Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Spring Training Preview

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think your opening day roster is pretty much spot on assuming there are no injuries. As far as players to watch go, I would like to mention Chris Parmelee. I think it will be interesting to see if he can build on his September 2011 success with a solid spring, especially since we don't yet know what we are going to get out of Justin Morneau!

I agree with "TwinsGuy55422." I bet you're right on the OD roster, all other things being equal. The rest of the invitees, other than the deep prospects, look like AAAA guys to me. Good to have, but bad to have to rely on. Hopefully Rochester is better this summer, if only to make it up to the fans there. But the cupboard is still pretty bare if a starter goes down.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to see Towles on the bench rather than Butera, and I like the power Hughes has shown. That being said, if the lineup returns to 09/10 production, then the twins might make some noise. If it is any resemblance of last year, then we are in BIG BIG trouble.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
    For the first time in years, fans in Rochester may have a team worth watching! That opening day roster looks about right, and Rochester should be happy with the leftovers for a change. A good sign.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Good morning Nick and congratulations to all four of you for putting this coop site together.

Although I agree with your likely opening day 25, count me amongst a small minority who believes that Luke Hughes should be given the opportunity to prove that he deserves to be our everyday shortstop.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I think this is probably as accurate a prediction as you could have without trying to project for injuries. Which is too bad. I hate the idea that the Twins are going to roll with 12 pitchers again. Burnett (or Doyle) just won't pitch enough to make it worth keeping them on the active roster, IMHO. I would be much happier with an additional impact bat on the bench (Tosoni? Parmelee?), especially considering how many light hitters the Twins have in the lineup (Revere, Carroll, Casilla...god forbid, BUTERA).

Tosoni is my first choice. He should be capable of playing LF or RF, and it's time to see what he's got. Plouffe & Hughes are decent RH options, but wouldn't it be nice to have LH bat on the bench too? Parmelee has the better bat, I think, but time in Rochester working on his skills at 1B and playing every day is probably better for him right now, and will get him ready to be called up if (when? boo.) Morneau can't go.

I really don't want Butera as the backup. I'm frightened that Gardy will play him waaaay too much (especially if Morneau can't go and they have mauer at 1B more) and he just. can't. hit! His D is good, but it's not at the uber-elite level it would need to be to make him worth playing more than as a late-inning blowout replacement and a handful of starts. He has no value as a PH, which burns the roster more and the 25-man roster is tight to begin with. (Especially with the Twins being silly and carrying 12 pitchers) Rather see Towles get a shot; he at least has shown some hitting ability in the minors, even if he hasn't been able to translate it to the MLB level.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by TwinsGuy55422 View Post
    I think your opening day roster is pretty much spot on assuming there are no injuries. As far as players to watch go, I would like to mention Chris Parmelee. I think it will be interesting to see if he can build on his September 2011 success with a solid spring, especially since we don't yet know what we are going to get out of Justin Morneau!
    It would seem like the Twins will have plenty of options this Spring Training, and the problem I see is that if there are too many guys who have monster springs. If that happens, who do they choose? Your starting lineup seems really solid, and the rotation spots are all filled, so they really only have a few spots for the bullpen and bench players. Unfortunately, with his salary, Nishioka and his salary are best fitted for a bench position, because it seems like he needs seasoning down in the minors, which would be a big waste of his salary for a minor league position player. Hughes, unless he tanks the spring, will be going north as a bench player. I'd say that an interesting guy to watch would be Burroughs, because he seems like a genuine platoon player with Valencia, if he can turn it around. I could also see guys like Parmelee making a push to be brought north with big springs, and he could be a good backup when Morneau needs a day off.

As for the bullpen, I have been a Twins fan for years, and the last person that was invited to Spring Training that I hoped wouldn't make the roster was Jesse Crain when he was going through that rough patch when he couldn't get anyone out. This year, I really hope the Twins realize that Burnett, while he might have potential to some, hasn't shown any at all when he has been called up, so I think that if he doesn't do well enough, someone will take his spot. The four that you mentioned that are solid, I would agree with. I would also say that Terry Doyle looks like a Swarzak-like player, who stays in the bullpen, but is comfortable with making spot starts. Swarzak will also likely make the team, as he has proven that he is capable of handling the Major League workload. Therefore, it seems like the Twins have 3 bench spots open and at most three bullpen slots (I would count Zumaya as a question mark with his injury history).

Therefore, I would keep the same starting lineup and starting rotation, say that Perkins, Capps, Duensing, Doyle, and Swarzak are locks for the bullpen with Zumaya having the edge on one spot and any pitcher with a spring that is better than Burnett's. The bench is the haziest, but I see Hughes, most likely Nishioka and Plouffe, and Butera. I am crossing my fingers that a position player has a monster spring so that he could supplant Nishi or Plouffe as a legit power threat for this bench, otherwise the Twins will continue to have one of the weakest benches, comparatively in power threats, in the Majors.

I'm kind of surprised at how many people got invited to spring training. I don't think there's much legitimate question who will make the 25 man roster this season. As long as there are no injuries that will result in one of those guys listed on Nick's projected roster, I'll be surprised if that isn't accurate. I think the only real chance that it differs is with the final two bullpen spots, and even then, I would be surprised if Burnett at least didn't get one of them.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Here is what LaVelle blogged this morning

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...139829093.html

i wonder what Rick Andersons shoe bill will be by the end of the season with all the trips to the mound hes going to have to make!