Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Article: Trade Target Team Profile: Texas Rangers

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,428
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Article: Trade Target Team Profile: Texas Rangers


  2. #2
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,895
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    174
    If the Twins are called upon to make a deal with the Rangers, the guy they need to come home with is Luis Sardinas. He's not Profar, but someday he could be close... and he'd be much cheaper.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Double-A PMKI's Avatar
    Posts
    128
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    If the Twins are called upon to make a deal with the Rangers, the guy they need to come home with is Luis Sardinas. He's not Profar, but someday he could be close... and he'd be much cheaper.
    Is Sardinas expected to develop some power? I noticed he only has 5 extra-base hits.

  4. #4
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,988
    Like
    4,267
    Liked 684 Times in 358 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Why does almost every other team seem to have better pitching prospects than the Twins?

  5. #5
    Neil Ramirez was drafted in 2007 not 2003. But I like that the rangers have a lot of good pitching prospects, they seem like a good trading partner. Span for a few good pitching prospects would be nice.

  6. #6
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,482
    Like
    3,480
    Liked 2,992 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Wouldn't it be nice to have the best team in the majors, AND have these kinds of prospects littered through your farm?

  7. #7
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,542
    Like
    823
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to have the best team in the majors, AND have these kinds of prospects littered through your farm?
    The Rangers club is a good argument for the "creative destruction" model of successfully competing in the business world. It's almost exactly 2 years ago that Texas filed for bankruptcy, $500Mil in arrears in salaries owed. New management built a strong, sound franchise on a leftover base of tradeable or developable assets that wasn't currently jelling in the previous philosophical approach. In turn, they aren't afraid of taking risks in finding new young talent and back-filling with proven talent in areas of need, and now look where they are. How about some creative destruction in the Twin's philosophies and front office staff?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Why does almost every other team seem to have better pitching prospects than the Twins?

    It is pretty simple. You have a clueless GM unwilling to make drastic changes to the scouting and medical departments that have proven time and again they are the worst in baseball.

    Until Terry Ryan steps down, this team has no chance!

  9. #9
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,195
    Like
    358
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Why does almost every other team seem to have better pitching prospects than the Twins?
    because we don't have many good pitching prospects..

  10. #10
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    426
    Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Like
    1
    Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Why does almost every other team seem to have better pitching prospects than the Twins?
    Most of our top pitching prospects have had injury problems.
    Don't listen to the haters its not Terry Ryan's fault.
    I bent my wookie...

  11. #11
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    Most of our top pitching prospects have had injury problems.
    Don't listen to the haters its not Terry Ryan's fault.
    Well, it is and it isn't. It's partially his fault for the Twins having to turn to guys like Blackburn because they have no other options. It's also partially Smith's fault for not stocking the farm with quality pitchers during his three years as GM (though IMO the Gibson pick was still a great one).

    On the other hand, Ryan drafted Matt Garza, who Bill Smith traded away (a move that flabbergasted me at the time due to the imminent departure of Johan). He also drafted Scott Baker, who is injured.

    It's beating a dead horse but if the Twins had Garza, Baker, and Liriano heading the rotation (or swap out Gibson for Baker), they'd probably be contending right now.

    In short, it's a little bit of everyone's fault mixed with a healthy dose of bad luck. People love to rail on the Twins' drafting but it hasn't been that bad. It hasn't been that good, either...

  12. #12
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,895
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    Is Sardinas expected to develop some power? I noticed he only has 5 extra-base hits.
    There's hope. He's only 150 lbs right now. Tools-wise, he's "Ben Revere with a cannon".

  13. #13
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,195
    Like
    358
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Well, it is and it isn't. It's partially his fault for the Twins having to turn to guys like Blackburn because they have no other options. It's also partially Smith's fault for not stocking the farm with quality pitchers during his three years as GM (though IMO the Gibson pick was still a great one).

    On the other hand, Ryan drafted Matt Garza, who Bill Smith traded away (a move that flabbergasted me at the time due to the imminent departure of Johan). He also drafted Scott Baker, who is injured.

    It's beating a dead horse but if the Twins had Garza, Baker, and Liriano heading the rotation (or swap out Gibson for Baker), they'd probably be contending right now.

    In short, it's a little bit of everyone's fault mixed with a healthy dose of bad luck. People love to rail on the Twins' drafting but it hasn't been that bad. It hasn't been that good, either...
    pretty much this, though in Smith's defense... at the time the Twins were considered to have a dearth of pitching talent and not much on the hitting side. Slowey was in that mix too, and was breaking out until that injury. As such many were clamoring that they trade from their excess to pick up hitting, which is exactly what the did... The problem was that Smith is clearly not a talent evaulator or a negotiator.

  14. #14
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    pretty much this, though in Smith's defense... at the time the Twins were considered to have a dearth of pitching talent and not much on the hitting side. Slowey was in that mix too, and was breaking out until that injury. As such many were clamoring that they trade from their excess to pick up hitting, which is exactly what the did... The problem was that Smith is clearly not a talent evaulator or a negotiator.
    I mostly agree except for the "trade from excess" part. When you're in a situation where you basically have to trade Johan Santana, you do not also trade your best young pitcher in Matt Garza.

    That was my problem with the Garza trade. It didn't make any sense to trade him away when you know that Santana is on his way out as well. The Twins had holes all over but Smith should have known that the hardest hole to patch is starting pitching. Finding outfielders is one of the easier tasks for a baseball GM.

  15. #15
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,425
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 155 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    240
    Anyone know more about Neil Ramirez, who Seth listed above? He sure seems like a good fit that wouldn't break the bank.

  16. #16
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,895
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Anyone know more about Neil Ramirez, who Seth listed above? He sure seems like a good fit that wouldn't break the bank.
    I just glanced over the BA scouting report and saw "concerns about his high back elbow". I'm sure Parker can take it from there...

  17. #17
    Senior Member Double-A shs_59's Avatar
    Posts
    199
    Like
    13
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I was a huge proponent, John, as you may re-call for Niel Ramirez Back in Late April/ Early May.

    In my Twins possible Trade Targets post.

    But since then Ramirez has really struggled, I believe he is pitching hurt, he just got demoted to AA. And I'm glad the Twins did stay away from him, and Hopefully (at this point) continue to do so....because he's a mess right now. On the Other hand if the Rangers have soured on him it could be a GREAT time to bring him in on the Cheap, as sort of a filler to a Another Deal

  18. #18
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    925
    Like
    40
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Anyone know more about Neil Ramirez, who Seth listed above? He sure seems like a good fit that wouldn't break the bank.
    His motion and delivery is such that if he is off a bit, he's off a ton, and it's not pretty. Most assume because of this that he'll end up a reliever long-term. Nice arm, but he's not the type of guy in that system of arms that you'd target and expect to develop. The odd thing with the Rangers system is that they've gotten some breathtaking arms like Ramirez and Martin Perez, and both have really not developed into what was once hoped based on their talent level.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Double-A shs_59's Avatar
    Posts
    199
    Like
    13
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Ohh and do add i'm pretty sure at this point SS Jurickson Profar is all but untouchable...

    It'd take Burton or Perk or Duensing plus Willingham just to get 1 of Andrus or Profar + maybe a Grimm type back.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    There's hope. He's only 150 lbs right now. Tools-wise, he's "Ben Revere with a cannon".
    "Hope" in that the Great Plouffe would mentor this young one in the ways of slugging (in the event he gets traded to us).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.