Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 30 Man Roster

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My guess is that the DH is heading toward universal acceptance anyway, eventually. That will reduce the number of substitutions and make a larger roster mostly unnecessary.

I do think there would be merit in looking at a 7-day DL list - not just for concussions, but for any injury like the minor leagues have. That would better maximize managers having a full bench available to play, and not have as many "walking wounded."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Having a shorter DL would also discourage players from playing hurt. How many times has a guy been out for 3 or 4 games, and then got into a game because they really needed him, and then got hurt worse and ended up on the 15 day DL anyways?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Having a shorter DL would also discourage players from playing hurt. How many times has a guy been out for 3 or 4 games, and then got into a game because they really needed him, and then got hurt worse and ended up on the 15 day DL anyways?
    You're not thinking of anybody in Minnesota, are you?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    My guess is that the DH is heading toward universal acceptance anyway, eventually. That will reduce the number of substitutions and make a larger roster mostly unnecessary.
    AL teams with a DH have as many or more pitchers for bullpen substitutions now. There is no movement in baseball to make DH universally accepted or dropped. The players union won't let it be completely dropped, and the owners don't want any more "veteran" positions, which is basically what a DH is. There will be one more team with DH starting next year with the Astros move to the AL, but that's as much DH movement as I'd wager you'll see in the next 10-20 years, minimum.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Only 30? Why stop at 30? This is the dumbest thought I have heard of in a while. I can already imagine a 5 hour game with all the pitching changes there would be. Like Gardy needs more options, he doesn't have a clue what to do with the current 25. Why is Darin Mastroianni still in the majors?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    The worst part about a 30 man roster is you would have at least one or two guys that has absolutely no business being on a major league roster ever or even a AAA or AA roster. i.e. each team would instantly go out and sign the fastest 40 yard dash guy they could find to simply be late inning pinch runners and nothing else.

I personally think a 25 man roster is just fine, maybe you allow teams to stretch it to 26 in the world series just so that a pitcher never comes up to bat in the bottom of the 13 inning in an important game.

Though I imagine a guy like Drew Butera would be a fan of the 30 man roster, he would end up being a 20 year vet.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
    I don't like the idea of a 30 man roster because it makes it that much easier to draft a rule 5 player and hide him on the roster for the year if he doesn't put up mlb numbers for you -- but by hiding him, you'd still get to keep him instead of sending back to his team of origin. You'd see a lot more guys taken as rule 5 guys if this were to happen. Not a good way to keep prospect you are developing but who you cannot yet put on the 40 man roster. Then again, maybe that would change to the 45 man roster, eh?
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12