Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Valencia, Morneau LH/RH splits and 1st base

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Can everyone start spelling Twins players' names right?
    I think RP should institute a word filter that corrects all the possible misspellings of all the Twins players to their correct spellings. It may take some time, but it'd take the heavy weight of spelling away from the heathens.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Parmelee is still 24 years old. After struggling in AA at 22 years old, he's starting to hit for more power again. In a brief AAA stint this season, he was raking. He's a good OBP guy with good patience. If he develops even middling power to go with it, he might be a viable option at first.

Again, he's only 24. If it comes down to a 24 year old who needs repetition and seasoning versus a 28 year old miscreant, you choose to give the ABs to the young guy with upside. No one is saying Parmelee is going to take over the world, we're simply saying that he deserves a chance to improve by playing every day in AAA. If he falls on his face, so be it... But at least you'll know what you have in the kid.
    Right. There was also word that he was remaking his swing over past several years, I'm not sure we really know what Parmelee's ceiling or floor is because of that...

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    I guess I just don't understand the expectations from Morneau right now. It feels like reality must be faced at some point. If he can be traded to some sucker team this year, that's fine, but if one thinks playing him against lefties and batting terribly is the way to increase his value, one is nuts. A proper use of Morneau right now and he is likely hitting .250 and who knows how other numbers are affected by time off. I have not looked at his days off and if they were against righties or lefties at all, but I imagine some have been against right-handed pitching since Gardenhire tends to not care about such things.
    Yep. And that point isn't a couple months into Morneau's first season back from a 2 year layoff.

It seems that you don't believe that Morneau can ever hit lefties again. Why? I saw one of the best hitters in the game pre-2011 in Justin Morneau. Isn't it a far more reasonable assumption that he can work on his swing against lefties and figure out what he lost during his time off than that he will simply never be good against lefties again? Yes, he just looks confused out there against lefties so far this year, and yes he should be getting more days off, especially timed against certain pitchers. But platooning him? No way.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Yep. And that point isn't a couple months into Morneau's first season back from a 2 year layoff.

It seems that you don't believe that Morneau can ever hit lefties again. Why? I saw one of the best hitters in the game pre-2011 in Justin Morneau. Isn't it a far more reasonable assumption that he can work on his swing against lefties and figure out what he lost during his time off than that he will simply never be good against lefties again? Yes, he just looks confused out there against lefties so far this year, and yes he should be getting more days off, especially timed against certain pitchers. But platooning him? No way.
    Yeah, I don't get the never will hit lefties again sentiment either, especially considering the time off he has had and the fact he was all-league just before that. His timing is off, his pitch selection is off which is exacerbated by him rarely getting into good hitting counts, he's always behind and starts chasing high fastballs and sliders. To think he can't sort it out is confusing, his success against RHP is proof he can still catch up with any pitch and work a count, I'd bet on him doing it than not.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Morneau strikes me as a master of making adjustments. When he first came into the league, he was awful against lefties (.201 AVG in '05)... a few years later, he was beyond respectable against them (.284 AVG in '08). When he first came into the league, he was considered a defensive liability... a few years later he was one of the finer defensive first basemen in the league. From 2006 to 2010, opposing pitchers constantly tried to figure him out and he kept on beating their adjustments. He was one of the most consistent power hitters in the AL during that span.

Yes, Morneau is a mess against southpaws right now and slumping in general. But I'm willing to believe that he can ultimately make the adjustments to get back on track. Assuming he's healthy. Of course that's no easy assumption.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In deference to vast majority judgment, I will let this go away. I will let the sub .400 OPS of Justin Morneau against lefties wander away into the stratosphere of Danny Valencia hatred (it is VALENCIA-that is how you spell it). I will let 2010 and 2011 concussions to have never happened. OOh, and I will say "who needs wrists when swinging a bat."

Let's watch Morneau's trade value RISE as he continues to suck ROYALLY against lefties!!!!!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    into the stratosphere of Danny Valencia hatred (it is VALENCIA-that is how you spell it).
    For the hell of it, I just checked this thread. Valencia was spelled correctly every time except once, when snepp intentionally mis-spelled it to poke fun of Bert's inability to pronounce his name correctly.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In deference to vast majority judgment, I will let this go away. I will let the sub .400 OPS of Justin Morneau against lefties wander away into the stratosphere of Danny Valencia hatred (it is VALENCIA-that is how you spell it). I will let 2010 and 2011 concussions to have never happened. OOh, and I will say "who needs wrists when swinging a bat."

Let's watch Morneau's trade value RISE as he continues to suck ROYALLY against lefties!!!!!
    Do you really think other GMs are foolish enough to not notice that Justin is no longer playing against lefties and will therefore overpay?

Face the facts, we won't be getting much if anything for Morneau at this trade deadline. This is due to his salary and having a year and a half yet to play. You may as well be patient with him, because that is the ONLY opportunity this team has to get something decent from him... We don't need another #5 pitcher upside guy.

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    For the hell of it, I just checked this thread. Valencia was spelled correctly every time except once, when snepp intentionally mis-spelled it to poke fun of Bert's inability to pronounce his name correctly.
    Actually, I spelled it wrong a bunch of times.

I was too lazy to move two steps to my left and get centered on his spelling. I admit it.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Actually, I spelled it wrong a bunch of times.

I was too lazy to move two steps to my left and get centered on his spelling. I admit it.
    Huh. Well, I missed the errors so they must not have been too egregious.

edit: Hah, I searched via find and typed "val". I didn't expect anyone to get the second letter wrong.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts

Do his wrists suddenly hurt against lefties? They seem to work fine against righties. What a strange injury.

Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Maybe you'd recognize him as Danny Valenshia.
    Nope, not ringing any bells.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the suggestions merely because regular AAA ABs are better than spot starts in the MLB. It's better to give the important ABs to someone who may actually have a future in the organization (Parmelee) than someone who doesn't (Valencia). I also think Plouffe could use an occasional break at 3B and I don't think Carroll is really a good substitute at the corner. Don't get me wrong, a platoon at first is a good idea for Danny, but there are bigger reasons leading to exactly why he should be promoted.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    I like the suggestions merely because regular AAA ABs are better than spot starts in the MLB. It's better to give the important ABs to someone who may actually have a future in the organization (Parmelee) than someone who doesn't (Valencia). I also think Plouffe could use an occasional break at 3B and I don't think Carroll is really a good substitute at the corner. Don't get me wrong, a platoon at first is a good idea for Danny, but there are bigger reasons leading to exactly why he should be promoted.

Danny hit at every level of the minors and continued to do so in his first year in the bigs... His sophomore season was "unlucky" as well. I'm not sure anyone should be giving up on him as he could be cheap/average production in the linup for a few years if he adjusts and figures things out. I have no problems with him playing every day in AAA if he won't do it in ML... and with Parmalee, he's a better prospect. I don't care where he's playing, but he should be doing it every day.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456