Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: High-Scoring vs. Low-Scoring Games?

High-Scoring vs. Low-Scoring Games?

What do you prefer to see--low-scoring games where pitching and defense dominate, or high-scoring slugfests?

Personally I'd much rather be in the crowd for a game with a crazy 15-12 score than a 3-1 game. I've always been of the opinion that great hitting is more exciting than great pitching, although Santana and Liriano nearly had me convinced otherwise in 2006.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    Completely 100% opposite. Give me a pitcher's duel anytime over a slugfest. I'm very happy that we've come back to earth on offense in baseball because watching a guy like Justin Verlander win his 20th last year where he struggled, yet was still firing 99mph past 100 pitches gets me much more excited than watching home run trot after home run trot. It's like the dunk in basketball. Done now and again, it's exciting and brings a ton to the game. Done over and over, it loses its value and becomes boring.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Typically, I don't find much difference as long as the game is relatively close. My favorite is somewhere in between, actually (4-3 games, etc). But the fact that the Twins have had a fair number of high-scoring games this year has actually been good to my eye, because last year when they fell down by two or three or four runs early, the game felt over. Last night was an example, though, where even after they fell behind, I felt like the COULD come back (even though they obviously didn't).

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I'm getting hammered in the stands, a slugfest is a lot of fun.

If I actually want to watch baseball, give me a pitcher's duel.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I prefer a good pitchers duel - game 7 of the 91 series is my favorite game of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post

Since Option 1 isn't an option for me, perhaps my love for Option 2 makes sense in a whole different way!

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I prefer a good pitchers duel - game 7 of the 91 series is my favorite game of all time.
    Same here, even being on the wrong side of that game. The great part about a 2-1 game is that anything can mean the game. The 3B botches a throw, the tying (or winning) run can get in scoring position. Wild pitch, and the ballgame could be over. It adds to the overall intensity of every single pitch and every single play.

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post

You hit the nail on the head with that comment.

It also depends on who is playing as well. A Twins v. White Sox... Pitcher duel.

A St. Paul Saints game... good and hammered slugfest.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Typically, I don't find much difference as long as the game is relatively close. My favorite is somewhere in between, actually (4-3 games, etc). But the fact that the Twins have had a fair number of high-scoring games this year has actually been good to my eye, because last year when they fell down by two or three or four runs early, the game felt over. Last night was an example, though, where even after they fell behind, I felt like the COULD come back (even though they obviously didn't).
    I concur with this.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Same here, even being on the wrong side of that game. The great part about a 2-1 game is that anything can mean the game. The 3B botches a throw, the tying (or winning) run can get in scoring position. Wild pitch, and the ballgame could be over. It adds to the overall intensity of every single pitch and every single play.
    Yes. It forces teams to play solid, fundamental baseball and not make mental or physical mistakes. You won't get bailed out by a big inning later on.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I want variety, from game to game. A pitcher's duel is good for me only in the context that the offenses are actually capable and would be hitting them out if the pitchers were serving up meatballs. A slugfest is fun when you know that these are capable pitchers and the offense is just having one of those days. A 4-4 game in the seventh is all the more tense if you feel it could swing either way in the final innings - might end up 5-4 in extra innings, might end up 11-5 just as easily. 9-2 is all right once in a while, as long as you're not on the wrong end of it too often.

There's nothing better to me than a pitcher's dual. Every pitch has purpose, and every pitch could turn the game around.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMeat View Post
    There's nothing better to me than a pitcher's dual.
    Two pitchers throwing at one batter??!?!?

Oh man, sign me up right now.

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nothing in baseball is better to watch than an amazing defensive play. It beats the hard Slider and the 370 foot home run every time.

The perfect baseball game is right in the middle... Great defense and the occasional long ball. Baseball is great to watch when it is played the right way. The score just ends up being the score.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to Santana and his dominance with the Twins, I am more of a fan of pitcher's duels.

It seems closer to a playoff game when the pitchers are locked and the use of the bullpen becomes critical in the late innings.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    I prefer a close game where the last hitter of the game matters. Though if you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick, I'd take 1-0 over 11-10.