Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pirates as a trade partner for Twins

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    The Twins traded Wilson Ramos, their number one prospect at the time, never say never, if teams think they can make a run at the playoffs, who knows what they'll trade??
    He means in the entire draft, not the teams prospect list. And Ramos was never the Twins #1 prospect.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there going to be a better right-handed bat available at the trade deadline than Willingham? Quentin is the name I keep hearing, but if you include his contract and health, I'd choose Willingham. Especially if I was a mid-market team like the Pirates.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Is there going to be a better right-handed bat available at the trade deadline than Willingham? Quentin is the name I keep hearing, but if you include his contract and health, I'd choose Willingham. Especially if I was a mid-market team like the Pirates.
    The Pirates had a chance to sign Willingham during the offseason just like everyone else. He drew very little interest. Are we really convinced that three months of good performance will suddenly have teams clamoring to give up a great prospect for his contract? Especially an NL team that won't be able to slide him to DH within the next couple years? (Frankly, he should probably be there already.)

Moreover, when have the Twins (or any team) ever traded a guy during the first year of a three-year deal when he was performing well? I can't think of any precedent for it.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 748 Times in 417 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Willingham should probably be shopped but I don't think teams will be falling over themselves to give up much for him nor do I think the Twins are that keen on trading him (and I can't blame them).

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    The Pirates had a chance to sign Willingham during the offseason just like everyone else. He drew very little interest. Are we really convinced that three months of good performance will suddenly have teams clamoring to give up a great prospect for his contract? Especially an NL team that won't be able to slide him to DH within the next couple years? (Frankly, he should probably be there already.)

Moreover, when have the Twins (or any team) ever traded a guy during the first year of a three-year deal when he was performing well? I can't think of any precedent for it.
    I keep hearing this argument - anyone could have signed Willingham - and I think it's flawed. It's interesting, to be sure, that a guy's value can change in 3 months, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It's about supply and demand. Other teams can argue all they want about what they could have signed last December. The question remains: who is better (or at least comparable) and available right now? If the answer is nobody, then he's valuable to any number of teams, and it doesn't matter much what they should have done six months ago. When multiple teams want a singular guy, he's worth whatever the most desperate of them is willing to pay.

As for the 2nd part, I can't remember it either. I also can't rmember that many guys with 3 year deals period, and I can't remember any who were this valuable and where the team was clearly rebuilding. I'm not saying the Twins are in any hurry to move him. But unless they thing they're going to be competetive in the next couple years (and I think even they would tell you that's a longshot), he's not untouchable.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with John, i think its a bit flawed to think Willingham is much less likely to get traded this year than say any of the next 2 years at the Trade deadline.

Willingham simply put, this year should amount to getting one of the following:

1. B+ / A- prospect

2. 2 B / B- prospects
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12