Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crasnick: Twins close to multi-year contract with Doumit

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Crasnick: Twins close to multi-year contract with Doumit

ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Twins and Ryan Doumit are close to a multi-year deal. 1500ESPN.com's Darren Wolfson says that the deal will be for two additional seasons.

UPDATE: Wolfson says it's a two year, $7 million deal.

What do you think of this decision?
    Last edited by Parker Hageman; 06-29-2012 at 04:16 PM.

What would he be worth on the trade market?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Ryan probably feels that Doumit will give the Team flexibly on how they use Mauer.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,492 Times in 782 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely. This is the way it should be done. Either get him locked up now or ship him off somewhere at the deadline. Well played, JR.

you cant trade everyone.....Doumit fits an absolute need. Of course, we still need to keep a backup C to keep Gardys nerves settled.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From the moment he signed, I thought he was a great stop-gap combo player with Mauer, in that he had a good switch-hitting bat and could play 1B or RF also. I was really hoping he'd be able to offer more in terms of defensive versatility, but for $3m he's been a bargain.

It will be interesting to see how long of an extention he signs, given that I thought Chris Herrmann, part-time C/part-time OF, would be a perfect compliment to the $23m/year man.

I'll hold off forming an opinion til we know the figures.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    Doumit's a decent hitter, but I've not been impressed with his catching ability.

And he's not that great of a hitter that I'd like him as a regular DH, either.

As a backup he's fine. I'd have to see the details before getting worked up over this.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This would be a good move for the Twins. I like having a back-up catcher that can actually hit.

If a weak hitting catcher that cant stay healthy or behind the plate for that matter is worth 23 mil per year what is Doumit worth? I'd say a 4 year deal at 50 mil per is about right.

I hope this is a precursor to a Mauer salary dump trade or is his deal so bad you couldn't give him away?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 356 Times in 178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    If a weak hitting catcher that cant stay healthy or behind the plate for that matter is worth 23 mil per year what is Doumit worth? I'd say a 4 year deal at 50 mil per is about right.

I hope this is a precursor to a Mauer salary dump trade or is his deal so bad you couldn't give him away?
    Dankind? Is that you?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mauer may not be "worth" $23 M per but who really is? It was what the market would have dictated had he been allowed to test the FA waters. And with 2009 being the exception, he is right around his career slash numbers. He has been fairly healthy this season and productive. Signing Doumit is a good idea in my view, he is putting up almost exactly his career splits and he's not so horrible that 1 or 2 days behind the plate hurt the team. Now if this was about Butera.....

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Doumit and because of their flexibility it still shouldn't affect Chris Herrmann. Mauer can catch, DH and play 1B. Herrmann can catch and play LF and RF well. Doumit can catch and DH.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I like Doumit and because of their flexibility it still shouldn't affect Chris Herrmann. Mauer can catch, DH and play 1B. Herrmann can catch and play LF and RF well. Doumit can catch and DH.
    Who? On the ESPN roster I see no Chris Herrmann... Just kidding. I don't think you should be worried about Chris Herrmann demanding playing time in Minnesota.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 356 Times in 178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Who? On the ESPN roster I see no Chris Herrmann... Just kidding. I don't think you should be worried about Chris Herrmann demanding playing time in Minnesota.
    Yeah, if he makes it up in 2013 its a good problem to have.

Plus if Span is traded suddenly the RF position opens again which Doumit could help fill. Ideally you have a guy like Arcia/Hicks or Benson step up next season....but in the case of Benson and Hicks things don't look very positive for them to be impact players in 2013, Arcia is the wild card I imagine, and if that is the case you simply play Doumit as DH. (Assuming Herrmann is the back up catcher-unlikely)

If its about for the same amount of money per year and for 2 years that would be ok. I like him fine as off the bench and as a spot fill-in hitter. He is certainly worth as much as Nishioka. Haha!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I agree that Herrmann isn't forcing himself onto the roster... and even if he was playing better this year, I just showed that it can still work... As pointed out above, there would still need to be a third catcher, and these three all provide some flexibility.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well with three catchers on the roster in 2013 or 2014, there has to be NO WAY Butera makes the roster...right?!

Looks like we signed him => 2 years and $7M - not bad.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Very reasonable contract... makes it really difficult to find any fault in it.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,218 Times in 487 Posts
    On the subject of backup catchers, has anyone noticed that The Greatest Defensive Catcher of All-Time will be super-2 eligible this offseason?

I know I'm looking forward to the Twins paying a guy that can't OPS .500 a million dollars next season.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast