Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Why haven't we hired Mickey Hatcher?

Why haven't we hired Mickey Hatcher?

With several teams going with two hitting coaches these days, Hatcher seems like a good fit for a few reasons a) Twins roots in his past b) by all accounts a solid instructor that learned future managerial skills from Scioscia and c) would bring a new voice to this team on the coaching ranks.

Not saying that gardy needs to be fired, although no one keeps a job forever, but maybe bringing in a guy like Hatcher would inspire Gardy a bit as well?

Liked 1,198 Times in 697 Posts
    Nothing against Hatcher but I'd like to see them hire a Spanish-speaking coach at the major league level. (Of course I also think that they generally need an infusion of some new personnel in the coaching staff).

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do we know that Hatcher is even looking to geg back into coaching at this point
    Joe Vavra has done a terrific job as Twins hitting coach. Rightfully, the Twins wouldn't bring someone in as a 2nd guy for that spot.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Joe Vavra has done a terrific job as Twins hitting coach..
    A

As measured by? The Twins have been on the bottom of most hitting categories for ages. Part of it was Scotty and then he was beamed up to 3rd base and Vavra took over. Still futility. I don't know how you define "terrific", but it more like horrific to me...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I would bring in Coomer, before Hatcher. I actually would like to see Stele (love the guy) retire and someone else replace Ullger. I keep hoping someone will offer Ullger a short-term managing job just to get him elsewhere. Watch Rochester...the Twins may be grooming a full slate to move up from there, with also names like Jeff Smith, Jake Mauer and Tommy Watkins considered for coaching jobs if the Twins make a big change.....

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Do we know that Hatcher is even looking to geg back into coaching at this point
    Joe Vavra has done a terrific job as Twins hitting coach. Rightfully, the Twins wouldn't bring someone in as a 2nd guy for that spot.
    I think Vavra gets more crap then he deserves, but I wouldn't exactly describe him as "terrfific" I'd more or less give him a "meh", which is what you can give to the majority of major league hitting coaches.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

The Twins have been on the bottom of most hitting categories for ages.
    No they haven't...

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Because he's prolly not very mobile out in RF these days?

//rimshot//

Paul Molitor anyone????

Liked 131 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ltwedt View Post
    Paul Molitor anyone????
    Seattle tried that for a year and it clearly didn't go that well because it only lasted one year. There's no guarantee that Molitor would be interested in the job anyway.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's always hard to judge how good a coach is, because you don't always have the opportunity to make a fair comparison with how other coaches would do with the same player. The two people off the top of my head that did better with other teams than they did with the Twins under Vavra are Delmon Young (who did have streaks of greatness with the twins, and still has a long way to go to prove he can be a consistent great hitter) and JJ Hardy (who was coming off a terrible year and struggled with inures during the one year he was with us). What other hitters have worked with Vavra and done significantly different when working with a different major league hitting coach?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    The two people off the top of my head that did better with other teams than they did with the Twins under Vavra are Delmon Young (who did have streaks of greatness with the twins, and still has a long way to go to prove he can be a consistent great hitter) and JJ Hardy (who was coming off a terrible year and struggled with inures during the one year he was with us).
    Is there another Delmon Young that played for the Twins other than the one I'm thinking of? And as long as we're mentioning JJ Hardy, one might mention that he gave an interview this year where he gave a lot of credit for his current success to the work of Vavra.

They arent gonna hire Hatcher & if there is a change, its pretty obvious that Mickey's former teammate Tom Brunansky is the hitting coach in waiting.
    Gardy has never favored ex players that had success. That would challenge his authority. With Gardy's deal on its last year, after this one, its either extend him or let him go time. Terry Ryan may try to change the coaching staff & if he does, Gardy may just resign...as he's extremely loyal to his coaches. This gets both off the hook. If he wants to stay & get extended, now is the time to get a coaching shakeup with Gardys blessing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    [ The two people off the top of my head that did better with other teams than they did with the Twins under Vavra are Delmon Young (who did have streaks of greatness with the twins, and still has a long way to go to prove he can be a consistent great hitter) and JJ Hardy
    Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos

2012 26 DET AL 63 251 238 18 62 14 0 5 24 0 1 8 50 .261 .295 .382 .677 84 91 7 4 0 1 0 D7
    MIN (4 yrs) 497 1977 1845 233 530 106 7 47 273 22 14 93 333 .287 .324 .429 .753 103 791 64 17 1 21 15

I don't think Young is doing much different this year than he did with the Twins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well there you go. My point is valid, there isn't really any player that you can point at and say "Joe Vavra made him a crappy hitter"