Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twins more willing to trade Span

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,595 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    If we trade Span and move Revere, who do we have ready to go into RF for 2013? Parmelee? Benson? We can't count on Arcia to be ready.

Free agency? Take a look at the available free agent outfielders. Who will sign for the money they are paying Span?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/co...s/?page_id=177

Hardly any. We can probably get Delmon back.

Let's keep the below market value we have in Span and overpay a pitcher in the winter.
    With the glut of outfielders the Twins have in the wings, it won't kill the team to sign a mediocre stopgap or just plug their noses with a Mastrioanni type and hope that one of the kids is ready by next July.

The Twins need starters far more than they need outfielders.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 389 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    With the glut of outfielders the Twins have in the wings, it won't kill the team to sign a mediocre stopgap and hope that one of the kids is ready by next July.

The Twins need starters far more than they need outfielders.
    Yeah, also it should be pointed out that finding a capable RF on the FA/trade market is prob the easiest position to find.

But any of Benson, Parmelee, Doumit, Hicks, Arcia or even Plouffe (if Valencia starts playing well again) could man RF in 2013. The FA market has a few guys you could prob bring in on a cheap enough deal like Tori Hunter, Cody Ross, Andruw Jones or Scott Hariston.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am in as long as the Twins stay in house or gamble on minor league free agent. Let's go cheap in RF with Parmelee or other. Trade Span and get pitching prospects. Take the Span money saved in RF and overpay a pitcher.

I am not in if it means they sign a decline phase RF to a contract similar to Carroll and Doumit.

Spans biggest negative for me is his lack of SB speed....which he really never had if you look back.
    I am extremely happy with his 25 XBH this yr (2nd on club to Josh W)....10th in Lg in doubles w/20. On pace for over 50 & that is excellent.
    His CF defensive metrics are also outstanding.....with a modest 350 INN to qualify, he's 2nd in majors & first in AL in UZR w/5.4, range w/4.2 & runs saved w/10 (all 2nd to Michael Bourne).....for those that follow defense.
    Add in his contract, & he should yield a VERY good deal soon.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    FWIW - a draft pick is still possible if you offer arb and are willing to pay 10-12M if the player accepts.
    It's not "arbitration" anymore. It's a qualifying offer. However, for a rental, there are no draft picks, unless the guy accepts a qualifying offer, and plays a full season for the team that traded for him at the offer amount. A player must be on a team's roster (or in the organization) from Opening Day in order to qualify for any compensation.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Spans biggest negative for me is his lack of SB speed....which he really never had if you look back.
    It's not really speed. Span has speed, and he's a good baserunner. He's just not a good base stealer for some reason. There is a big difference between the two. Cristian Guzman early in his career was the best baserunner I've ever watched live, but he was a horrible base stealer.

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    It's not really speed. Span has speed, and he's a good baserunner. He's just not a good base stealer for some reason. There is a big difference between the two. Cristian Guzman early in his career was the best baserunner I've ever watched live, but he was a horrible base stealer.
    I agree... Base stealing is a combination of guts, instinct, confidence, organizational philosophy and the battery combination they are facing. Speed helps greatly but doesn't mean you are a base stealer. Gardy may not like all the advanced metric stats but I'm willing to bet that he has a stop watch and the willingness to express disapointment over base runners getting thrown out.

In my opinion, Span could become a base stealer over time if he was traded to a more aggressive organization such as the Brewers or Angels.

one thing that crimps a trade with the nationals was that they dealt a bunch of prospects to get gio gonzalez, including peacock and cole, who'd likely be at the front of any group of prospects we'd be asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    one thing that crimps a trade with the nationals was that they dealt a bunch of prospects to get gio gonzalez, including peacock and cole, who'd likely be at the front of any group of prospects we'd be asking for.
    And the guys of interest in the organization at this point wouldn't be available, like Rendon, or would be more highly thought of by Washington than their relative value, like Alex Meyer and Matt Purke. I could see some guys like Marrero or their group of lefties (Solis, Ray, and Rosenbaum) being trade bait for Span, but I'm not sure that's the return many here would be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Better stated than I did. He does have speed/decent baserunner but a very below average basestealer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123