Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Cole DeVries vs Nick Blackburn

Cole DeVries vs Nick Blackburn

No question to me that Cole goes down after the game......but

4 starts 21 IP 19h .232BAA 3.43ERA 16K 7bb 1.24WHIP.
    Regardless of whether you think he has major league stuff...he's been fine.

Nick Blackburn is one of the 'good ol boys' with no recourse
    since coming off the DL (again) in June
    5 starts 26IP 36h .321BAA 6.92ERA 10k 8bb 1.69WHIP

How can they make the arguement to keep Nick over Cole??? other than money
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 06-30-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    DFA DFA DFA that's for you Blackie..

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you either send Blackburn down to Rochester (if able) or put him in the bullpen. I don't see what is to be gained by DFAing him. You're still stuck with the salary (unless someone takes him on waivers, which is unlikely), and it's not as if there are hot pitchers in Rochester waiting for their chance.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,299 Times in 525 Posts
    If he doesn't have an option remaining you'd have to DFA him. Not that it matters, no one would claim him anyway.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

he does have 2 option years remaining....so you dont have to DFA him. Its just that is not how MN runs its organization.

Liked 726 Times in 386 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like to see DeVries replace Blackburn in the rotation, and if possible let Blackburn work on his issues in AAA. It seems at least possible that Blackburn could make a comeback.

Liked 726 Times in 386 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just read on the Twins official website that DeVries has been sent back to Rochester. I don't understand how he did not earn a rotation spot tonight.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keeping Blackburn in MN guarantees you that the worst pitcher in the MLB will be on your roster. Congratulations Twins!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They sent De Vries back down because at best he would only get one more start in before the All-Star break. At this point, it isn't gonna kill the team to give Blackburn one more start to see if he can recover any kind of value. By the time we come back from the All-Star break, Pavano, Walters, and Capps will be eligible to come off the DL and it's not out of the realm of possibility that we'll have made some kind of trade. We may be able to kick Blackie out of the rotation and still keep De Vries down in AAA to develop further.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    They sent De Vries back down because at best he would only get one more start in before the All-Star break. At this point, it isn't gonna kill the team to give Blackburn one more start to see if he can recover any kind of value. By the time we come back from the All-Star break, Pavano, Walters, and Capps will be eligible to come off the DL and it's not out of the realm of possibility that we'll have made some kind of trade. We may be able to kick Blackie out of the rotation and still keep De Vries down in AAA to develop further.
    Trade for what? Why would the Twins trade for starting pitcher this year? Makes no sense at all unless it is a good looking prospect and they are trading Span for him. I guess if it takes another terrible start by Blackburn to finally convince the Twins he is not a very good pitcher whatever, doesn't really matter in the scheme of things. The fact it took this long is unacceptable.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cole De Vries will be back up. They'd rather see him get a few more starts in AAA, then bring him up after the All Star game and after whatever trades happen. The Twins are so thin on pitching, a guy that can simply give them a "respectable" start (six innings, five runs) is almost a sure thing to get in the rotation. De Vries appears to be better than that. He has actually delivered a few quality starts.

Nick Blackburn does belong down in AAA to work on his mechanics. As Parker Hagman has observed, his pitches today lack the movement that used to make him an effective ground-ball pitcher. At the same time, maybe he'll rediscover his stuff with one more start. Probably not, but you never know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Cole De Vries will be back up. They'd rather see him get a few more starts in AAA, then bring him up after the All Star game and after whatever trades happen. The Twins are so thin on pitching, a guy that can simply give them a "respectable" start (six innings, five runs) is almost a sure thing to get in the rotation. De Vries appears to be better than that. He has actually delivered a few quality starts.

Nick Blackburn does belong down in AAA to work on his mechanics. As Parker Hagman has observed, his pitches today lack the movement that used to make him an effective ground-ball pitcher. At the same time, maybe he'll rediscover his stuff with one more start. Probably not, but you never know.
    LOL, 5 runs in 6 IP is a 7.5 ERA, which doesn't qualify as respectable. There once was a time when the Twins pitching staff was consistently one of the better staffs in the league, how far we've fallen...

see what happens with Blackburn on TUE.....bombed again & I can see the move to send him out & bring Cole up for the weekend.
    Nick needed to stay with em as they didnt have a starter for TUE w/o him.

Cole just got a single day callup. They can call him up again and make a roster decision, but like someone said, why have him sit here and collect a major league salary for five days when you can have another bench player for the week. Be intersting to see how everything does shake out.

Blog Entries
    I would argue to leave him on the Twins and let him get comfortable and start working on getting MLB hitters out. I really don't care what Blackburn does in his next start. His presence on the team at this point is a joke 59.1 IP 7.74 ERA. Hitter have a slash stat of .328/.375/.576 against him. Its not like he's coming off a major surgery where he will get better, this is it.