so many fans and why Morneau has basically gotten a pass, even though based on performance Mauer is far outstripping Morneau. Some of the conclusions/conjectures: The price tag - $14M is easier to swallow than $23M; Morneau gave the appearance of trying harder to get back on the field after injury (I emphasize appearance, not necessarily reality); and Morneau just has a more likeable personality - Mauer is more guarded with the media and just can't win people over with ease like Morneau can.

[QUOTE=John Bonnes;29545]Those are nice accomplishments. But his overall OPS is 865. That's a nice number, especially for a catcher.
    Except that he's not a full time catcher. He has 33 starts there out of 75 games. And he has 31 starts at first base or DH. QUOTE]

Agree 100%.

I want Joe Mauer to catch.....not Mark Grace at 1B/DH----pay is secondary

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 473 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it is a conundrum. Mauer is a fine hitter for a catcher. He is merely above average if considered a first baseman/DH. It certainly appears for whatever reason that Mauer won't be able to catch 120+ games this year or in the future. It seems to me that Mauer should catch as much as he can, but he seems to suffer too many dings to catch much more than half time.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    I do not believe that there are many people who actually hate Mauer. A lot of folks were angry and upset with him last year. There were plenty of reasons to be upset. Mauer is trying very hard to make amends for last year. I believe, most of the public realizes this. Most of the time when I am at Target Field, he is getting a warm reception. Folks such as Phil Mackey and Jim Souhan, will play up the (hate Joe mauer angle) They need a group that they can refer to as being " stupid, crazy and foolish idiots." They get their ammunition mostly from twitter, newspaper comments and supposedly their own emails. These outlets represent a very small portion of the Twins Fan Base.
    Last edited by Highabove; 06-30-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Liked 687 Times in 360 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was frustrated by what seemed like a lack of preparation and effort last year. I also would like to see Joe take more of a leadership role. But I have never been a hater.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I was frustrated by what seemed like a lack of preparation and effort last year. I also would like to see Joe take more of a leadership role. But I have never been a hater.
    My sentiments exactly. The catching position is a natural leadership position, unfortunately that just doesn't appear to complement Joe's natural personality, which at times, when dealing with the media, is somewhat reminiscent of the classic literary character from Gone With The Wind, the milquetoast Ashley Wilkes. It just doesn't appear in his nature to do what Puck, and to a lesser extent, Hunter, accepted naturally, ie, the willingness to put the team on his back. He was seemingly unaware that with his new contract now in effect, that more would be asked and expected of him in terms of "preparation and effort".

When he's playing near the top of his game at the plate, he's a marvel with the bat, it is somewhat reminiscent to what Rod Carew could do with the stick, without the bunting. Unfortunately, he's being paid to produce like 2009 is his normal output.

For him to come closer to justifying his contract he must 1) stay healthy, which should limit the batting slumps; 2)continue to reverse his semi-disastrous early-season GB/FB ratio (even now, still ridiculously high at 3.15 vs career 1.89); 3) which in turn, can continue to increase his slugging percentage closer back to career norms (check out Joe's 2010 stats, they almost perfectly match his career norms- 2010: 327/402/469 vs career numbers of 324/404/469), after today, Mauer's slugging % has soared significantly this month to his present season high of 448. 4) Joe has had 3 of 8 years in his career exceeding a 500 SLG %, which was accomplished w/o a drop in BA. I'd gladly trade a few points of OBA for a few more points of SLG for a player making $23 MIL and batting in the 3 spot.

I give the Twins and Mauer credit for effectuating a plan in terms of managing/limiting his catching duties in order to maximize his value at the plate. Joe's current rate of games at the catcher position relative to total games played for 2012 is only 44%. That translates out to only around 72 games at catcher for Mauer in a 162 game season and that probably is what it is for the rest of his career, which changes the valuation metrics on his contract significantly.
    Last edited by jokin; 07-01-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by john bonnes View Post
    the bottom line, i think, is this: For those that want to compare his performance to his $23m price tag, mauer is never going to be worth it. And that's because he likely is never going to be worth it.
    wtf?

mauer haters, or hauer maters?

rutger's single, y'all.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckninetyone View Post
    mauer haters, or hauer maters?

rutger's single, y'all.
    Finally, Buck posts. Something to look forward to.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have been ridiculed for thinking that FanGraphs "value" is useful at all, but it is at $10.6 million right now.

Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    I have been ridiculed for thinking that FanGraphs "value" is useful at all, but it is at $10.6 million right now.
    I have also used that in a couple prior blog posts on Mauer. I don't put much stock in it, but it's just another "tool" in the arsenal to compare players.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Whenever I want to complain about him leading the league in GIDP, I just have to remind myself: so did Kirby Puckett most years.

Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For Mauer to be loved again... All he has to do is
    Hit around .330 like he's doing and add about 22 more dingers each year.

Oh yeah... Stay Healthy and if he does get hurt... make sure that everyone can see a big ace bandage wrapped around the injury for the duration. At least limp.

Stop selling Shampoo and only endorse Grain Belt or other truly Minnesota companies.

If Mauer does all of that. He will be loved again.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The bottom line, I think, is this: for those that want to compare his performance to his $23M price tag, Mauer is never going to be worth it. And that's because he likely is never going to be worth it. Not unless he adds the same power he had in 2009 and gets bionic hips/knees that allow him to catch 125 times per year. If you need him to be the Baby Jesus to enjoy his game, you're going to be disappointed. You can decide if it's his or the Twins or the media's or your fault that you're disappointed.

But for those that can ignore the price tag, he's a hell of a good player most of the time, including right now. And he's also 29. If the Twins can keep him healthy, and if Mauer can keep working on his game, there could be a lot of happy days for him, the Twins and their fans ahead.
    This says it perfectly. I say just enjoy how good he is. The money is spent... It's guaranteed. Just enjoy having one of the greats of the game, rather than always having to put it up against something else.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,489 Times in 781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woolhouse View Post
    Whenever I want to complain about him leading the league in GIDP, I just have to remind myself: so did Kirby Puckett most years.
    I'll probably get blasted for saying this but Joe Mauer is a better baseball player than Kirby Puckett.

He's not a perfect baseball player but it looks like he's turning the corner again and he's not putting the ball on the ground so often in the past six weeks. He'll always GIDP a fair amount because he hits the ball on the ground a lot, he's relatively slow, he makes a ton of contact, and the Twins have decent OBP guys in front of him who don't hit for much power (meaning that if they're on base, it's probably only first base).

I don't care if Joe hits a ton of home runs. His real value is in spraying the ball all over the place and hitting the gaps fairly routinely. He's doing that again which gives me hope for his future level of play.

edit: I thought I better check the splits on this and Joe was killing worms in June. Meh. That's disappointing.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast