Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins more willing to trade Span

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts

Twins more willing to trade Span

From http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...han-willingham

Twins want a young starter in return. Heyman mentions Nationals, Marlins and possibly the Yankees as potential partners. He says if the Twins don't get the offer they want, they'd hang onto Span.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would sure hope so. Span should require a pretty nice prospect in return because the Twins have all the leverage in this scenario.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I would sure hope so. Span should require a pretty nice prospect in return because the Twins have all the leverage in this scenario.
    They need to get a major league pitcher or a major league ready pitcher (solid #2) in return. Can't be giving up Span for a guy 3 years away from the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    They need to get a major league pitcher or a major league ready pitcher (solid #2) in return. Can't be giving up Span for a guy 3 years away from the majors.
    Unless that guy is Dylan Bundy.....

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    Unless that guy is Dylan Bundy.....
    Except it won't be Bundy or even close to a Bundy type guy..

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    The Giants gave up Wheeler a possible top of the rotation guy for 2 months of Betran last summer. Span for 2 months plus 2 years at a decent rate should be worth a top B+, A- prospect (I wouldn't take less). He may not have the impact bat that Beltran does but you get him for cheap and he should hold his value down the road if you need to move him. NO RELIEF pitchers!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    The Giants gave up Wheeler a possible top of the rotation guy for 2 months of Betran last summer. Span for 2 months plus 2 years at a decent rate should be worth a top B+, A- prospect (I wouldn't take less). He may not have the impact bat that Beltran does but you get him for cheap and he should hold his value down the road if you need to move him. NO RELIEF pitchers!
    I would be very surprised if the return was a top 50 prospect. Perhaps a top 100 guy, but more likely a guy in that 100-200 range would be the headliner for Span. Span and Beltran are two very different classes of player on the offensive end, and that's where the primary prospect value was driven. The Giants also got two draft picks out of the deal as well, which has some value. Wheeler was not a top 50 prospect coming into 2011, so even Beltran didn't warrant a top 50 guy.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    I would be very surprised if the return was a top 50 prospect. Perhaps a top 100 guy, but more likely a guy in that 100-200 range would be the headliner for Span. Span and Beltran are two very different classes of player on the offensive end, and that's where the primary prospect value was driven. The Giants also got two draft picks out of the deal as well, which has some value. Wheeler was not a top 50 prospect coming into 2011, so even Beltran didn't warrant a top 50 guy.
    Span is certainly worth more than a top 100 guy and worlds more than a 100-200 guy.

Yes Span isn't the hitter Beltran is, but he is an affordable CF leadoff guy who you can pencil into the spot for the next 3+ years.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    From http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...han-willingham

Twins want a young starter in return. Heyman mentions Nationals, Marlins and possibly the Yankees as potential partners. He says if the Twins don't get the offer they want, they'd hang onto Span.
    You know how I can tell Heyman knows baseball? The way he holds the bat in his photo on the blog.

In a perfect world you would trade Span for a Gio Gonzalez type pitcher. If that is actually available on the market at this point.

I don't know why all the rush for a league ready pitcher. Wouldn't it be smarter to get a very nice prospect that is 2 or 3 years out instead of a league ready 3 spot guy that will waste his first 2 or 3 years throwing on a noncontending team? There is more risk that way but I believe our potential depth at both leadoff and OF justify it. We aren't EVER getting past the yankees in the first round if we don't figure out some way to get some true top of the rotation talent.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    Span is a dime a dozen. He's a good, not great CF that doesn't get on base, hits for no power, and no longer steals bases.

If I was an opposing GM I would not be giving up anything considered valuable for him.

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Span is a dime a dozen. He's a good, not great CF that doesn't get on base, hits for no power, and no longer steals bases.

If I was an opposing GM I would not be giving up anything considered valuable for him.
    He's a very good defensive CF who is one of the better lead off men in baseball, his career OBP is .358 so he gets on base plenty and adds some decent pop as well (4 away from hitting his career best in 2B in a season). 104 Career OPS+ with playing a premium position and being signed to a team friendly contract gives him plenty of value. As far as the SB comment goes, he is on pace to swipe 16-18 and I wonder with a more aggressive manager if he couldn't give you SB a year agian.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMeat View Post
    I don't know why all the rush for a league ready pitcher. Wouldn't it be smarter to get a very nice prospect that is 2 or 3 years out instead of a league ready 3 spot guy that will waste his first 2 or 3 years throwing on a noncontending team? There is more risk that way but I believe our potential depth at both leadoff and OF justify it. We aren't EVER getting past the yankees in the first round if we don't figure out some way to get some true top of the rotation talent.
    Yeah its a good argument, honestly you prob just take the best arm available, but I would feel alot better if said pitcher was less than 1 year away from the majors as every top pitching prospect has had some bad luck in the Twins system the past 4-5 years. Guerra, Gibson, Whimmers, Hunt,etc

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

Absolutely! but why would the Skanks want Span??? would they use Grand strictly as DH?? and I guess they would drop him in the order and take adv of his power and more RBI opps then Span could bat leadoff but what do they have to offer?? Seems like they make out better in these trades then not.. I know gardner is hurt so that may be a concern if he's coming back.
    Last edited by Dilligaf69; 06-29-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post

??? explain! good thing your not.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No GM may want to give up something of value for Span, but to get him, they are going to have to. He has his flaws, no doubt, but contrary to what some around here think, he's going to be expensive, as he will be in demband. I'd hope they get a AA front line pitcher personally, and possibly another higher ceiling guy in the low minors.

This is one area where I do trust Terry Ryan, and the idea of him being the guy pulling trigger on potential Span, Willingham, and Liriano trades makes me happy.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sellers market... Nearly everyone is in contention.... It'll be a good year to be out of contention.

Sellers: CF type or lead off potential.

Houston... Altuve... Not going anywhere. Schaefer... Span is clearly better at this point.

Cubs... DeJesus Not a leadoff guy... Nor a CF... Even though he is holding down both.

Rockies... Fowler... Span has been more consistent over his career. Fowler has always been a big potential guy but Contending teams want Production now... Not the hope of production. Fowler has been coming around but Span is the better of the two... right? Now if the Rockies decide to move Cargo... Look out but he still not a leadoff guy.

Padres... Maybin or Denorfia or Venable. None are in Spans neighborhood.

Oakland... Crisp... Leadoff CF... Do you like Crisp over Span?

Seattle... Ichiro... Could be a leadoff but he's old and well compensated. Stats on the decline. Might be locked into Seattle forever.

Everyone else is around buyer territory. Looks like a great supply and demand market.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Sellers market... Nearly everyone is in contention.... It'll be a good year to be out of contention.

Sellers: CF type or lead off potential.

Houston... Altuve... Not going anywhere. Schaefer... Span is clearly better at this point.

Cubs... DeJesus Not a leadoff guy... Nor a CF... Even though he is holding down both.

Rockies... Fowler... Span has been more consistent over his career. Fowler has always been a big potential guy but Contending teams want Production now... Not the hope of production. Fowler has been coming around but Span is the better of the two... right? Now if the Rockies decide to move Cargo... Look out but he still not a leadoff guy.

Padres... Maybin or Denorfia or Venable. None are in Spans neighborhood.

Oakland... Crisp... Leadoff CF... Do you like Crisp over Span?

Seattle... Ichiro... Could be a leadoff but he's old and well compensated. Stats on the decline. Might be locked into Seattle forever.

Everyone else is around buyer territory. Looks like a great supply and demand market.
    Excellent analysis, Brian. A bidding war between contending teams would produce the best value,

Doing a quick search the one pitching prospect for the Marlins worth anything is Jose Hernandez and no way they give him up for Denard Span.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast