Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oliveros promoted

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oliveros promoted

As per Gardenhire, Lester Oliveros will be joining the Twins roster. A corresponding move will be announced after the results of Walters' MRI are known.

Gardy did not look happy during the interview. He says there was no advance warning Walters was hurting.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That would be the first move before the game tomorrow after the MRI result. Then I would guess that manship goes when Hendricks comes up for Saturday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    That would be the first move before the game tomorrow after the MRI result. Then I would guess that manship goes when Hendricks comes up for Saturday.
    Or they send Parmelee down and go back to a 13-man pitching staff.

Blog Entries
    Not with us headed for the NL parks. They will need the bench.

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post

Gardy did not look happy during the interview. He says there was no advance warning Walters was hurting.
    This is from the Twins OFFICIAL website: "Walters told the training staff he had trouble getting loose before the game and that his shoulder was bothering him."

Here is the link: http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/...k_min&c_id=min

So maybe the training staff failed to inform anyone? If so, then someone needs to be punished for this.

Oliveras up....Manship down or what the move should be is Gray DFAd but the front office doesnt have the balls
    Hendricks up.....Walters DL....or vice verse

need Parmelee for NL gms next wk.

Blog Entries
    Gray had the best outing today. He isn't flashy but he doesn't suck. He hasn't lost a game for us either. He pitches well in tight spots. I don't get what peoples problem is with him.

Excited for Oliveros to be up. He will be closing by next season

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good for Oliveros. I hope he pitches well and can stay up with the team for a while.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    This is from the Twins OFFICIAL website: "Walters told the training staff he had trouble getting loose before the game and that his shoulder was bothering him."

Here is the link: http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/...k_min&c_id=min

So maybe the training staff failed to inform anyone? If so, then someone needs to be punished for this.
    Who has the responsibility of holding this training staff accountable for their mistakes? The fact that Walters expressed his concerns before taking the mound and that no body on the staff felt it necessary to alert Gardy of this is not good. I would think that their main job is to listen to what the players are telling them and keep the Manager informed on all issues. They have the obligation to keep these guys healthy and somebody did Walters a GREAT disservice last night.

How long is it gan take to get Anthony Slama promoted!?!

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauerzy4Prez View Post
    Who has the responsibility of holding this training staff accountable for their mistakes? The fact that Walters expressed his concerns before taking the mound and that no body on the staff felt it necessary to alert Gardy of this is not good. I would think that their main job is to listen to what the players are telling them and keep the Manager informed on all issues. They have the obligation to keep these guys healthy and somebody did Walters a GREAT disservice last night.
    and did the team a great disservice as well.

The only person who says he was not informed was Gardy. And we know Gardy never lies. (see: public vote of confidence on both Nathan and Capps as closers -"Nathan is my closer"- last season days before they were removed as closers.) And given that Andy is around the pen sessions of the starters before the game, I suspect that at least he knew also.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Higuys View Post
    How long is it gan take to get Anthony Slama promoted!?!
    He is on the DL right now
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    and did the team a great disservice as well.

The only person who says he was not informed was Gardy. And we know Gardy never lies. (see: public vote of confidence on both Nathan and Capps as closers -"Nathan is my closer"- last season days before they were removed as closers.) And given that Andy is around the pen sessions of the starters before the game, I suspect that at least he knew also.
    I actually believe Gardy on this one Thrylos... and while I see your point regarding the Nathan and Capps ordeal, wasn't the reason Nathan got removed is because he went to Gardy on his own and basically shut him self down? I believe that was the way it got reported last year. Nathan,,, after numerous issues with injuries and poor appearances, went to Gardy and said that he didn't have the "stuff" to be closing at the time and took himself out of that role.

I do agree with you that somebody did him a major disservice last night, and from the last few starts prior to last night, I'd be willing to bet Walters had expressed his "shoulder stiffness" a while ago and it still went unreported. I mean cooooome on, my high school football trainer could have done a better job keeping these players healthy, and she doubled as a gym teacher!!! (no offense to Gym teachers out there )

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    He is on the DL right now
    I thought so too! I actually just went to mlb.com and the twins website to try and back up the fact that he is on the DL and couldn't find anything... do you know what happened to him?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    The 1st move will be Walters to the DL.

When the recall Hendricks to pitch Saturday (or Sunday when tonight's game gets rained out) the won't send down Manship as he probably will be starting next Saturday. They will probably send Oliveras back down after Friday's game.

Blog Entries
    I must admit I was surprised in the post-game interview when Gardy said he had no advance warning. I'm not going to say he was not truthful, but it did appear to me watching the game that he came out of the dugout pretty quickly after the first few batters. Don't you normally send out the pitching coach first, to settle things down and feel out the situation? And Manship was up and warming up even before Gardy got to the mound - at least that's the way it looked on TV.

I also have to wonder, given what happened with Blackburn earlier, does anybody on the pitching staff really think they can get away with pitching injured without telling anyone? Wouldn't you have thought that, after that incident, they would sit their starters down and tell them in no uncertain terms, "Let us know if there's a problem warming up?" That's what I would have done.
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 06-14-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauerzy4Prez View Post
    I thought so too! I actually just went to mlb.com and the twins website to try and back up the fact that he is on the DL and couldn't find anything... do you know what happened to him?
    Slama's on the minor league 7-day DL, so he wouldn't show up on the MLB site. Technically, I think he can be called up and play since he isn't on the major league DL (anyone know this either way?), but the point is he is injured - bruised leg. Until that's healed, he's not pitching anywhere.

Slama's on the minor league 7-day DL, so he wouldn't show up on the MLB site. Technically, I think he can be called up and play since he isn't on the major league DL (anyone know this either way?), but the point is he is injured - bruised leg. Until that's healed, he's not pitching anywhere.
    Thanks for the heads up SB... It was driving me nuts that I couldn't verify what I had read a few days ago. How did he get a bruised leg, was he hit by a line drive or something?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Either someone isn't being truthful, or the communications in this organization is awful. But, no one ever gets held accountable in Twins' land, they just get reassigned to a new job. I'm not expecting any real changes in how injuries are handled. The totally downplayed Baker's issues, and kind of threw him under the bus a bit....turns out they were wrong. Last night, someone ignored a pitcher who said he shouldn't be pitching. I really, really, really do not understand why they have not made substantive changes to how they handle this stuff, because what they are doing hasn't worked for a couple of years.
    Lighten up Francis....

I must admit I was surprised in the post-game interview when Gardy said he had no advance warning. I'm not going to say he was not truthful, but it did appear to me watching the game that he came out of the dugout pretty quickly after the first few batters. Don't you normally send out the pitching coach first, to settle things down and feel out the situation? And Manship was up and warming up even before Gardy got to the mound - at least that's the way it looked on TV.

I also have to wonder, given what happened with Blackburn earlier, does anybody on the pitching staff really think they can get away with pitching injured without telling anyone? Wouldn't you have thought that, after that incident, they would sit their starters down and tell them in no uncertain terms, "Let us know if there's a problem warming up?" That's what I would have done.
    I think you are right in your first paragraph about sending out the pitching coach first normally that is the order of operations when a guy is struggling. Last night however, was not a situation where Anderson could/should have gone out first. They clearly were watching him from that first at bat, and as he threw an 86mph FASTBALL to Thome, it was obvious something was up. PJ did not need to get "settled down", he needed his manager to stare him in the eyes and directly ask WTF is going on, because he was not his normal self. I don't think that means Gardy knew anything before the game, I think it means that they recognized very early on in the first two at bats that he was not "right" from the get go, and they were preparing for the inevitable by warming up Manship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast