Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crasnick: Twins close to multi-year contract with Doumit

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For $3.5m/year, I'll take it. Best Twins news since Monday.

As a stopgap when Mauer plays first and you need someone other than Butera behind-the-plate, yes. Assuming Morneau stays around for another year, then it looks like the beginning of this season all over again...with Parmelee in the mix you have four rotating in four spaces. A couple of years is fine. He would not be a fulltime catcher/1B/RF anywhere. And, folks, Hermann still has to make the 40-man and then still has four seasons before needing to be in the bigs fulltime. Who knows, maybe next year he will be the bench/third catcher guy.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    On the subject of backup catchers, has anyone noticed that The Greatest Defensive Catcher of All-Time will be super-2 eligible this offseason?

I know I'm looking forward to the Twins paying a guy that can't OPS .500 a million dollars next season.
    LOL (word limit)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    For $3.5m/year, I'll take it. Best Twins news since Monday.
    Very good signing, immediately adds depth at an important position and a solid bat for the next two years. The Twins couldn't do any better on the upcoming FA market IMO.
    Now hopefully he can just stay healthy (knocks on wood)

On the subject of backup catchers, has anyone noticed that The Greatest Defensive Catcher of All-Time will be super-2 eligible this offseason?

I know I'm looking forward to the Twins paying a guy that can't OPS .500 a million dollars next season.
    He's next to get a multi yr deal to buy out his arbitration.....or woulda been if Bill Smith was still here.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good deal. Now if they find a way to get rid of Butera...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

That certainly one-ups the news coming from the original post. Any ideas to what Pavano does without his partner in crime?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great deal, $3.5 million barely buys you any competent player who could be a free agent. It gives us lots of flexibility and doesn't harm our ability to get a competent SP or two.

Maybe TR has something in the works to ship Morneau and this will help facilitate trading him and moving Maur to 1st base.

Signing Doumit to a 2 year deal is just like making a trade!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    For that price I like it. He's had problems staying healthy, but 3.5 million hardly breaks the bank if he goes down with injury.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it's really 2/$7M, I absolutely LOVE this deal. Doumit is the perfect pairing with Mauer, except that he doesn't hit lefties. Like Mauer, he hits well, he can play catcher, but not so much or he ends up hurt or broken down.

I'll be honest - I never thought they would agree to a contract with these numbers. I assumed it would be closer to 3/15.

But it's bad news for Parmelee. Next year he's essentially without a position unless the Twins somehow move Morneau at the deadline.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries

Since he's been a backup catcher, and since it's just Super-2 level, I can see him re-signing for $700K or so, not too much over what he makes now. Butera may not be back, but it won't be over money. And it won't be a big financial mistake if the Twins do bring him back.

I'll go a step further. I continue to think the Butera grumbling is more bad habit than anything else. We do it because we're accustomed to doing it. He isn't playing much. He has like 54 AB this year. And most of those games are when he's catching Liriano, and I don't think anyone is too critical of those results.

Love this. 2 years, $7m for a solid hitter with some pop and serviceable defense at a few positions. Obviously not a cornerstone-type, but solid.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A reasonable deal on its surface, but this team doesn't look to be getting any younger in the coming years. The core of their 2014 lineup as it currently stands will include a 30-year old Denard Span, a 31-year old Joe Mauer, and a 35-year old Josh Willingham and Ryan Doumit. I'd certainly take that on a team built to win in the next 2-3 years, but unless TR can beg, borrow, or steal some starting pitching it's just delaying a rebuild that will need to happen sooner or later.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Savvy move. Nothing not to like. Doumit is still a good trade trip if Parmlee or Herrmann force the issue.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    If it's really 2/$7M, I absolutely LOVE this deal. Doumit is the perfect pairing with Mauer, except that he doesn't hit lefties. Like Mauer, he hits well, he can play catcher, but not so much or he ends up hurt or broken down.

I'll be honest - I never thought they would agree to a contract with these numbers. I assumed it would be closer to 3/15.

But it's bad news for Parmelee. Next year he's essentially without a position unless the Twins somehow move Morneau at the deadline.
    BTW I just looked it up.

2011 - combined production from the catcher position for the Twins - 509 OPS
    2012 (so far) - combined production from the catcher position for the Twins - 806 OPS.

I really love this deal.

If Parmelee hits enough to be an everyday RF/1B/DH the Twins will find a way to get him into the lineup and it is one of those nice problems to have.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Since he's been a backup catcher, and since it's just Super-2 level, I can see him re-signing for $700K or so, not too much over what he makes now. Butera may not be back, but it won't be over money. And it won't be a big financial mistake if the Twins do bring him back.
    It won't be a big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.

He needs to be non-tendered, and offered a minor league contract. If he declines, he's welcome to find another organization willing to value his lineage over his production.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It won't be a big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.

He needs to be non-tendered, and offered a minor league contract. If he declines, he's welcome to find another organization willing to value his lineage over his production.
    Agreed.

*random thought to fill the character limit, I look like the lead singer of Maroon 5... like scary identical

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12