Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Valencia, Morneau LH/RH splits and 1st base

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    It would appear that Valencia isn't going to fit in the Twins future so getting him some at bats where he could succeed might raise his trade value from the now broken bat level.
    Unless Valencia turns it around completely (and thereby makes himself valuable to the Twins in other ways), his trade value is nothing. If he's going to be an asset moving forward, it's probably going to be as a right-handed platoon bat.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    OK parmelee is doing nothing on the roster. Sitting on the bench does him no good or the team any good. Bringing up Valencia does make sense becasue he fits what they need better. I would think that he should play 3rd on the days a lefty is pitching and Plouffe can play first, however. Giving Morneau a day off now and then against a lefty is logical and having his bat on the bench for later in the game is a big plus. It also wouldn't be a bad thing to have Valencia on the bench agaist a lefty reliever late in a game. It would appear that Valencia isn't going to fit in the Twins future so getting him some at bats where he could succeed might raise his trade value from the now broken bat level.
    Others would argue that Valencia needs to be playing every day in the AAA for him to continue to improve his hitting and fielding. I just think if you want a lefty masher to play 1-2 times a week you can do a lot better then a Danny Valencia.

Giving Morneau a day or two off from time to time against tough lefties is one thing, its entirely another thing to go full platoon on him, I do not endorse the 2nd and think the first is the smart way to go.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Unless Valencia turns it around completely (and thereby makes himself valuable to the Twins in other ways)
    Naked batting practice guy?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Others would argue that Valencia needs to be playing every day in the AAA for him to continue to improve his hitting and fielding. I just think if you want a lefty masher to play 1-2 times a week you can do a lot better then a Danny Valencia.

Giving Morneau a day or two off from time to time against tough lefties is one thing, its entirely another thing to go full platoon on him, I do not endorse the 2nd and think the first is the smart way to go.
    Is there a better option right now? There's nothing stopping you from sending him back down later when/if one becomes available. And as DPJ pointed out, he's not some young kid anymore, the amount of improvement is likely to be very minimal, almost certainly less than the improvement you would hope to expect from Parmelee.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    100_0262.jpg

Must... Post... Ten... Characters...

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Is this a Mike Redmond reference?
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Is there a better option right now? There's nothing stopping you from sending him back down later when/if one becomes available. And as DPJ pointed out, he's not some young kid anymore, the amount of improvement is likely to be very minimal, almost certainly less than the improvement you would hope to expect from Parmelee.
    Then bring him up to rot on the bench, he still isn't good enough to be taking at bats from Morneau on a full time platoon level. It's way to early to take Morneau out of the lineup 2 or so days a week.

As per my previous posts, I never advocated a full platoon, merely that having Valencia on the bench getting the occasional at-bat against lefties makes considerably more sense than Parmelee rotting on the bench doing absolutely nothing.

Basically it boils down to this for me.

Parmelee potential future + not rotting + getting full-time ab's in AAA >>>>> Valencia potential future + rotting + getting some ab's vs lefties
    Last edited by snepp; 06-26-2012 at 03:55 PM.

As per my previous posts, I never advocated a full platoon, merely that having Valencia on the bench getting the occasional at-bat against lefties makes considerably more sense than Parmelee rotting on the bench doing absolutely nothing.
    Yeah, but I didn't think that was the topic at hand, and I don't think anyone would disagree with you. I forgot Parmelee was even on the roster to be honest, he gets zero playing time.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Ditto. Morneau has to sit occasionally, as does Plouffe. Parmelee is not helping the team by sitting on the bench; Valencia may as well get those at-bats. I'm not advocating a platoon either, just stating that the Twins should be using both their current and future assets more wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Ditto. Morneau has to sit occasionally, as does Plouffe. Parmelee is not helping the team by sitting on the bench; Valencia may as well get those at-bats. I'm not advocating a platoon either, just stating that the Twins should be using both their current and future assets more wisely.
    Why does Plouffe have to sit occasionally? I get protecting him from himself against some elite RHP from time to time, but Plouffe should be playing nearly every day.
    Also as far as Plouffe's at bats/games at third go, might as well give them to Carroll who has proven to be a asset in the field (vs Valencia's routine garbage) and has proven to get on base at a decent clip.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Why does Plouffe have to sit occasionally? I get protecting him from himself against some elite RHP from time to time, but Plouffe should be playing nearly every day.
    Also as far as Plouffe's at bats/games at third go, might as well give them to Carroll who has proven to be a asset in the field (vs Valencia's routine garbage) and has proven to get on base at a decent clip.
    Occasionally, as in "not often". Basically, Valencia would pick up a few ABs from Morneau and a few garbage ABs here and there on getaway days. I'm not advocating that the guy get 500 ABs.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Perhaps Parmelee remains due to the lingering Doumit injured calf, Mauer recent injury and secret Morneau injury (if there is one) -- thus he's insurance as something damaging could happen at any moment to those three mentioned, requiring Parm to come in a play 1st. I'm not saying this is the truth or the exact reasoning of the front office, but am doing my best to put the pinches together because, as you all above have noted, Parm getting 3-4 ABs a weeks is baffling.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

I forgot Parmelee was even on the roster to be honest, he gets zero playing time.
    You weren't the only one, I had to go check the official roster to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Perhaps Parmelee remains due to the lingering Doumit injured calf, Mauer recent injury and secret Morneau injury (if there is one) -- thus he's insurance as something damaging could happen at any moment to those three mentioned, requiring Parm to come in a play 1st. I'm not saying this is the truth or the exact reasoning of the front office, but am doing my best to put the pinches together because, as you all above have noted, Parm getting 3-4 ABs a weeks is baffling.
    Well Gardy does insist on 3 Catchers on the roster just in case they lose the DH (chances are about 1:3,000 or so), it wouldn't shock me if he keeps 6 1st baseman on the roster for the same reason

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    are we seriously arguing that Danny V and Morneau should be platooning? I get the idea of making sure that Morneau's day off is against a lefty, but I do think he should be playing every day, as should Valencia and Parmalee. This season is pretty much toast, so unless they can find a spot for those two to occupy every day, then they should be doing it in AAA.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    are we seriously arguing that Danny V and Morneau should be platooning? I get the idea of making sure that Morneau's day off is against a lefty, but I do think he should be playing every day, as should Valencia and Parmalee. This season is pretty much toast, so unless they can find a spot for those two to occupy every day, then they should be doing it in AAA.
    Playing everyday...Parm yes, Valencia not so much. Danny is 27, playing everyday in AAA isn't gonna turn him into a major league starter. Better for him to rot on the bench and get the occiasional start or pitch hit duties against tough LHP then have Chris sit and sit for games on end.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post

A Valencia/Morneau 1B platoon seems to make the most sense as it maximizes the value in a very simple way and it has the added benefit of not "Tosoni-ing" Parmelee. And then the Twins have another power (vs. LH at least) bat in the lineup. Willingham-Plouffe-Parmelee at 4-5-6 (or 3-4-5) against lefties is pretty appealing.

Thoughts?
    It could work, but can be done another (easier) way without Valencia having to learn another position: Do the Valencia-Parmelee swap and against LHP play Valencia at 3B and Plouffe at 1B (a position he played before). Easy peasy. But that is if Morneau sticks around the next month or 2
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 853 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    It could work, but can be done another (easier) way without Valencia having to learn another position: Do the Valencia-Parmelee swap and against LHP play Valencia at 3B and Plouffe at 1B (a position he played before). Easy peasy. But that is if Morneau sticks around the next month or 2
    Are you suggesting he is gone by July 31? I'm not sure they can get much for him the way he is going right now- but then again, selling at rock bottom has become the "Twins Way".

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Ploufee has played all of 13 innings at 1B in his MLB career, it's not like he's a slick glove over there. NTM if you think he's the 3B of the future, you leave him there every single say cause his defense leaves alot to be desired.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast