Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst call ever?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I don't understand those who can watch this and then say "I don't advocate replay." I guess you have no complaint about this play then. Pretty clearly in this case, replay was necessary. And it could have corrected this mistake in seconds.
    I believe I was pretty clear that this call didn't need replay. The umpire never asked to see the ball. If he had, he would have made the correct call. I understand why people want replay. I believe umpiring can be improved vastly by using replay to train/improve umpiring. I do not like interrupting the game and increasing their length at all. I prefer the combination of improved performance by human umpires and shorter (at least not longer) games.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I originally thought the fan near Wise gave him another ball, checking to see if he has the ball is a clear indication the ump was unable to see the play to it's conclusion. Seems like the 15 seconds it would take for everyone to get back in position would be enough time to confirm a call if we already know the on-field call is nothing more then a guess. If the ump would have checked the glove he wouldn't have got this call wrong, but if there simply using things to improve there guess then use things that are closer to 100%.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I believe I was pretty clear that this call didn't need replay. The umpire never asked to see the ball. If he had, he would have made the correct call. I understand why people want replay. I believe umpiring can be improved vastly by using replay to train/improve umpiring. I do not like interrupting the game and increasing their length at all. I prefer the combination of improved performance by human umpires and shorter (at least not longer) games.
    So he got the call wrong, and replay would have easily corrected that, but this play didn't need replay. Brilliant!

They already do use pitch/fx and replay to "improve" umpiring. Umpires get feedback regularly. The problem isn't that umpires are really bad, the problem is umpiring is hard. Simply mandating they be better has no chance of fixing the problem.

And for the record, in this particular case, replay would have shortened the game. All the time spent arguing, and a player getting tossed, would have been avoided.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Not even close to one of the worst calls ever. Awful? yes. Continues to demonstrate why replay is important? yes.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No this wasn't the worst call ever. It's not like it decided the game, and there have been much more egregious misjudgments, such as the one in Colorado mentioned earler where Welkie called the runner out even though you could have driven a Greyhound bus through the gap between where Helton caught the ball and the bag.

It wasn't so much the call itself as everything surrounding it. First, that he didn't ask to see the ball is inexplicable, inexcusable and incompetent. Second, the way he ejected Hanrahan was bizarre:

Hannahan said the expressing of that opinion, without swearing, was what got him tossed, an account DiMuro pretty much confirmed. "He and I got into a discussion about the play,'' DiMuro said. "He told me to reference the tape replay, and that is why I ejected him.''

So while the call wasn't the worst ever, DiMuro's handling of this whole thing may be one of the worst pieces of umpiring I've seen in a while.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Improve the umpiring by breaking the collective arrogance of the umps, so fully on display by this jerk, Dimuro.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I really don't think umpiring is any worse now than it's been. It's just that with virtually every MLB game televised now, usually with mulitple HD cameras catching every play from multiple angles, we usually know in under a minute when a call is missed.
    ---Agreed on both of these points. I'm with Chief on umpiring not being any worse now at least in terms of accuracy of calls. However, thanks to the arrogance noted by jokin, I think umpires have gotten worse in terms of situational handling of the game. There are just too many of these guys who act like they're God's gift to baseball and believe that the people in the stands spend their paychecks to watch them call games.

They are too often thin skinned about getting being questioned about their calls, and needlessly confrontational with players and managers. From Bob Davidson - recently suspended 1 game for "repeated violations of the Office of the Commissioner's standards for situation handling" to the Russell Martin/Laz Diaz feud to guys like Joe West and Angel Hernandez there are too many umpires in professional baseball who do not seem to know how to act like professionals.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My top priority would be to use robots to call pitches. Umpires are ten times worse at that than they are at every other call.

It might be the dumbest call ever.

The Braves-Pirates last year had an extra inning game end on a worse call than this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12