Thread: Who to watch for

Who to watch for

Hey guys, this is my first post although I have been lurking a bit on the forums recently. I am a Twins fan that lives in Richmond VA and I have the opportunity to see the New Briton Rock Cats play the Richmond Flying Squirrels for a 4 game series this weekend. I wanted to ask what players I should watch out for? I know there are some good outfielders, but are there any prospects that have a really high upside or really high chance of making it to the majors? Are there any pitchers worth trying to make it out to see?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Arcia
    Hicks

are allegedly the "top guys" on the prospect list.

ANY pitchers would be worth seeing, since ANYONE with a pulse and has success has a shot of making the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks, Benson & Arcia are all top OF prospects. Benson has been struggling and was demoted from AAA earlier this year; Hicks has been holding his own but not excelling. Arcia was just promoted from high-A so he may struggle a little adjusting to higher quality ball, but he should come around in time.

Top pitcher I would look for would be Hermsen - blew away the competition in Fort Myers, was promoted to New Britain, and has exceeded expectations at AA. Darnell is also a good prospect, but he has only been average this year.

New Britain in general is really slumping right now - they've lost 12 of their last 16 games. They were in first place for a while, but have now slipped to 3rd, 5 games back.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When in doubt, look at their birth dates and see who is youngest. If they are up at AA already at age 22 or so, somebody in the organization thinks they're pretty good, and up to age 24 they aren't really "getting a little old" for the league yet. In addition to Arcia and Hicks already mentioned, pitcher B.J. Hermsen seems to be up and coming.

(Edit: I was a little slow in typing, and I see that Hermsen has now already been mentioned, but I'll refrain from deleting since I think the age guidance may be useful to the original poster.)

Thanks for the tip on birth date. That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully they can stumble into some luck here in Richmond.