Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Twins trade rumors

  1. #1

    Twins trade rumors

    With about a month and a half left until the trade deadline, this thread is for trade rumors and speculation. Who do you want to see shipped out? For who? mlbtraderumors.com has good articles about potential trades. I read the Blue Jays have interest in Morneau. Also, would not be surprised to see Span traded to a team with starting pitching available.

  2. #2
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,434
    Like
    179
    Liked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Doumit, Capps and perhaps Burton could be available.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,247
    Like
    261
    Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  4. #4
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,533
    Like
    2,543
    Liked 3,157 Times in 1,680 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Ryan said,"We need pitching, and we need it bad."

    No, they need it good, and they need it badly.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Posts
    1,254
    Like
    77
    Liked 306 Times in 149 Posts
    Imo, you listen on any player on the roster. If you can help the team long term it needs to be done. Willingham and Span you say make me an offer I can't refuse and you don't trade these guys for relief pitchers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Double-A PMKI's Avatar
    Posts
    128
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Imo, you listen on any player on the roster. If you can help the team long term it needs to be done. Willingham and Span you say make me an offer I can't refuse and you don't trade these guys for relief pitchers.
    Agreed with everything. If the Twins top prospects after the trade deadline doesn't look different I will be very disappointed.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    581
    Like
    20
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    In less there is a blow away offer, Willingham is going nowhere.. The Twins will need a watchable product next year, also Trading a Player who has just signed as a Free Age will not look good to future Free Agents.
    Trading Burton would not make any sense. Cheap and under Team control for next Season. Next years Bullpen will need a couple of Veterans to go along with the kids.
    Last edited by Highabove; 06-18-2012 at 12:14 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    150
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great that Terry recognizes that we need pitching....but it must be effective pitching or nothing will improve....I'm at the point where I don't care who they trade to get it, just get it. I'm sick of my team being cellar dwellers....

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    I guess my question is who is going to give us ready-to-go starting pitching? While the Twin's situation is worse than most, nobody has as much starting pitching as they like, and everybody is looking for the hot new prospect who is a guaranteed go-to starter in a year or two. And if we're going to trade away a Morneau or a Willingham or a Span, that's what we need in return - somebody who is a good bet to be ready in at most 18 months. We don't need some hotshot in A-ball who may end up fizzling anyway.

    I hate to say it, but the best way out of our pitching quandry is hope some of the talent we have in the system develops well, maybe get 1-2 mid-level starters (we'll never get an ace) in free agency, utilize the rule 5 draft effectively, and continue to stock younger arms through the amateur draft.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    157
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    In less there is a blow away offer, Willingham is going nowhere.. The Twins will need a watchable product next year, also Trading a Player who has just signed as a Free Age will not look good to future Free Agents.
    Trading Burton would not make any sense. Cheap and under Team control for next Season. Next years Bullpen will need a couple of Veterans to go along with the kids.
    Let's hope they get a blow away offer....

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,527
    Like
    59
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    As good as Willingham has been, he doesn't and won't put fans in the seats. As far a marketing goes, he is neither tenured long enough as a Twins nor offensively prolific enough to bring people to the stadium; he is expendable from that standpoint. If Ryan believes the Twins can contend during the last two years of Willingham's contract than he can be hesitant about moving him as misguided as the notion of contending might be. My stratagy would be to start putting out the idea that Willingham is a more consistant and healthier Carlos Quentin seeing as CQ has been the big outfield name on the market. If you can't get a terrific desperation offer, try the move again next year.

  12. #12
    Morneau has concussion history--he wont bring an offer Twins cant refuse. The only 2 Twns who can are Span and Willingham--trade one if you get a good number 2/3 starter (like Gio or Jordan Zimmerman of Nats) and a pitching prospect doing well in AAA. With Harper I doubt Span is of interest to Nats...maybe elsewhere. Trading others--Carroll, Plouffe, Morneau wont bring either a top notch prospect or #2 starter...Twins need a second reliable starter for 2013 to go along with Diamond. Thats what they should be trading for.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,527
    Like
    59
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Morneau has concussion history--he wont bring an offer Twins cant refuse. The only 2 Twns who can are Span and Willingham--trade one if you get a good number 2/3 starter (like Gio or Jordan Zimmerman of Nats) and a pitching prospect doing well in AAA. With Harper I doubt Span is of interest to Nats...maybe elsewhere. Trading others--Carroll, Plouffe, Morneau wont bring either a top notch prospect or #2 starter...Twins need a second reliable starter for 2013 to go along with Diamond. Thats what they should be trading for.
    I think the Nats view Harper as a future corner infield, and I think the Span speculation has more to do with their lack of top of the order bats. Their leadoff hitters have a .308 OBP this year, they are going to want an upgrade for any kind of meaningful playoff run.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Double-A PMKI's Avatar
    Posts
    128
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Any chance we can get a guy like Alex Meyer from the Nats from Span or is that too high of a prospect? Where in most organizations would the prospects rank that we should expect to receive for Span, Morneau, Capps, Willingham, or whoever else?

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    Any chance we can get a guy like Alex Meyer from the Nats from Span or is that too high of a prospect? Where in most organizations would the prospects rank that we should expect to receive for Span, Morneau, Capps, Willingham, or whoever else?
    Puckett's Pond had a great post about some prospects the Twins may want. http://puckettspond.com/2012/06/17/1...ns-might-want/

    Toronto looks like a great trade partner because they have Syndergaard, Sanchez, and Nicolino. I'd hope that the Twins could get 2 out of the 3 and a low prospect if they eat some of Morneau's contract.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 06-18-2012 at 04:38 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    The Twins really only need to build a core that is essentially untouchable (unless they are blown away which is unlikely).
    Right now I think that group is Mauer, Diamond, Burnett, Plouffe, Dozier, and Revere. Nearly everyone else becomes expendable for a reasonable price. I think we have two groups of trade bait. One is "As Good as Gone" and the other is "Moveable". The Difference is that the AGAG absolutely NEED to be traded, while Moveable pieces still could be part of the Twins future and would need to pried away.
    AGAG: Doumit, Carroll, Span, Burton, Capps, Swarzak, Liriano, and Pavano (If anyone wants him)
    Moveable: Morneau, Perkins, Duensing, and Willingham

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would actually put Carroll into the "Moveable" category, simply because they are still weak in the middle IF, and shouldn't move him unit they have a solid third guy besides Casilla and Dozier in the middle.

    I would also consider Perkins and Burton as part of the "core" rather than Burnett. They have both shown flashes of brilliance, and both could rack up a lot of holds and saves if the rest of the team handed them the lead in the 8th more often. They aren't as young as Burnett, but I don't know that youth is nesc. as valuable in a relief pitcher as it is in other positions.

    Willingham is another one I would add to your "core" group, simply because I think we benefit from having a guy older than 25 in the OF mix, just to help be mentor and an example to the young kids. I think we're going to have a veteran one way or the other, and I'd rather it be willingham than a rent-a-wreck guy like Rondell White

  18. #18
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    719
    Like
    26
    Liked 47 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9

    trade idea

    I am going to go with Joe Sanders for Burnett (Guerra or Oliveras, or Slama) and Benson or Tosoni, sign Sanders to a 2 year 12-15 million extention and we have another "Twins pitcher who can be a reliable 3-4-5 starter with good control and 200 innings. Basically 2 usable prospects that can somewhat contribute, Benson may be a bit much...

    Guthrie is available too. I doubt he would cost much either.

  19. #19
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,474 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    I would also consider Perkins and Burton as part of the "core" rather than Burnett. They have both shown flashes of brilliance, and both could rack up a lot of holds and saves if the rest of the team handed them the lead in the 8th more often.
    As annoying as it is, I'm pretty sure the front office is going to deal Capps (yay!) and slot Perkins into the closer role next season. I'm down with retaining Perkins but I'm not down with giving a lefty the ninth inning... Or anyone the ninth inning, really. It's so much more efficient to use your best bullpen guys when they're needed most and that's usually not the ninth inning. Plus, if you don't declare a "closer", you don't have to pay anyone on the roster "closer" money.

  20. #20
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,026
    Like
    1,741
    Liked 1,203 Times in 480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    As annoying as it is, I'm pretty sure the front office is going to deal Capps (yay!) and slot Perkins into the closer role next season.
    Look out 3-run leads with the bases empty, your time is done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.