Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: The Road Ahead for the 2012 Minnesota Twins

Article: The Road Ahead for the 2012 Minnesota Twins

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,200 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [T]he Twins have a tough road ahead of them, but it’s not impossible by any means. Just look at the 2011 collapse of the Boston Red Sox and Atlanta Braves.

Yeah, if other teams can collapse, so can the Twins... win the pennant. I see it now.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a glass 3/4 full kind of article. Love the optimism, I unfortunatly tend to the more pessimistic side this year and next and maybe next. It all starts with pitching and we don't have the horses to pull this cart right now. But yes, anything can happen this year.

ashburyjohn- I'm not saying the Twins can win the pennant. I'm saying that they can compete in the AL Central because it lacks a dominant team. If they were in any other division I wouldn't have written this article but considering the White Sox lead the Central with a 35-31 record it's not as insane of a thought. I don't expect it to happen, I expect them to fight with the Royals for the worst record in Central, but you never know.

MWLFan- I usually am pessimistic but thought I'd give optimism a try for once. The pessimism will return at some point I am sure.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,200 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awstafki View Post
    ashburyjohn- I'm not saying the Twins can win the pennant.
    Doesn't sound like you're even saying they can win the division, merely "compete". That lowers the bar a second time, to a level that for me loses almost all its meaning. Sure, "you never know", but if everything in the world is random what do you really have?

You started the article with an observation about the trading deadline. You didn't really come back to that, but the rest of the article seems to lead to the conclusion that the Twins should not be sellers when the time comes. Was that your point? That the team with the worst AL record can't pull the trigger on trades because a magical season might still be in the works? I don't know of a big enough supply of pixie dust to allow for that.

The point was just giving an alternate perspective on the rest of the season. I personally believe that they should pull the trigger on trades that will improve the future of their team. I was just trying to grasp at some sort of optimism and from an optimistic perspective, the Twins should wait until the deadline and see where they sit at that time.

Again, I'm with you in that I don't believe this will happen. I just wanted to look at things from a different lense is all.
    Last edited by awstafki; 06-18-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed the article. It is well reasoned and well written. But I am not drinking the kool-aid if this means not making some wise trades to get good prospects, especially starters.