Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Dozier Is Not Ready

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Brian Dozier Is Not Ready

He has a horrid .578 OPS and is leading the AL with 11 errors despite not even BEING with the team on opening day. Dozier hasn't spent an entire season at triple A and that's what he should be doing now. A retread like Casilla or someone with no potential like Ray Chang could play just as mediocre for the Twins in the meantime while Dozier develops.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't Agree More

Yes once we're "Officially" out of the race . I'd LOVE LOVE to see Pedro Florimon up here, and Dozier playing in Meaningful games @ AAA Rochester. He needs more AAA time Before its Too Late!

Lots of things to work on, and Defense isn't even one of them exactly.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier has also accumulated -.8 WAR.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier is 25. He shouldn't need to develop in the minors anymore. Leave him in there for the rest of the year, let him try to figure things out, and if he can't then go a different direction in 2013. The alternative at this point is going back to Alexi Casilla, who in addition to being almost equally bad has no future with the organization.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    You people are amazing... Before they called Dozier up, everyone was upset, because he wasn't being called up, now everyone is complaining and saying he needs to be sent down... Dozier belongs with the Twins... He's a smart kid with a good mind for the game... This is where he needs to be to learn how to hit major league hitting... He's not going to learn that at Rochester.... And as is common with many rookies, he shows flashes of what his potential is, while other times he struggles.... By the end of the year I think he'll have settled in a will be playing more consistently, but it's a process... All of his growing pains this year will payoff next season...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    I thought this was a rebuilding year. At such a time, you play your young players and let them take their lumps.

Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    You people are amazing... Before they called Dozier up, everyone was upset, because he wasn't being called up, now everyone is complaining and saying he needs to be sent down... Dozier belongs with the Twins... He's a smart kid with a good mind for the game... This is where he needs to be to learn how to hit major league hitting... He's not going to learn that at Rochester.... And as is common with many rookies, he shows flashes of what his potential is, while other times he struggles.... By the end of the year I think he'll have settled in a will be playing more consistently, but it's a process... All of his growing pains this year will payoff next season...
    Couldn't agree more with you gmarais... you can't have your cake and eat it too. Let's do Dozier a favor and let him continue to play ball... what difference is it going to make this season anyway? Let's not treat this guy like Parmelee and screw with his head so much that he doesn't even know where he is anymore, and just watch a young player grow and mature through adversity.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    I agree with this. Although, I wouldn't get your hopes up going forward. I don't see him as much more than a 2 or 3 year solution at SS. I hope I'm wrong...

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not ready to give up on him, and that's not the point of the thread. It says "he's not ready" and he's not.

I don't know whether you keep him up or send him down. I find his age irrelevant. The bottom line is you do what you think is best for the kid.

I find it troubling that he mostly struggled at AAA. It might be that a demotion to master things there is what he needs before he is fed to the sharks here. he doesn't SEEM like he's lost all confidence, but the (often bad) errors are the exact opposite of his reputation, so maybe his lack of hitting is getting to him a bit. I don't think I'm the one to best judge that. Hopefully the Twins have a better feel for how he's handling this than I do.

I'm still optimistic about the kid. I just think he's been pushed too fast. Which seems kind of silly considering they coudl pick up a utility infielder on waivers and have Casilla and Carroll handle the middle infield until he's ready.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Demote

A demotion is in order. You can't have a disaster at the key defensive position. And, he's practically an automatic out. Carrol at SS, Casilla at 2B.

We can look at and rotate thru any number of other guys, but only so many open spots on the 40-man roster...like two. Is it worthwhile to give Holimon and Chang a look, and Florimon as a future reserve? The pain is when you play musical chairs, you also lose guys in the minors and need to sign others to replace them if they leave on their own or are claimed. And you ultimately want to put the effort and playing time into people who will also be given a chance next year, not just filling space this year. That's the upset with Casilla, will he be too expensive for what he brings to the Twins to even be considered for 2013. And Valenci, and Burroughs...and, forgive me, make a decision now on Toshi. Time to cut and eat salary, front office.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    This one is on Gardy. He was a shortstop (being nice here) he is said to be a great coach and if that's the case Dozier should be in the right spot right under Gary's tutelage. He doesn't look ready, do we have better coaches in AAA that can work with him?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm a Dozier supporter and I think he'll pull through it. With that said, I didn't like the promotion in the first place. If a kid is struggling at AAA, it doesn't make much sense to put him in the majors and hope that he sorts it out against major league pitching.

But now that he's here and the Twins are awful, I don't see much point in sending him down. It's not as if his awful play is affecting the outcome of the season.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let him play and let Casilla play and have Carroll as the back up. This team is not going anywhere... They need to give the younger players some time to see whether they are part of the problem or the solution in intermediate/short term.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I would only send him down if the team wanted to bring Florimon up and see what he can do at the major league level. I really don't mind Dozier taking his lumps up here this year as the season is a lost cause anyway.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd keep him up and let him develop here. Yeah, his numbers aren't great, but there have definitely been flashes of good with the bad.

I'd feel differently if he looked overwhelmed and confused like Nishioka usually did last year.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    I'm a Dozier supporter and I think he'll pull through it. With that said, I didn't like the promotion in the first place. If a kid is struggling at AAA, it doesn't make much sense to put him in the majors and hope that he sorts it out against major league pitching.

But now that he's here and the Twins are awful, I don't see much point in sending him down. It's not as if his awful play is affecting the outcome of the season.
    Agreed entirely

well done.

And to Gmarais66 or whoever responded to my first post. I was Not one of them clammoring for Dozier to be in the Big Leagues....I thought he should of Been in Rochester untill mid-season or even Late July anyways.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

He was probably here too early, but let him keep hacking. Despite his struggles he has more extra base hits than ben revere.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Middling prospect.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    The reason to send Dozier down is to help him. If he's struggling here and potentially taking those struggles with him into the field, it's going to wear on his confidence a bit. People are arguing to let him stay up because the team is struggling, I'd argue that's precisely why we shouldn't care if we send him down and play some scrub. Dozier is potentially an important piece of this team going forward - send him down for a month, let him have some success, work on some things in AAA, and come back up after the deadline.

Ben Revere may be a good model for this idea I guess.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast