Blog Entries

Article: Twins looking toward international market

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 186 Times in 114 Posts
    How old is Torrens?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,178 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Am I correct in thinking that both these players are just over 16 years old? While it's exciting to get a talent like Sano, it's also something of a commitment to making a potentially difficult decision a few years down the road if the player turns out to have a somewhat lower ceiling. I forget how many years these younger players can remain off the 40-man roster, but at an age of something like 21 or 22 you can be in the position of deciding whether a player, who is younger than some of the college guys you are about to draft, will ever make it or not. Too many of these and your 40-man can become a little clogged with players who are not close to making a contribution to the major league club, and this can limit your maneuverability for trades or for callups. Or, the alternative becomes that you invest 5 years or so into a youngster and then wind up cutting him anyway, only to see him develop eventually into someone's fourth outfielder or useful relief pitcher, or even better.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 06-14-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    I don't understand how this stuff works. Outside of the US and PR, is it a free for all? If that is the case, with teams like the Yankees in this world, how do the Twins have a chance at these players?

I love how the video for Torrens calls him "El Chamo de Oro." The kid of gold.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Torrens turned 16 a little over a month ago.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,178 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP View Post
    Golden Boy?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3B Torrens, Luis 5/2/95
    SS Minier, Amaurys 1/30/96

I took it as a literal translation.
    SIGN ALL OF THEM

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand how this stuff works. Outside of the US and PR, is it a free for all? If that is the case, with teams like the Yankees in this world, how do the Twins have a chance at these players?
    Players that turned 16 years old before July 1, can be signed after July 1. (yes, from countries that are not US, Canada and PR) With the new CBA, all teams will have the same maximum that they can spend internationally.

The international stuff really seems to be coming into its own as a crucial part of scouting.

So here's a question -- maybe it's been asked before and maybe not: If Miguel Sano had been Rule 4 draft-eligible in 2012, or 2011 (let's just say he was from Chicago, for instance), what kind of round selection would he have been? Tough to say, I imagine, but I'm just curious what some of you more "in the know" than I am would guess.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts

Teams can only spend $2.9M on their international signings. Money shouldn't be a factor for any team any more when it comes to signing international players. If there is potential superstar, it should now come down to whether a club thinks the player is special enough that they are willing to spend their entire budget on one guy. Even before this budget though, a $10k bonus would get most international players. Only a handfull of the very high profile kids were getting seven figures.

This does exclude the Asian markets, or Japan at the very least. Those guys can still come over here and demand big money.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Seth and Nick, thank you for the explanation. Thank god there is a financially even playing field somewhere.

A couple of other interesting points that I have seen:

1) Next year and going forward, the international cap will be adjusted for winning percentage the previous season. The article I saw said that the worst teams will be allowed to spend ~$5M while the best teams get to spend ~$1.8M.

2) Starting in 2013-2014, teams will be able to trade their international spending cap space, but only an additional 50% of their cap.

Jeff

Ok, someone educate me. How does Jorge Soler get $30M over 9 years from the Cubs if there's a cap set at $2.9M for international players?

Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    Ok, someone educate me. How does Jorge Soler get $30M over 9 years from the Cubs if there's a cap set at $2.9M for international players?
    I believe its because he was eligible to sign before July 1st and did sign before July 1st, meaning he falls under the old rules.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BA has a new article (subscription required) that profiles Venezuela, where the Twins have had recent success with both Wilson Ramos and Oswaldo Arcia. The article, however, links specifically the Twins to Dominican shortstop Amaurys Minier.

Stopping short of calling the Twins "favorites", it says they're showing "heavy interest". In a Sano-esque way, whoever gets Minier is getting him for his bat (he's a switch-hitter, but better from his left side), who will move "quickly" to third base, but may end up at first or in an outfield corner. Sound familiar?

Minier's bonus - if the Twins are to sign him - will probably require between half to two-thirds of the cap. My take: the Twins still regret letting Miguel Cabrera slip out of their grasp and will pay to get Minier.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,487 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    So here's a question -- maybe it's been asked before and maybe not: If Miguel Sano had been Rule 4 draft-eligible in 2012, or 2011 (let's just say he was from Chicago, for instance), what kind of round selection would he have been? Tough to say, I imagine, but I'm just curious what some of you more "in the know" than I am would guess.
    Sano easily would have been a first-rounder, probably top ten. There was huge buzz surrounding him and it was quite a surprise to see the Twins come out on top.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 186 Times in 114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Sano easily would have been a first-rounder, probably top ten. There was huge buzz surrounding him and it was quite a surprise to see the Twins come out on top.
    Yeah, BA had a question about that when he was signed (and keep in mind he was 16 so wouldn't have been draft eligible in the states) and had him going somewhere (IIRC) in the top 15.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    According to MLBtraderumors.com the Twins are showing heavy interest in Dominican shortstop Amaurys Minier.

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    The international stuff really seems to be coming into its own as a crucial part of scouting.

someone asked jim callis this very same question in a b.a. chat last year and he speculated late first round. keep in mind that the kid was 16 when he signed so that increases the risk by a significant margin and lowers his worth. b.a. tries, for the most part, to not rank prospects until they at least hit the rookie leagues because you really have no idea what you have until then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast