Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oliveros promoted

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,257 Times in 751 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauerzy4Prez View Post
    How did he get a bruised leg, was he hit by a line drive or something?
    http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4417132

"[Slama] sustained the injury last night [June 6], when Norfolk's Miguel Tejada lined a comeback off his right leg in the sixth inning."

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who has the responsibility of holding this training staff accountable for their mistakes? The fact that Walters expressed his concerns before taking the mound and that no body on the staff felt it necessary to alert Gardy of this is not good. I would think that their main job is to listen to what the players are telling them and keep the Manager informed on all issues. They have the obligation to keep these guys healthy and somebody did Walters a GREAT disservice last night.
    We don't know the sequence of events. I read this as Walters telling the staff after the fact that his shoulder was tight and it wouldn't loosen up. It is entirely possible that Walters told someone before the game, but the way the article is written, it could be either way. Players looking to establish themselves aren't likely to report anything to anyone when they are getting a chance to perform. A veteran with a guaranteed contract like Nick Blackburn is another matter altogether.

Gardy is reporting things as he sees them, but he wants to put his spin on events. The Twins website is going to try to put the best possible spin for the team. Those aren't exactly the same things. Gardenhire appeared angry and I think the anger was with Walters, not the training staff or Anderson.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Or they send Parmelee down and go back to a 13-man pitching staff.
    That move makes more sense. Parms ain't gonna get many AB's with Justin looking good at the plate, and we already have a pretty good bench for OF.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    We don't know the sequence of events. I read this as Walters telling the staff after the fact that his shoulder was tight and it wouldn't loosen up. It is entirely possible that Walters told someone before the game, but the way the article is written, it could be either way. Players looking to establish themselves aren't likely to report anything to anyone when they are getting a chance to perform. A veteran with a guaranteed contract like Nick Blackburn is another matter altogether.

Gardy is reporting things as he sees them, but he wants to put his spin on events. The Twins website is going to try to put the best possible spin for the team. Those aren't exactly the same things. Gardenhire appeared angry and I think the anger was with Walters, not the training staff or Anderson.
    I agree that he looked pretty angry (face even more red than usual), but my whole point, and I believe you are on the right track in your first paragraph, is when you have a young guy like PJ that is looking to establish himself and is hesitant to report any possible problems to the manager, it is the training staffs responsibility to keep Gardy in the loop. It is very likely, and probably correct that PJ did know he wasn't 100% before the game but said nothing to Gardy because he wants to prove himself... my issue is with the trainers not communicating this to Gardy even if Peej didn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4417132

"[Slama] sustained the injury last night [June 6], when Norfolk's Miguel Tejada lined a comeback off his right leg in the sixth inning."
    LOL at Miguel Tejada

Blog Entries
    It is very likely, and probably correct that PJ did know he wasn't 100% before the game but said nothing to Gardy because he wants to prove himself... my issue is with the trainers not communicating this to Gardy even if Peej didn't want to.
    What we are missing is any sense of the number of times pitchers "can't get loose" during warmups and struggle through a first inning where they give up a run or two, then things work out better and they get through 5 or 6 or 7 innings all right after all. Some of this discussion strikes me as pure second-guessing, for a case where things worked out about as badly as possible.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Lost in all this, is congrats to Oliveras for being promoted.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    You're right. I actually thought I was posting my little rant in the game-day thread. Maybe I'll go duplicate it over there.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Indeed. The back end of the Twins' bullpen has actually proven to be quite solid, so if Oliveros can carry over the improved control from the minors and start blowing people away in the majors with his mid-90s heat, he'll give Gardy the kind of depth that is lacking when he has to go to guys like Gray and Manship in the seventh inning.

Excited to see Oliveros. We don't have much to lose by trying, and he's young enough that it's conceivable he could still correct his control issues.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is Oliveros a future closer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12