Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torii Hunter at 290 Career Homers

Torii Hunter at 290 Career Homers

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the little guy that hacked at everything just 10 short years ago is only 10 HR's away from 300 for his career. Quite the accomplishment and I for one am happy for him. He always seemed to play with a smile on his face and seemed genuinely excited to be playing here. He also did a lot for the community in his time in MN.

He may have followed dollar signs out to CA, but I'll always think of him as a Twin.

Proud of all his accomplishments through his career.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 235 Posts
    His season-long "oh look at me, I'm going to be a free agent, oh I'd love to play here" campaign effectively ended my caring for whatever he does. I don't view him negatively, I'll just always see him as "an ex-Twin."

Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    His season-long "oh look at me, I'm going to be a free agent, oh I'd love to play here" campaign effectively ended my caring for whatever he does. I don't view him negatively, I'll just always see him as "an ex-Twin."
    This.....good riddance & glad he never won in ANA

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Although T-Hunt can sometimes look like an idiot with his over exaggerated remarks sometimes. I still have love for T-Hunt. How can anyone blame him for leaving the Twins to go to Anaheim. 18M a season for 5 years - that is stupid. For that time period that is 6M per season overpaid. Kudos to him for getting his pay day. It is obviously clear that T-Hunt will not be an HOFer, but if he hits the 300HR mark combined with his stellar defense, he can chill with the likes of Dwight Evans, Tony Oliva, Vada Pinson, Minnie Minoso and so on. That is not too bad, especially when you are worth a 100M or so.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I don't blame Hunter for leaving for the money. The Twins were wise not to give him that amount.

I stopped looking up to Hunter in 2005 when he hurt his ankle, and instead of staying with the team, he went home. Granted, he couldn't play or do much, but he could have stayed around and been the teammate and leader that many said he was... Instead, he comes back late in the season, sits on the bench, mocks Mauer and Morneau, throws a punch at Morneau, misses and hits Nick Punto... and then what did the leader do? Left the team again and went home.

That's where I stopped looking up to him. His advertising himself via the media throughout that final year with the Twins didn't help either.

That said, he's had a terrific career! No one can dispute that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Yeah, I don't blame Hunter for leaving for the money. The Twins were wise not to give him that amount.

I stopped looking up to Hunter in 2005 when he hurt his ankle, and instead of staying with the team, he went home. Granted, he couldn't play or do much, but he could have stayed around and been the teammate and leader that many said he was... Instead, he comes back late in the season, sits on the bench, mocks Mauer and Morneau, throws a punch at Morneau, misses and hits Nick Punto... and then what did the leader do? Left the team again and went home.

That's where I stopped looking up to him. His advertising himself via the media throughout that final year with the Twins didn't help either.

That said, he's had a terrific career! No one can dispute that.
    I did not know those specific details. It seems like Tori Hunter is the dog (expletive) ultimate.
    Last edited by Seth Stohs; 06-21-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: we do have a policy that mentioned "vulgarity."

Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    He's doing the same thing this year with the Angels! I have already seen at least two reports where he'd mentioned being open to the possibility of returning to Minnesota as a free agent next year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glanzer View Post
    He's doing the same thing this year with the Angels! I have already seen at least two reports where he'd mentioned being open to the possibility of returning to Minnesota as a free agent next year.
    Part of that is exactly why a site like this exists. We live in a 24-hour news cycle. Hard to imagine, but outside of the local paper just 20-30 years ago, no one may have even realized Torii Hunter was about to be a free agent. The growth of ESPN and competing sports reporting on other 24-hour news channels along with the explosion of the internet and all it can provide for instant news and analysis means we get fed news stories constant, so a player who is about to be a free agent is asked incessantly about where he may go until the day he signs a new contract. You can only say "no comment" so many times.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 235 Posts
    There's a quota on the usage of "no comment?" Who knew!

I love Hunter, but I hope he doesn't come back for us next year. I don't want to sacrifice a prospect's playing time for a bit of nostalgia. It's a nice thought, but I would rather see Revere or Benson play.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Of 10,000 Beasts View Post
    I love Hunter, but I hope he doesn't come back for us next year. I don't want to sacrifice a prospect's playing time for a bit of nostalgia. It's a nice thought, but I would rather see Revere or Benson play.
    Agreed, and it would make particularly poor sense to trade Span (as many suggest) only to pick up Hunter in the offseason.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Agreed, and it would make particularly poor sense to trade Span (as many suggest) only to pick up Hunter in the offseason.
    The Twins wouldn't trade Span in order to create room for Hunter, they would most likely trade Span to improve in other areas such as obtaining a young high upside starting pitcher or middle infielder.

If the Twins have Span/Revere/Willingham and Doumit heading into next year then there is frankly no room for Hunter, however if one of them don't return (Span via trade or Doumit via trade/leave FA) then there is certainly some at bats for Hunter. Heck, a Span/Hunter/Revere OF with Willingham as DH isn't the worst thing in the world if you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The Twins wouldn't trade Span in order to create room for Hunter, they would most likely trade Span to improve in other areas such as obtaining a young high upside starting pitcher or middle infielder.

If the Twins have Span/Revere/Willingham and Doumit heading into next year then there is frankly no room for Hunter, however if one of them don't return (Span via trade or Doumit via trade/leave FA) then there is certainly some at bats for Hunter. Heck, a Span/Hunter/Revere OF with Willingham as DH isn't the worst thing in the world if you think about it.
    I didn't say "in order to" I did say "only to" ... there are many reasons why this would not make sense and you mention some yourself; we'd get a couple B prospects for Span only to lose a draft pick for picking up a on-the-decline-Hunter.

Yet, if they want Hunter to play right while keeping Span in center and Revere in left, while moving Hammer to DH, that would be best.

I didn't say "in order to" I did say "only to" ... there are many reasons why this would not make sense and you mention some yourself; we'd get a couple B prospects for Span only to lose a draft pick for picking up a on-the-decline-Hunter.

Yet, if they want Hunter to play right while keeping Span in center and Revere in left, while moving Hammer to DH, that would be best.
    Please define a "B" prospect for me? Because the fact is Span is a very solid CF with a nice bat and a very fair contract, I think we can do better than a couple B prospects (or at least what I consider a B prospect), I'm not saying the Twins need to trade Span, but if they can get back a high upside pitcher who has #2 stuff or so I think you need to seriously consider it, esp if said player has a few years of team control going on.

Also we wouldn't lose a draft pick for Hunter as the CBA has changed and even in the old CBA we wouldn't lose a pick I believe since we will most surely finish in the bottom half, in addition the only way the Angels would gain a pick would be to offer Hunter a qualifying offer which would be around 1year/13 million which I highly doubt they do.

Blog Entries

Happy belated B-Day Ultima Radio. I guess I would expect that Hunter will play a few more years, but who knows? With his sons serious legal/criminal problems maybe he will hang it up to focus on that aspect of his life. I do not expect that the Twins will sign him. T-Hunt can be a handful but if you add in his son's legal issues it seems like a match made in P.R. hell.

SVD:
    We may be able to get a A prospect for Span, I don't know but I'd hope so. I'm just pessimistic on our return for a trade of Span. My only point was that if we do indeed trade Span (for whatever), it would be silly to then bring in Hunter -- for as you say, he'd be more expensive and entering the twilight of his career when we have guys who need to play while the team is on the rebound. Now, if we turn this season around so that SP is all we need in the offseason and we actually get two nice FA SPs -- and can still go after a quality RF like Hunter, then great. I don't see it happening and would much rather have the money spent on him go towards SP. I still haven't' totally figured out how the new FA A/B status and gaining/losing draft picks works... still thinking the old way; but assuming is an A or B FA, we wouldn't give up a pick to take him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Happy belated B-Day Ultima Radio. I guess I would expect that Hunter will play a few more years, but who knows? With his sons serious legal/criminal problems maybe he will hang it up to focus on that aspect of his life. I do not expect that the Twins will sign him. T-Hunt can be a handful but if you add in his son's legal issues it seems like a match made in P.R. hell.
    Thanks Barks, you too! Agreed, I don't see how, and very little reason why we'd bring him back. He's made the bed he's slept in, as have we.

SVD:
    We may be able to get a A prospect for Span, I don't know but I'd hope so. I'm just pessimistic on our return for a trade of Span. My only point was that if we do indeed trade Span (for whatever), it would be silly to then bring in Hunter -- for as you say, he'd be more expensive and entering the twilight of his career when we have guys who need to play while the team is on the rebound. Now, if we turn this season around so that SP is all we need in the offseason and we actually get two nice FA SPs -- and can still go after a quality RF like Hunter, then great. I don't see it happening and would much rather have the money spent on him go towards SP. I still haven't' totally figured out how the new FA A/B status and gaining/losing draft picks works... still thinking the old way; but assuming is an A or B FA, we wouldn't give up a pick to take him?
    We wouldn't have to give up a pick to take him, for the Angels to even qualify for an extra pick they would have to offer him a one year/12-13 mil dollar deal (Qualifying offer) which they will not do, unless he starts suddenly hitting like an MVP and can figure out a way to shave 5 years off his legs

I get playing the youngsters, but at this point sadly I don't see a ton of Twins players in the minors being major league ready/knocking on the door very soon. Revere already has his spot as long as he keeps playing well obviously, and if there is an opening in the OF/DH heading into next year a guy like Hicks or Benson have quite a ways to go. For what its worth Benson is a complete and utter mess this year (prior to going on the DL I believe) he hit .176 (.584) at AAA with a 28% K rate, and has hit only .156 (.500 OPS) at AA so far. Needless to say Benson needs to show me quite a bit more before I even consider him a full time major leaguer at this point, ideally in the ideal Twins perfect he comes back strong from the injury and mashes forcing himself into the conversation, but if he isn't ready to be trusted in the majors by opening day 2013 and one of Span/Doumit is gone, you prob should take a look at bringing Hunter in on a 1 year deal.

He is having family issues, but its seems to not be a huge distraction as he was only gone a week and still remains effective and in good spirits (see: the Astronaut interview he did this week)

I'd just love to get Willinham to the DH, Revere to Left and a power-hitting RF who bats right handed. If we could get Hunter on a 9million/2 year deal, do it. But, I'd prefer out attention remain on FA SP. I'm also hoping the Mauer begins playing in RF next year. Agreed that many OF prospect have taken big steps back, thus I don't want to trade Span since Revere is doing just fine in RF at this point and now and it's back to Parmelee/Doumit/Mastro/Clete/other guy in RF if Revere moves to center to replace Span.

I'd just love to get Willinham to the DH, Revere to Left and a power-hitting RF who bats right handed. If we could get Hunter on a 9million/2 year deal, do it. But, I'd prefer out attention remain on FA SP. I'm also hoping the Mauer begins playing in RF next year. Agreed that many OF prospect have taken big steps back, thus I don't want to trade Span since Revere is doing just fine in RF at this point and now and it's back to Parmelee/Doumit/Mastro/Clete/other guy in RF if Revere moves to center to replace Span.
    Why do you want Mauer to be playing in RF next year?!? He has proven to be pretty effective/healthy overall behind the plate this year.
    A power hitting RF is nice in theory but who exactly do you bring in? Especially with leaving plenty of money left over to sign a bunch of SP like you suggest? Hunter is hardly a "power hitter" but has hit 20+ the past 9 of the last 10 seasons and is on pace to do so again this year. Not to mention he would mostly come pretty cheaply on a one year deal. 1 year 5/6 million would be my guess, and even if it was 1 year/7.5 million you have to remember that no one year deal is really that bad of a deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast