Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Reasons For Hope

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    JB-It appears you definitely have left the "glass half full" camp and are falling in amongst us in the "glass half empty and leaking rapidly" camp.

Welcome, I heart-wearily concur with your lack of optimism- the recent, pre-draft Strib "inside story" on the scouting department was the last nail in hope's coffin. This organization is suffering from a severe case of inbred paralysis of thought- run and staffed by yes men, beancounters and backslappers- and owned by a family that would rather make schlocky movies for tax write-offs and find novel new ways to squeeze the last drop of blood from a turnip- and the turnip truck it rode in on. If George Steinbrenner was the poster boy for an over-involved owner, surely the Pohlads are at the polar opposite- Ol' Carl would have been more thrilled to make a decent fortune on contraction than to winning a pennant . Surely there must be a potential local ownership group that could come in somewhere in-between the two extremes and make the necessary changes in this moribund club. This is a good-to-great baseball market and deserves better than the sclerotic status quo.
    Agree with the above statement--
    Terry Ryan knows what needs to be done. It is a matter of the Pohlads being willing to step up to the plate and sign some Free Agents(pitchers)---they, the family, chose to cut payroll after a 93 win season two seasons ago. Their history doesn't indicate an eagerness to take the next step. They probably are not even embarrassed by this team. A friend of mine just said," They field a triple AAA team, but charge major league prices".

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb18 View Post
    they, the family, chose to cut payroll after a 93 win season two seasons ago. Their history doesn't indicate an eagerness to take the next step. They probably are not even embarrassed by this team. A friend of mine just said," They field a triple AAA team, but charge major league prices".
    Payroll in 2011 was about $25M higher than 2010. I don't know why you keep saying it was lowered.

And your friend is not very original (or clever for that matter).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    And they won 94 games, not 93.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123