Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: 26 Man Roster Next Saturday?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

26 Man Roster Next Saturday?

OK, so we have a day-night doubleheader scheduled for Saturday 6/30 (because of a previous postponement). MLB roster rules have been changed this year to allow a team to have a 26th person on the active roster for the day of those games (presumably to allow them to bring up a spot starter without completely upsetting their rotation).

So do the Twins take advantage of this? Who do they bring up - DeVries? Or do they bring up a bench player or another reliever (on the assumption that the bullpen will be needed heavily that day)?

Thoughts?

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I could see them using Cole DeVries to start one of the games. If that means they take advantage of this rule, then more power to them.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Toby Gardenhire would be a logical choice.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jctwins View Post
    Toby Gardenhire would be a logical choice.
    Well first the Twins would have to bring him back into the organization... but in all seriousness the clear answer is a 4th catcher.

More interesting is the 26th man. In fact, this is the solution to avoid playing World Series games in November - schedule a split double-header every Saturday from Memorial Day to the Sunday before the All-Star break. I think that would be 7 Saturdays, but if not add a Saturday before or after. Doing that would shorten the season by one week - and allow teams to have a 26th player for the entire day, of course.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 510 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Samuel Deduno! He pitched last night for the Red Wings. 6 IP, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K. I believe Deduno is being stretched out from bullpen duties. I saw him in ST, thought he was much younger, but he sure looked to have a live arm.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Give Denudo a couple more good starts and he'll be up as the "flavor of the week".

Or the latest mud to throw against the wall and see if it sticks.

Biggest factor is if the Twins even know this rule exits

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snortwood View Post
    More interesting is the 26th man. In fact, this is the solution to avoid playing World Series games in November - schedule a split double-header every Saturday from Memorial Day to the Sunday before the All-Star break. I think that would be 7 Saturdays, but if not add a Saturday before or after. Doing that would shorten the season by one week - and allow teams to have a 26th player for the entire day, of course.
    MLB is indeed considering allowing split doubleheaders for just that reason - schedule congestion. They're not considering them as often, but they are moving to allowing each team to schedule 1 per season. If it catches on, who knows?

Blog Entries
    Interesting. I hadn't thought about Deduno, but he is trending upward. The factor against him being called up is he would need to be put on the 40-man roster, whereas DeVries already is. Yes, we have open 40-man roster slots, but it's harder to move people off the 40-man than it is the 25-man; you have to send them through waivers and could potentially lose him. I would think they would only add Deduno to the 40-man if they are pretty confident he can justify staying on it after the spot duty is done, and it may be a tad early to say that.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's just like making a trade!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's going to depend a lot on if Capps ends up on the DL. If he does, I would expect that they add Maloney, French, or some other lefty to the 40 man and bring them up, so they can use Perkins as a closer and have more than just duensing to work as a LOOGY.

Gardy has already said that PJ Walters will be activated & pitch one of the games. The corresponding move will be Sunday morning to get back to to 25.

The rule is only for scheduled in advance DH's. Rainout on a SAT & DH on a Sunday, for ex, doesnt count.

If we go with a LH out of pen, Tyler Robertson is the guy. Already on the 40 man roster, w/ lefties hitting .167 with 19K in 15.1IP
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 06-24-2012 at 01:29 PM.