Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Twins trade for Greinke?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Could Twins trade for Greinke?

Looks like the Brewers will not be signing Greinke long term. I am of the opinion that Greinke would not do well in a big market. Instead of minor league prospects, could the Twins offer up Span and Parmalee in a package for Greinke? Span is very affordable and Milwaukee needs to replace Prince. Obviously, we can only do this if we can sign Greinke to a long term deal. Are teams still allowed to negotiate an extension before a trade?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,502 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would you give up Span and Parmelee when you're going to have a shot at Greinke in the open market four months from now?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Why would you give up Span and Parmelee when you're going to have a shot at Greinke in the open market four months from now?
    Exactly. Why give up something (that isnt even close enough) for someone you can get for free (not free in Dec) in offseason. Even if you trade for him, he's goin into FA & see his value....then you lose Span/Parm for nothin.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    What a horrible idea. The odds that he would resign with the Twins would be slim to none.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    What a horrible idea. The odds that he would resign with the Twins would be slim to none.
    The Twins wouldn't make any trade for Grienke unless an extension could be worked out prior to the trade (ie Johan Santana).

Making a trade for him mid-season makes sense as it would give the Twins an opportunity to sign him without it becoming a bidding war in free agency. If they could do that for the cost of Parmalee and Span, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Out of curiosity, why the statement that Greinke would not do well in a big market? And even if that might be the case, does that necessarily mean he won't go to a big market? The lure of big money could overcome any uncertainties he might have.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    The Twins wouldn't make any trade for Grienke unless an extension could be worked out prior to the trade (ie Johan Santana).

Making a trade for him mid-season makes sense as it would give the Twins an opportunity to sign him without it becoming a bidding war in free agency. If they could do that for the cost of Parmalee and Span, I would do it in a heartbeat.
    I wouldn't. By himself, Span should bring back a MLB ready starter, not just the right to pay one a bunch of money that you'd be able to offer a bunch of money anyway.

And there's no reason to give away Parmelee. None.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Out of curiosity, why the statement that Greinke would not do well in a big market? And even if that might be the case, does that necessarily mean he won't go to a big market? The lure of big money could overcome any uncertainties he might have.
    He has openly stated that he will not be going to New York or Los Angeles because of his social anxiety disorder. I'm guessing that'd put the Red Sox and both Chicago teams out as well. The market will get small in a hurry for Greinke, but he'll still get Matt Cain type of money.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    I've aeen comments repeated in different places that think Greinke wouldn't do well in say, NY.

Obviously, we'd need to sign before a trade.

Finally, the Brewers would get two major league ready players (at least one) at an affordable price at positions of need.

A trade with an extension, would be the easiest way to get a top line starter. the pressure on the Brewers will mount, they don't want to get stuck the way the Twins did with Johan. The Brewers would know what they're getting instead of finding out if they get the Frank Viola return or a Johan Santana return. we cannot get better without better starters and the starters are not in the minors.

I don't like our chances on the open market as I think St. Louis would be a great fit also.

Lots of people hate this I see, but Span isn't going to get us a good starter under team control for a while, (Zimmerman) and Joe Saunders or Edwin Jackson dont do it for me.

I think it also shows the fans we are serious about getting better.

Anyways, if you disagree, who and how are we going to get for starters next year?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would Greinke sign now with the Twins when he can test the market in a few months?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It can be done, trade Blackburn for him.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Twins had better only be looking to trade for potential or clearly successful starters who have decent contracts and with at least 2 years remaining. Otherwise wait for free agency.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I bet if you gave him 25M per year, you could sign him right now,

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    So who's starting next year, because we don't have the trade chips to get someone under team control.

Diamond
    Baker (iffy off surgery?)
    Gibson
    FA?
    FA?

Walters
    De Vries

I don't think we should give up on 2013 also

Would have to have an extension at a reasonable number.

Don't think it's really an option, though - I can't see why Greinke would pass up on seeing what's out there as a FA. And I think he could find a lot of places where things would be "small enough" for him to be happy.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In general, I think any thoughts that the Twins are going to pony up the money and years to sign Greinke or Hamels is a little crazy. Greinke could command something like 5yrs/$90M. The Twins aren't going to do that. I don't think the Twins should do that.

The Twins view of starting pitching for years has been that it has to be good enough to keep a team in the game, not dominant. I can't imagine them breaking the bank to go against that philosophy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Players rarely give big discounts when they are 3 months away from FA. Especially when the team that they are going to has one of the worst records in the majors. So it is foolish to even talk about this.

I'm all about trying to sign him in the offseason though even I really don't it to happen.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    In general, I think any thoughts that the Twins are going to pony up the money and years to sign Greinke or Hamels is a little crazy. Greinke could command something like 5yrs/$90M. The Twins aren't going to do that. I don't think the Twins should do that.

The Twins view of starting pitching for years has been that it has to be good enough to keep a team in the game, not dominant. I can't imagine them breaking the bank to go against that philosophy.
    5/90 would be a decent get for a guy like Grienke IMO.
    Most likely he will be looking at a Cain type deal around 6 years/120-130 mil.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries

I think the Twins would do well for themselves if they could get Greinke for $17m a year for five years.

But I think Greinke will go for more than that.

But I agree with your general point. Starting pitching is incredibly volatile and the Twins have avoided sinking themselves for the past decade by not dedicating too much money to any single starter. I don't think that will change.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries

And this has done them how well in the past? That's right, they haven't won a playoff series for a decade and haven't won anything else in over 2 now. This line of thinking is wrong, and the Twins have done their best to make everyone in MN think they are right. I seriously despise this way of thinking because it doesn't win. When is the last time a team won with mediocre pitchers signed cheap? It doesn't happen anymore, the game has changed. The Twins have to wake up at some point and realize putting even 20 mil. into 1 pitcher that is a top 20 guy will payoff more than signing 2 for 10 mil that "keep you in games."

What does signing a guy like Hamels, and Greike do for the Twins? Instead of "keeping them in a game" they have the ability to completely dominate a game and win it by themselves. Plus, these guys are in their prime still and unless get significantly injured will provide this throughout their contract. Think it was an accident the Twins made the playoffs 4 of the 6 years Santana was with the team and only 2 since he left? Granted, Santana didn't do it by himself, but he was a huge part of it while winning his Cy-Young awards (Colon's doesn't count). A front-line starter only impacts a game once every 5 games, while getting 2 for the same money impacts 2 games; what a deal (the argument of Twins thinking). Problem is you have a better chance to win that 1 game than you do either of the other 2. Gamblers fallacy, just because you gamble more times doesn't mean you have a better chance the next time.

The Twins have a pretty solid line-up. There are positions that could be upgraded, true. Is spending 5 million on another Jamey Carrol really going to help this team? The glaring needs are up the middle in the INF right now. Dozier may or may not be able to handle it (I think he will be an average player given this season to work through). However, starting pitching is much more of a need. Do the Twins need to draft and bring up a player in order to spend a lot of money on them? I don't see how Mauer's contract would have been that much different had he been on the FA market (few million maybe, but we're talking <10%). My point is, if you want talent sometimes you have to pay for it.... especially if you don't know how to draft it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast