Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Capps - "Shoulder Not Good"

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Re-signing Capps to an above market contract and losing 2 draft picks in the process is another feather on the cap of the interim GM. Not that this would have made much difference this season, but losing the 2 draft picks could hurt (more) in the future. I don't get how the Twins are evaluating players, esp. when re-signing their own free agents.

Not sure who will come up. Maybe nobody. Pavano (another great re-sign, btw) might decide to get off the DL one of these years. They could have up to 26 players in the upcoming doubleheader and DicknBert indicated that a AAA pitcher (Cole DeVries anyone?) will come up to start one of the 2 games.

The only issue I have with Duensing starting is that he is limited to 60 pitchers so you really have both him and Swarzak out of the game for a while. Other than that, the 2013 rotation projects to be such a mess, that it would not hurt to have tryouts during the season. Malloney has been stinking up the place in AAA, I do not see how they recall him. Might be a nice thing for Robertson, but that would make his clock ticking...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Re-signing Capps to an above market contract and losing 2 draft picks in the process is another feather on the cap of the interim GM. Not that this would have made much difference this season, but losing the 2 draft picks could hurt (more) in the future. I don't get how the Twins are evaluating players, esp. when re-signing their own free agents.

Not sure who will come up. Maybe nobody. Pavano (another great re-sign, btw) might decide to get off the DL one of these years. They could have up to 26 players in the upcoming doubleheader and DicknBert indicated that a AAA pitcher (Cole DeVries anyone?) will come up to start one of the 2 games.

The only issue I have with Duensing starting is that he is limited to 60 pitchers so you really have both him and Swarzak out of the game for a while. Other than that, the 2013 rotation projects to be such a mess, that it would not hurt to have tryouts during the season. Malloney has been stinking up the place in AAA, I do not see how they recall him. Might be a nice thing for Robertson, but that would make his clock ticking...
    It would have been one pick for Capps if another team signed him to a major league contract by a given date. I would have taken the one pick though.

I am not sure what you mean by Robertson's clock. Arbitration? The Twins should have no concern about a 24 year old reliever getting arbitration a year earlier. It will be good news if Robertson plays long enough to get that opportunity. At this point, it is unlikely he will have a significant major league career.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Duensing being limited to 60 was just for that first start, because he wasn't used to pitching more than a couple of innnings per game. They're going to increase his pitch count as he goes.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    It would have been one pick for Capps if another team signed him to a major league contract by a given date. I would have taken the one pick though.

I am not sure what you mean by Robertson's clock. Arbitration? The Twins should have no concern about a 24 year old reliever getting arbitration a year earlier. It will be good news if Robertson plays long enough to get that opportunity. At this point, it is unlikely he will have a significant major league career.
    2 picks. Type A like Cuddyer... Big mistake by the interim.

Yeah I do mean the arbitration clock. And I am more optimistic about Robertson than you are
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2 picks. Type A like Cuddyer... Big mistake by the interim.
    After the new CBA, Capps was reclassified as a "modified Type-B" and the Twins would have received a sandwich pick had he been signed by another team.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/M...tt_Capps112211

Again, I would have taken the one pick over signing Capps. I hope the Twins do not worry about any 24 year old and arbitration, especially a LOOGY where future compensation will not be significant.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the team should have erred on the side of safety and had the MRI done immediately. Not to take the trainers side, because their track record is not very good the last couple of years, but if the player is not forthcoming about how much pain he is in or what motions hurt or anything along these lines, then the teams hands are tied while the player gets "a couple of days off to figure it out". Being a tough guy is a good thing, but if your hurt admit it.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Capps did pitch through some injuries last year even if he didn't pitch through them very well. The Twins and Capps probably thought he could fight through the injury. Before this most recent outing, he seemed to think that he should still be used as the closer and he was ticked that Perkins got the save the other day. He didn't even talk to reporters that day.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 350 Times in 175 Posts

No, we would not have gotten two picks for Matt Capps. We would have gotten 1 because he was not a type A. You can certainly make the argument that they should have taken the pick, but if Capps comes back healthy he should be able to net us a decent enough prospect where at the end of the day it is a wash. Everybody hates Capps but the guy has been pretty dependable as a closer this year prior to the shoulder issue. It was far from the worst signing in the world and the Twins had gotten there moneys worth on him up to this point.

Worrying about an arbitration clock for a guy like Tyler Robertson is completely pointless. Duensing will also prob not be limited to 60 pitches each start from here on out, they limited him to 60 his first start since he didn't really have time to stretch out.

You bitch about the Pavano signing, but it really wasn't that bad as he has consistently given us 220 IP of around 4.30 ERA pitching, that is definitely worth the 8 million we are paying him, it sucks he is hurt and all but it is what it is.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 06-25-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,474 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    You bitch about the Pavano signing, but it really wasn't that bad as he has consistently given us 220 IP of around 4.30 ERA pitching, that is definitely worth the 8 million we are paying him, it sucks he is hurt and all but it is what it is.
    The Pavano signing was a good one if you have two better pitchers in front of him... Something akin to a Scott Baker and a Francisco Liriano.

The problem is that those two completely collapsed, not that the Twins signed Pavano. Pavano was a great acquisition and a decent signing. The type of move a contending team makes when they need to round out their roster.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have away for awhile, so this is late . . . but Brian Duensing starting is absolutely ludicrous.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    This training staff fricking blows. I hate this team right now for so many reasons.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    No, we would not have gotten two picks for Matt Capps. We would have gotten 1 because he was not a type A. You can certainly make the argument that they should have taken the pick, but if Capps comes back healthy he should be able to net us a decent enough prospect where at the end of the day it is a wash. Everybody hates Capps but the guy has been pretty dependable as a closer this year prior to the shoulder issue. It was far from the worst signing in the world and the Twins had gotten there moneys worth on him up to this point.

Yeah cause 90+ loss teams totally need 5 million wrapped into 70 innings, that's really what smart rebuilding teams should do. Punt draft a pick and pay mediocre relief arms 5 million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    After the new CBA, Capps was reclassified as a "modified Type-B" and the Twins would have received a sandwich pick had he been signed by another team.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/M...tt_Capps112211

Again, I would have taken the one pick over signing Capps. I hope the Twins do not worry about any 24 year old and arbitration, especially a LOOGY where future compensation will not be significant.
    agreed with all of this 100%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12