Thread: Article: Twins Ink Doumit to Two-Year Extension

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Ink Doumit to Two-Year Extension

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like it' he's cheap and only for 2 yrs. It's fair for his production and IF he can stay healthy this will be one of the Twins best moves in a while. Plus it might actually increase his trade value say next yrs trade deadline if the Twins fall out of it again. Teams will be very interested in a good switch hitting multi position player for a very fair price with another yr left on his deal or we keep him and still make out...WIN WIN for us againif he's healthy.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Outside of Marquis (ugh) and Capps (more meh than anything), I like everything JR has done since the return.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It just struck me, but Doumit looks a lot like Kubel.

Member Single-A
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doumit has no iris. It's all pupil. he clearly is a demon of some sort. We could use some dark forces on this team. All hail RD, the spawn of satan.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    It just struck me, but Doumit looks a lot like Kubel.
    That JUST struck you?????

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    That JUST struck you?????
    I'm slow. What can I say? For a second they fooled me into thinking they had the same number too, but Kubes was #16.

Quote Originally Posted by crapforks View Post
    Doumit has no iris. It's all pupil. he clearly is a demon of some sort. We could use some dark forces on this team. All hail RD, the spawn of satan.
    Hawk doesn't call us the "bad guys" for nothing...
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 06-29-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Every position player on the 25-man roster is now under team control for 2013. I take this as a signal that the FO is going to make an effort not to field a dreadful team next season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Richter View Post
    Every position player on the 25-man roster is now under team control for 2013. I take this as a signal that the FO is going to make an effort not to field a dreadful team next season.
    Well now that's interesting. Hadn't really thought of it until you pointed it out. It very well might mean what you say it might mean...but regardless if it means anything or not, it's interesting (to me).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Doumit is the perfect compliment to Joe Mauer. Add in the fact that he is a switch hitter and I love this signing. Now lets find some pitching.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Kubel is a better hitter, but Doumit's 'ability' to catch makes this a good deal to use him as a DH mostly. Though, this does mean that Butera is also a lock on the 25 man for the next two years, but if he continues to play like he has this year, I can stomach it while still disagreeing with the 3 catcher model.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doumit is a good addition if they see him as a role player, third catcher and pinch hitter. They also should have offered this deal knowing they are likely seeing his peak performance as a Twin.

If they see him as an every day player or DH, he will block any future solution. His spot on the team makes it very difficult to give Parmelee any playing time. Maybe they have assessed that Parmelee has little value for the future.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    His spot on the team makes it very difficult to give Parmelee any playing time. Maybe they have assessed that Parmelee has little value for the future.
    I don't understand why Parmelee is not at AAA getting at bats.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I don't understand why Parmelee is not at AAA getting at bats.
    Riiiiiiiight.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb!

Why the hell are they giving multi year deals to injury-prone backup catchers? He's played well this season but that doesn't change he's a 31 year old defensively challenged injurty prone backup C/DH that the Twins felt they needed to lock.

They could have moved him at the deadline or hell even keep him and figure out something in the off season, but there's not point to this extention. This is a move that stupid teams do.
    Last edited by DPJ; 06-30-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post

Why the hell are they giving multi year deals to injury-prone backup catchers? He's played well this season but that doesn't change he's a 31 year old defensively challenged injurty prone backup C/DH that the Twins felt they needed to lock.

They could have moved him at the deadline or hell even keep him and figure out something in the off season, but there's not point to this extention. This is a move that stupid teams do.
    I could understand this statement if the deal was 3 years/18 million or something like that, but its pretty hard to find anything to hate about a 2/7 deal.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Outside of Marquis (ugh) and Capps (more meh than anything), I like everything JR has done since the return.
    I wouldn't let that opinion out on this site, you might not make it through the day...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sure, I mean really: All of these at-bats should be going to Butera. What were the Twins thinking in locking up a flexible backup catcher that can hit for little money. Seriously!!!

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Sure, I mean really: All of these at-bats should be going to Butera. What were the Twins thinking in locking up a flexible backup catcher that can hit for little money. Seriously!!!
    Cause Son of Sal getting at-bats is what's gonna get this team back to being good again. Doumit isn't gonna make or break the future of this team so I don't understand why you sign a defensivly challenged catch/DH.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries

You'd rather see Butera out there? This is exactly what the Twins should be doing. Filling the roster with complementary players around Mauer & Co while still letting the young guys play. The Twins have a lot of free money this offseason to build a respectable pitching staff. Their bullpen looks good. The offense is decent. All they really need is starting pitching (admittedly the hardest thing to find).

This was a great move by JR. Sign Doumit now and keep him through 2014 or trade him at the deadline. We complained that Smith sat on his hands last deadline. JR is doing the opposite and I welcome the change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast