Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Liriano Rediscovers the Slider

Honestly, I wouldn't care if Liriano doesn't net much in a trade; at this point, it's probably best to give young, developing players the innings rather than starting a guy who hasn't "figured it out" in 5 years after his Tommy John. What are we hoping for anymore?

This reminds me of the Boof Bonser situation, quite frankly.
    Last edited by etspaceman; 06-22-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by etspaceman View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't care if Liriano doesn't net much in a trade; at this point, it's probably best to give young, developing players the innings rather than starting a guy who hasn't "figured it out" in 5 years after his Tommy John. What are we hoping for anymore?
    I think it has more to do with the rest of system having zero options than it does Liriano's ability to pitch. If you can sign Liriano for similar money to a Marquis-type junk pitcher, it might not be a bad idea (though I think someone out there will give Liriano more than that, especially if he keeps throwing well this season).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    This reminds me of the Boof Bonser situation, quite frankly.[/QUOTE]
    Bonser was more of a head case due to weight. Being heavy killed his endurance. He was ok as a rookie. After losing weight he lost something. Liriano pitched well when the games didn't count this year. The Twins being so far out the games don't count for much, Liriano is pitching better.

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    There are two options, really. Sign him now to an extension, or deal him before the deadline. I would choose the first option. If you don't sign him there really is no benefit to keeping him through the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by etspaceman
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    This reminds me of the Boof Bonser situation, quite frankly.
    Bonser was more of a head case due to weight. Being heavy killed his endurance. He was ok as a rookie. After losing weight he lost something. Liriano pitched well when the games didn't count this year. The Twins being so far out the games don't count for much, Liriano is pitching better.
    Bonser was a head-case because he couldn't control his fastball, much like Liriano.

And excuses like what you've just stated for Liriano were exactly what was being said about Bonser. He has an ERA over 5 and it seems like he hits a batter in every outing. He's been pretty solid lately in terms of runs, but his control still isn't there and I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip in his next few outings. It's been five years after his Tommy John; it's time to start realizing that his current state is what he is - an inconsistent, hard-throwing pitcher.

I do tend to agree that retaining him for a price of a Marquis or something is fine.
    Last edited by etspaceman; 06-22-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would keep Liriano on the basis of what he is doing now, or potential. However, somebody mentioned that he might not want to come back--that could be accurate. So he might need a change of scenery. But, if the Twins are looking for starting pitchers with good stuff, by keeping Liriano, and Gibson and Baker(Baker has a nice live arm) come back strong then we have three pitchers with solid ability. By adding Grienke we would have four quality arms. All big if's!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123