Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: mlb.tv part II

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mlb.tv part II

Jeff Passen dissects MLB's blackout policy and reports on a lawsuit challenging it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb%E2%...dark-ages.html

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. I have no idea what kind of legal ground MLB is on with blackout restrictions but I know I'd love to see it done away with... Not that there aren't workarounds to avoid it in the first place but it's kind of a pain in the ass to do it every time a game is blacked out.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Being in Iowa, I am in the blackout zone for the twins, royals, cardinals, brewers, cubs, and white Sox. Which is totally fair. Also, im still trying to figure out why half my MLB network games get blacked out when neither team is even in the Midwest.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Oops didn't realize the article talked about Iowa already.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Being in Iowa, I am in the blackout zone for the twins, royals, cardinals, brewers, cubs, and white Sox. Which is totally fair. Also, im still trying to figure out why half my MLB network games get blacked out when neither team is even in the Midwest.
    When it comes to the financial powerhouse that is Iowa, it's better safe than sorry. You can't let any of the midwest teams get the upper hand by showing their games to an additional 40 people.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are we sure this will lead to more access? If the RSNs don't have exclusivity, they offer a lower bid for local rights. It then comes down to whether the amount they (MLB clubs) lose collectively is more than or less than what they get from mlb.tv. If it's more than what mlb.tv can provide, they'll just axe the service completely. There is no constitutional right to watch baseball over the internet.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Are we sure this will lead to more access? If the RSNs don't have exclusivity, they offer a lower bid for local rights. It then comes down to whether the amount they (MLB clubs) lose collectively is more than or less than what they get from mlb.tv. If it's more than what mlb.tv can provide, they'll just axe the service completely. There is no constitutional right to watch baseball over the internet.
    They wouldn't axe the service. It would be a massive mistake. That's where the future is going and MLBAM is smart enough to know that. They might increase the price or do any number of things but they won't kill the service.