Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Dusty Baker has pitcher throw 'at' Derek Lowe for 3-year-old incident? Come on...

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts

Dusty Baker has pitcher throw 'at' Derek Lowe for 3-year-old incident? Come on...

From ESPN:

Baker acknowledged having Latos throw inside to Lowe, but said it didn't involve any personal issue between the two of them. Rather, it was retaliation for Lowe hitting Joey Votto in the back during a game in 2009 at Great American Ball Park, when Lowe was with Atlanta. Players from both teams were hit during that series.

I've never been a fan of purposely hitting batters except under rare circumstances, but holding onto, and acting on a 3-year-old grudge? That's insane. You either hit someone the next time you play them, or you leave it be. I find this silly, petty, and embarrassing. Thoughts?
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    It's a sad commentary on the lack of maturity on display not only in sports, but politics and society in general.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It wouldn't surprise me to find that Baker still thinks it's 2003 and pencils in Mark Prior as his starting pitcher every other day. I can't fault him for forgetting to retaliate for a year or two. Most days, he's just happy that JT saved his kid from getting bowled over at the plate last October.
    Last edited by Brock Beauchamp; 06-14-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    From ESPN:

Baker acknowledged having Latos throw inside to Lowe, but said it didn't involve any personal issue between the two of them. Rather, it was retaliation for Lowe hitting Joey Votto in the back during a game in 2009 at Great American Ball Park, when Lowe was with Atlanta. Players from both teams were hit during that series.

I've never been a fan of purposely hitting batters except under rare circumstances, but holding onto, and acting on a 3-year-old grudge? That's insane. You either hit someone the next time you play them, or you leave it be. I find this silly, petty, and embarrassing. Thoughts?
    I see that Dusty Baker is still has no clue as to how to manage a pitching staff. For retaliation he pitches inside, rather than hit the guy?!

Also, Baker had three other opportunities to pitch at Lowe after the Votto incident (April 25, 2009) including a game on Sept. 4, 2009. Why wait 3 years?
    Last edited by powrwrap; 06-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."