Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst call ever?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Worst call ever?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...ic_id=11493214

I've seen some bad ones, but man oh man, this one is tough to beat for umpire incompetence.

How does Dimuro call an out there without asking to see the ball?

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    This is an outrage. Umps have been horrible this season especially. Is it also just a coincidence that another blown call helps the Yankees. And then the ump throws out a player just because the player calls him on that bull. Amazing.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 232 Posts
    I love seeing plays like this. The more of them there are, the greater the push for replay will be.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I love seeing plays like this. The more of them there are, the greater the push for replay will be.
    ---Amen to that.

Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    Is it really any worse of a call than Napoli tagging out two Yankees not standing on the base and one being ruled safe?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Great, let's go to 4-hour average length games, because 3:15 isn't long enough. Improve the umpiring by breaking the collective arrogance of the umps, so fully on display by this jerk, Dimuro. Isn't that nice-guy Jack Hanahan he throws out there?

One solution is a seperate video ump, with complete overrule authority, no special ump visitation conferences under the stands, a 60 second time limit on any overrule. The other is to speed up the time between pitches, to offeset the replay time.

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    1. This call isn't even in the top 100 of bad calls, in my lifetime. Sadly.

2. I really don't think umpiring is any worse now than it's been. It's just that with virtually every MLB game televised now, usually with mulitple HD cameras catching every play from multiple angles, we usually know in under a minute when a call is missed. We didn't used to get all those views. Most missed calls went largely unnoticed. Umpiring is hard. The game is fast. Calls have always been missed. Why do we expect humans to be perfect in calling plays that happen once, in real time, and are often really, really close?

3. But we don't have to live with most of the bad calls. There is no excuse for MLB not to institute a rational, reasonable, intelligently designed replay system. See item number 2 above...we already HAVE replay. The only people not using replay are the ones who could most benefit from it...MLB and the umpires. We almost always know, often with 100 percent certainty, when calls are blown, and we often know it before the next pitch is thrown. Put a 5th ump in a booth, with access to all video feeds, and a way to replay his own looks whenever he feels the need. He could notify the crew chief when he's reviewing a play, and in many cases there would be NO delay, with a decision made before the next pitch is thrown. Smart men should be able to put together a reasonable way to enact this in a week or less. I'm pretty old-school, but clinging to a system that could be improved, easily, just for the sake of clinging to it is stupid. Replay isn't going to get everything right, but so what? If it overturns even one bad call like this one, it's better than what's in place now.
    Last edited by USAFChief; 06-27-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How about some accountability to the outfielder selling this call. A 3 game suspension would send a message that you don't show up and ump by pulling that crap. I get it you try it if it might work in your favor but this one is pathetic granted the fan with the extra ball had a lot to do with it.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    On instant replay that one should be able to be corrected before the next batter enters the batters box, as could have the review of Spans non homerun last night with a press box ump who reviews every play. It's not like the NFL where you have to look at 3 different things on every play and then after that get the spot and clock right.

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I saw somewhere last night that was comparing it to the blown call on the Mauer double in the playoffs at Yankee Stadium.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    If home runs can be reviewed, there's no reason that catches in foul territory can't be. There's no issue of placement of baserunners on a call like this.

It's not the worst call ever, though. I've seen plenty that are just as bad.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That call wasn't nearly as bad as the Mauer call in the playoffs. At least the umpire had the excuse that fans were obscuring his view whereas only sheer idiocy and blindness was involved with the Mauer double-that-never-was. Plus, Mauer's "double" was during the playoffs when MLB puts extra umpires on the field to make sure stuff like that never happens.

This is a very bad call, no question, but I think this one is the worst of 2012 so far. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...235447642.html

I also seem to remember last season a horrific call that went against the Pirates and may have led to their demise: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...own-call_n.htm

As a life long Twins fan and life long "Yankee Hater" this video makes me livid... Really? The umpire can't see the bozo in the red shirt raising his right hand in the air holding the baseball?! I thought I finally got over the blown call on Mauer's double a couple years ago, but how in the hell do you explain this mistake? It's bad enough they have one of the highest payrolls in the league, and can basically buy any talent they want/need. Now we have to start seeing umpires favoring their players when making calls?! NOT COOL.....

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Stuff like this is why the it evens out in the end argument will never work for me. The Yankees will get this sort of call 9 times for every 1 time it goes against them simply based on the theory that in the back of everyones mind it's all about the money if not in the front of there mind.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What makes that call REALLY bad is that the outfielder doesn't have the ball in his glove. He never shows the ball. That is the first thing the ump should have checked. I do not advocate replay use during the game (I do advocate it in evaluating umpires) and, pretty clearly in this case, replay was not necessary. If the ump had done his job and verified the fielder had the ball, that would be one thing (not necessarily enough to make the "out" call) but he did not. Bad bad bad bad bad!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just imagine how bad umpiring was when games were not televised. Now what we get are mostly mistakes. Without the accountability of replays, the worst calls would have been those made for retribution.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Great, let's go to 4-hour average length games, because 3:15 isn't long enough. Improve the umpiring by breaking the collective arrogance of the umps, so fully on display by this jerk, Dimuro. Isn't that nice-guy Jack Hanahan he throws out there?

One solution is a seperate video ump, with complete overrule authority, no special ump visitation conferences under the stands, a 60 second time limit on any overrule. The other is to speed up the time between pitches, to offeset the replay time.
    the game would speed up 20% if velcro was banned

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkiconk View Post
    the game would speed up 20% if velcro was banned
    Brilliant!

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    What makes that call REALLY bad is that the outfielder doesn't have the ball in his glove. He never shows the ball. That is the first thing the ump should have checked. I do not advocate replay use during the game (I do advocate it in evaluating umpires) and, pretty clearly in this case, replay was not necessary. If the ump had done his job and verified the fielder had the ball, that would be one thing (not necessarily enough to make the "out" call) but he did not. Bad bad bad bad bad!
    I don't understand those who can watch this and then say "I don't advocate replay." I guess you have no complaint about this play then. Pretty clearly in this case, replay was necessary. And it could have corrected this mistake in seconds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast