Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Blue Jays Interested in Morneau (or Willingham?)

Report: Blue Jays Interested in Morneau (or Willingham?)

From Rotoworld, via CBS Sports. This is the first "real" rumor of this kind I had heard:

Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that the Blue Jays are "particularly interested" in Justin Morneau, but so far the Twins don't seem interested in trading him.
    Knobler also notes that teams are wondering whether the Twins would be willing to deal Josh Willingham, but at this point it doesn't appear they're ready to part with either player. Morneau has hit 10 homers and driven in 33 this season, and he holds extra appeal to the Jays because he's Canadian. But, he's also batting just .241 with a .313 OBP, and teams still have his previous concussion issues in the back of their minds. The Twins might just be better off keeping him and his $14 million salary for next season. Jun 15

Man, I don't know. They certainly don't have to trade Willingham NOW. It's too early to move either guy, and the fanbase would probably murder them for trading either in this position. But at what point does that change? I have 100% faith that Morneau still has value to give. I have closer to 0% faith that he's ever going to play a 130-game season without hiding significant injuries that destroy his productivity. He wasn't really capable of that in the seasons leading up to 2010.
    Last edited by StormJH1; 06-15-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would say now is not the time to trade either guy. Let contending teams become more and more desperate toward the deadline and drive up the value of our assets. I am pleased that Morneau has been more productive this year, but I don't think we should let that dissuade us from making a trade if we get a great offer.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

i agree with twinsguy. i don't think it is time to move them yet, but i don't think anyone should have a problem with moving either or both of them at the deadline to a desperate team.

I would hate to see Morneau go. But, with Willingham being 33 and his value being so high, it would make sense to try and turn a profit on him. I know he has been a huge source of power and the Twins aren't necessarily dead yet, but the Twins have to think a little ahead don't they? Sure they'd miss his bat this year, but he can't keep this up at his age. A contender would definitely overpay for him (I hope).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    I guess it depends on what the offer is. Does anybody know what the Blue Jays could offer? I would hate to see Morneau or Willingham for so-so prospects. But if they have a couple of pitchers in AA that are really good...

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Who's the right-handed masher you replace Willingham with? With such a team-friendly contract, I don't see the Twins moving Willingham, either this year or next. I think they'd give some thought to moving Morneau, but they would be correct in waiting for a very nice package of prospects. That may not be forthcoming with all of the injury question marks surrounding Morneau, in which case the Twins are likely better off keeping him.

Liked 140 Times in 87 Posts
    I would disagree that Morneau wasn't capable of playing more than 130 games leading up to 2010. He was actually very durable for a good long while. Look at the numbers of games he played:
    2005: 141
    2006: 157
    2007: 157
    2008: 163
    2009: 135 (this is where you could say he started to "break down" as he missed most of September).

Yes, I know, 2010 and 2011 were bad. But it looks like the concussion symptoms are gone. I don't really think 130 games is much of a stretch for him any more.

Anyway, I don't think it is the time to trade him yet. They should wait until closer to the deadline to maximize the return and even then, they should make sure it is a pretty good deal.

As for Willingham, I think you would have to be crazy to deal for him, unless you got some monstrous deal, which I don't really see happening.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 140 Times in 87 Posts
    Oh, and there was also a quote from an unnamed exec:“Alex calls about everyone."
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Willingham is going nowhere. The Twins still have to put out a good product next year.

It's also bad form to sign a Free Agent to a multiyear deal and trade him soon after. This may affect free agents wanting to come here in the future.

But again, if we follow in the path of the KC Royals as many folks want to do, it won't matter
    Last edited by Highabove; 06-15-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I understand the appeal to keeping Morneau and hoping he regains his form and stays injury-free, I think if they can get something decent in return, and if they can offload his salary, then it is a no-brainer - make the deal. He's had spurts of effectiveness this year, but look at how he's faring against lefties. He's not the same player as pre-2010. Will he get there again? Maybe. But do we really want to spend another $20M to find out? At this point he is NOT irreplaceable. JMO.

As far as Willingham, he stays unless they offer a starting pitching prospect who is a good bet to be on the big league roster this or next year.

Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    From Rotoworld, via CBS Sports. This is the first "real" rumor of this kind I had heard:

Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that the Blue Jays are "particularly interested" in Justin Morneau, but so far the Twins don't seem interested in trading him.
    Knobler also notes that teams are wondering whether the Twins would be willing to deal Josh Willingham, but at this point it doesn't appear they're ready to part with either player. Morneau has hit 10 homers and driven in 33 this season, and he holds extra appeal to the Jays because he's Canadian. But, he's also batting just .241 with a .313 OBP, and teams still have his previous concussion issues in the back of their minds. The Twins might just be better off keeping him and his $14 million salary for next season. Jun 15

Man, I don't know. They certainly don't have to trade Willingham NOW. It's too early to move either guy, and the fanbase would probably murder them for trading either in this position. But at what point does that change? I have 100% faith that Morneau still has value to give. I have closer to 0% faith that he's ever going to play a 130-game season without hiding significant injuries that destroy his productivity. He wasn't really capable of that in the seasons leading up to 2010.
    You mean the position of the worst record in the AL

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is little point to the Twins trading Morneau unless they have their eyes on a big FA acquisition this offseason *snorts*.

His value is virtually nothing right now. It will do one of two things: bottom out completely (another injury/concussion) or it will rise drastically (continues posting an .850 or better OPS for an entire season). With that in mind, hold on to him until at least the offseason unless someone comes at you with a ridiculous offer.

On the other hand, if you think you can't compete this year or next, offload Josh Willingham at the deadline. It's doubtful his value will be any higher than it is right now. If nobody bites, keep him. No loss there.

It all depends on the return. Technically anyone on our roster is "for sale" it just depends on what the other team is willing to depart with. I don't know their prospects too well, anyone have any guesses as to who we could get back?

again, dont give him away ....... but if there is a legit offer---pull the trigger.
    Personally, hope to wait for 6wks as his value (provin his health is good) could be the highes then

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins can pluck someone like Joel Carreño or Brett Cecil plus another prospect from the Jays, I think it is close to a no-brainer.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As much as I like Willingham and think he's perfect for Target Field, he is 33 (as has been pointed out) and he hasn't played more than 140 games in a year since 2007. (He averages 122 games/year over the last four seasons.) So even though his back has held up so far (and it's not the ticking time-bomb that Joe Crede's was), it's more likely than not that he'll have something nagging pop up at some point this season. Not that I consider that the reason to trade Willingham, but something to consider. (Just like teams consider Morneau's injury history when his name comes up.)

On the other side of that coin, the Blue Jays would make a good (if not great) trade partner. If the Twins could two of these four guys for Willingham (or Morneau), I would have to consider it. (I've included where each guy would have ranked on BA's pre-season Twins prospect list using their grades.)

LHP Aaron Sanchez (LoA, 6-0, 1.09 WHIP, #2)
    LHP Justin Nicolino (LoA, 2-0, 1.00, #2)
    RHP Noah Syndergaard (LoA, 3-2, 1.35, #2)
    RHP Asher Wojciechowski (HiA, 3-2, 1.31, #3-6)

TOR is Baseball America's 5th rated farm system but C Travis D'Arnaud is their #1 ( I am adamit about keeping Mauer behind the plate).
    Id be interested in their #3 guy....OF Jake Marisnick

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I would disagree that Morneau wasn't capable of playing more than 130 games leading up to 2010. He was actually very durable for a good long while. Look at the numbers of games he played:
    2005: 141
    2006: 157
    2007: 157
    2008: 163
    2009: 135 (this is where you could say he started to "break down" as he missed most of September).

Yes, I know, 2010 and 2011 were bad. But it looks like the concussion symptoms are gone. I don't really think 130 games is much of a stretch for him any more.

Anyway, I don't think it is the time to trade him yet. They should wait until closer to the deadline to maximize the return and even then, they should make sure it is a pretty good deal.

As for Willingham, I think you would have to be crazy to deal for him, unless you got some monstrous deal, which I don't really see happening.
    That's true about Morneau, but he also clearly SHOULD HAVE been rested more often during those years, because his Septembers were TERRIBLE most years.

Not sure on trading Morneau, as his value is not that high right now given his contract.

Although it's painful to do, selling high is the smart approach. Capps, Willingham and Span will never have higher trade value that they will have just before the trade deadline. The twins aren't doing anything this year or next, and 2014 isn't looking great either. I'd like to see the twins become clear sellers this year, stocking up on 20-22 year olds, so they can all arrive together in 2015 or so. With the $ off the books, sign a lot of free agents next year to one or 2 year deals. When the trade deadline comes, trade them away again for more prospects. I don't think anyone goes to games to see Willingham, he's productive yet somehow not that entertaining, strange but true. So much more fun to watch Thome hit a home run than Willingham, I don't know why that is but it's true. I'd say that Revere would put nearly as many fans in the seats as Willingham, he flys all over the place doing crazy stuff.

Bummer that Joe Benson's having a terrible year, if he was raking at AAA they could get a haul trading both Span and Willingham and go with Benson Revere and Doumit in the OF.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Depends on what you could get. Could they get a package that includes Snider, Lind and a guy like Snydergard who's sowing well in high A for Mourneau and ??. Toronto has obviously soured on Lind and Snider and they would both fill a need with the Twins and cost considerably less than Mourneau. Snyergard is a highly regarded prospect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast