Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Bad Teams or Good Liriano?

Bad Teams or Good Liriano?

just threw this up at Twinkietown.

http://www.twinkietown.com/2012/6/22...r-good-liriano

Liked 2,152 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobynotjason View Post
    That's Good Stuff... Thanks for sharing that.

Here's the Deal... In my opinion... Liriano is a great pitcher... Liriano just pitches like a bad pitcher.

He found it... I just don't trust that he won't lose it again. Watching him try and pitch from the stretch to start an inning and then start with the windup the next inning earlier this year tells you how he lost he was.

If he can lock in his mechanics and keep them locked in. His stuff will reward you. It's the IF part that makes him such a problem. This shouldn't be an issue at this stage of his career. Foot Strike Consistency... Rotation... Release Point... Arm Angle... Should be 2nd nature by now.

He's been to Jeckyl and Hyde to relax that the monster has been put to rest.

Liriano is destined to leave the Twins and become a superstar elsewhere.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,473 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    That's Good Stuff... Thanks for sharing that.

Here's the Deal... In my opinion... Liriano is a great pitcher... Liriano just pitches like a bad pitcher.

He found it... I just don't trust that he won't lose it again. Watching him try and pitch from the stretch to start an inning and then start with the windup the next inning earlier this year tells you how he lost he was.

If he can lock in his mechanics and keep them locked in. His stuff will reward you. It's the IF part that makes him such a problem. This shouldn't be an issue at this stage of his career. Foot Strike Consistency... Rotation... Release Point... Arm Angle... Should be 2nd nature by now.

He's been to Jeckyl and Hyde to relax that the monster has been put to rest.

Liriano is destined to leave the Twins and become a superstar elsewhere.
    Agreed 100%. Liriano has all the talent in the world, he just seems to lack grey matter between the ears. And no, I'm not calling him "soft". I don't really believe in such things. He can't seem to keep his mechanics, pitch strategy, anything in focus over the course of an entire season. It's like he has a huge baseball blindspot that he can't seem to overcome.

If he ever found a way to pitch to his capabilities, he'd be a perennial Cy contender. But I'm hesitant to drop $30m on a guy who seems so out of touch with his surroundings.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 306 Times in 149 Posts
    Isn't this a fool me once shame on you, fool me 4-5 times shame on me?

Liked 1,142 Times in 675 Posts
    Good read. I wouldn't have a problem if the Twins signed Frankie to an extension but I wonder whether a different pitching coach could get more consistency from him.

This actually isn't a criticism of Rick Anderson. It is a recognition that we're all human and that we connect better with some people than with others. Maybe Anderson can get Liriano back to the Frankie of 2010. But maybe someone else would have more success with him.

I'll be interested to see whether there is enough "good" from him to intrigue another team into taking a flier (and giving up something decent in return).

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Bad Teams or Good Liriano?"

Yes. But will either last?

If I could be reasonably sure this time it's for real, I'd sign him back up in a heartbeat. Given his history, though, how can we really have that kind of confidence... If something decent is offered as trade bait, I think you gotta consider it, even if it's a move we look back on with hindsight and criticize (when he throw consecutive one-hit games 8 years from now for somebody else).

Liked 2,152 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Good read. I wouldn't have a problem if the Twins signed Frankie to an extension but I wonder whether a different pitching coach could get more consistency from him.

This actually isn't a criticism of Rick Anderson. It is a recognition that we're all human and that we connect better with some people than with others. Maybe Anderson can get Liriano back to the Frankie of 2010. But maybe someone else would have more success with him.

I'll be interested to see whether there is enough "good" from him to intrigue another team into taking a flier (and giving up something decent in return).
    You are correct... I don't believe that Rick Anderson has the magic words for everyone and it's no fault of Anderson. Coaches get too much credit and too much blame.

He seems to pitch better with Butera. Maybe a Spanish speaking coach on the roster can put it in Dominican Republic cultural phrasology. And maybe everybody in the organization has taken a turn at talking with Frankie... Who knows?

All I know... He get's lost real bad at it seems to last for awhile. How you keep him out of the woods is beyond me.

Liked 2,935 Times in 1,253 Posts
    I have no idea whether or not Liriano can continue to pitch well. But I'm pretty confident his most recent good stretch has little if anything to do with who he's pitched against. He's pitched against major league hitters. Every team has some, even the teams that don't score as much as others. Pittsburgh might not have a great offense but they didn't have a whole lot of trouble squaring up the ball on Liam Hendricks last night.

You have to pitch well to have sustained success in the big leagues, no matter who you're facing.