Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Hendriks up, Oliveros down

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hendriks up, Oliveros down

Morneau's arm soreness complicated this decision, in my opinion.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Short lived appearance for Oliveros. That's unfortunate as I think he could outperform a few people in the bullpen as of now. Oh well, he'll likely be back when the Twins trade Capps and possibly Burton. Or they could finally come to their sense with Jeff Gray too. There are certainly plenty of scenarios where he could return.

they just cannot part with Jeff Gray can they? Cannot take this organization seriously as long as they keep him

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I don't get why it is so important to keep bad veterans up here, and not bring up guys from the minors.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't get why it is so important to keep bad veterans up here, and not bring up guys from the minors.
    My Guess is because no one seems to want to take the AL Central by the horns. The Twins may have the worst record in the American League but they are only 8.5 games back. It's a bad place to be... Cuz you get kinda stuck trying to decide firmly what direction to go.

If we are in it... You need arms and you only cut arms if they are Marquis awful. If we are NOT in it... You need better arms for the future and you can afford to roll the dice with the kids. Until we are out of it officially. Gray is the guy and Oliveros, Guerra and Slama are the back up options.

It would pre-mature to show Gray the door. No matter what Gray is... The Twins while not overwhelmed... most likely... They are at least comfortable with what he has given the Twins this year. Toss him aside now and you end up replacing him with an unknown quantity. If that unknown quantity doesn't work out. You can start a revolving door at a time when you are just trying to get back in this thing. Not to mention that injuries are bound to happen down the line and those Rochester bull-penners will be needed for when that happens.

If the White Sox, Indians or Tigers get real hot or the Twins go real flat again. If the distance between the Twins and 1st place in the Central increases... Gray will be out and the kids will come up.

Either way... The best thing for the Twins is to either be clearly in this thing or clearly out. This Pearly Gates (Dave St. Peter right?), Purgatory, no man's land thing will kinda freeze ya.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Bah, they aren't in it and won't be in this year. If the front office is once again delusional, as they were last year, they should all be fired. This team isn't competing for anything with that starting rotation. The sooner they get into rebuilding mode the better. I don't really care about the Gray vs. Oliveros decision, but I do care if the Twins really think they can get back in this.

Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    Bah, they aren't in it and won't be in this year. If the front office is once again delusional, as they were last year, they should all be fired. This team isn't competing for anything with that starting rotation. The sooner they get into rebuilding mode the better. I don't really care about the Gray vs. Oliveros decision, but I do care if the Twins really think they can get back in this.
    I agree... The Pitching just isn't good enough... Pulling it off with the Starting Pitching we have... (not just the majors but AAA and AA) is the longest of longshots in my mind

However, on paper... 8.5 games is not out of it. Hard to tell your team to fight on while you pull the troops back behind them. That's why 8.5 back and the worst record in the American League is about the worst position you can be in.

Also goes to Deolis Guerra. He is out of options next yr & must stay on the roster from their out, so why not get him some time to get accustomed....at least this yr, you can re-option him if he's hit hard.