Thread: Article: 2012 Thoughts of a Minor Leaguer: A brief intro - Tony Davis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 2012 Thoughts of a Minor Leaguer: A brief intro - Tony Davis

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great background and insight, Tony. Thanks so much for sharing. Looking forward to more!

Great stuff!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks

Thanks to you both, and Congrats on the new site Parker. Looks awesome and i'm excited about being a small part of it!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's great, Tony!! Letting us live vicariously through your experiences as a minor leaguer!! It should be fun to follow the season with you!

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like your attitude Tony.

Was there any apprehension about the surgery you talked about? It seems kind of goofy - not the sort of thing that any person who wasn't a pitcher would ever really need to deal with. Were there any other options? Did you ever seriously consider not doing it?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Great Question

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I like your attitude Tony.

Was there any apprehension about the surgery you talked about? It seems kind of goofy - not the sort of thing that any person who wasn't a pitcher would ever really need to deal with. Were there any other options? Did you ever seriously consider not doing it?

I absolutely thought about not getting the surgery. However every time I would feel this tingling sensation, it would be followed by weeks of soreness in that area. It wasn't an everyday thing that I had to deal with. It was more of something where I’d be feeling great, then out of the blue feel this numbness and tingling. That would then be followed by being shut down for several weeks until everything settled back down.

Most people don’t know, but this happened in the last week of the 2010 season when I was in New Britain. After the season ended it began feeling better and felt great all off-season. Spring training rolled around and it felt awesome, but with about a week left to go in camp, it happened again. Once I spent about a month rehabbing it then, I went to NB for about 30 innings, before it happened for the 3rd time.

The Doc in NB was very confident in what the problem was, and said surgery would be a sure way to get rid of it. Being hesitant, I remember asking if there were any other alternatives, and he replied “well if your girlfriend cheats on you 3 times, don’t you think she’s going to do it a 4th?” Putting a scary situation in a humorous light definitely helped me see things differently. I know I want to pitch for as many years as I can and I didn’t want to have to deal with this nagging nerve. The only other catch was the Doc couldn’t see my ligament (Tommy John) clearly enough in the MRI, and asked for my consent before the surgery to perform that while I was still under if necessary. Essentially he was going to “scope” my ligament and decide from there. So basically, there was a chance when I came to after my ulnar never transposition, that I would have also just gotten Tommy John. I guess you could say I almost Sh*t my pants. However, after some encouragement from family and time to think about it, I figured it is what it is and at least at the end of the day, I’m getting fixed and I will move on from this.

So, in going back to your original question, if I was not a pitcher I guess there would have been no immediate reason for me to get this done. But for me after all the facts were laid out in front of me, it became a much easier and clearer decision. It really is a weird “injury”, and I am just so thankful it wasn’t something more serious.

Great post, Tony. I'm looking forward to reading more. Best of luck for a great season!

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for writing, Tony! It will be fun following your blog through the season. Best wishes!

Post Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Great background and insight, Tony. Thanks so much for sharing. Looking forward to more!
    Tony, great job! I love the reference to mine and your dad. Looking forward to many more reads and a great season for you and the boys! Uncle Al

This is great! I look forward to following you this season!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Nice start Tony, I'm really looking forward to your blog.