Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Revere Still Not Appreciated!

  1. #1
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    256
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11

    Revere Still Not Appreciated!

    Don't look now but outfielder Ben Revere has silenced many of his harshest critics in his return to the Twins lineup. Revere was recalled on May 17th and has played almost every day with an occasional day off against LH pitching. He is hitting .340/.369/.425 and has scored 17 runs in 27 games. Revere still needs to draw more walks (4) and work on his bunting skills. However it's important to remember Revere has only had 226 career at bats in Rochester. He basically jumped from New Britain (.AA) to the majors last season. The Twins are 15-9 since his return and he has energized a lineup that looked pretty bad early in the season. Who said chemistry is not important to a ballclub? Revere should of never been sent down to Rochester in the first place but because management refused to move Span, he was the odd man out. GM Terry Ryan actually decided to go with retreads like Clete Thomas and Erik Komatsu in right field before giving Revere another shot. I still argue Revere should be playing in centerfield and Span should be moved to right but it will never happen. How Span has risen to king status in this organization is truly mind boggling? He is an excellent lead off hitter but not a better defensive centerfielder than Revere. Revere has a terrible arm and right field is the wrong place to hide it. Either way it appears Revere is still not appreciated for what he brings to the team on a daily basis.
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 06-13-2012 at 10:57 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,283
    Like
    299
    Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    I agree with you on some points. He is hitting well. Really well in fact and he has been really fun to watch. He does need to draw more walks, but I don't think that is completely his fault. Everyone in the league knows that he is not going to hit it out of the park. Knowing that, I think many pitchers are just challenging him by throwing strikes. If he keeps up this kind of batting average, pitcher will probably stop having that mentality and he'll start drawing more walks.

    I also agree, he shouldn't be in RF. But, I don't think that they should move Span either. Span is great in center. Revere is good too, but if you watch them you can see that Span reads the ball really well. Revere doesn't read the ball as well as Span, but he makes up for because he's so damn fast. I know this has been said before, but Revere would be best in LF. His arm wouldn't be that much of a problem there and a LF/CF combo of Revere/Span would cover a lot of ground. It is Willingham that needs to move, not Span.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    256
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    James,

    I disagree the best place for Span is right field because he has a good arm. Revere saves the Twins more runs in centerfield and Gardy should do what is best for the TEAM. However he is scared of upsetting Span and it's rediculous.

  4. #4
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,538
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    I agree that it would be great if Willingham would have been in RF with Span in CF and Revere in LF.

    Revere has been terrific since his recall. I don't think you'd find anyone who would disagree with that. I don't think anything has changed in his 'scouting report' and that's OK. When his BA is at .340, obviously the OBP is terrific. When the BA is at .270, the OBP will be subpar. I certainly hope he continues to hit this well.

  5. #5
    Member Rookie
    Posts
    33
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    4
    Span is overrated. He is good not great as either a center fielder or as a leadoff hitter. He has average range and an average arm for a centerfielder, and he ranks toward the middle of all leadoff hitters in the AL in OBP (6th) and OPS (9th). Overall, he is an average center fielder and an average leadoff hitter.

  6. #6
    Revere even held a runner or two from advancing to third base on a single yesterday. He may not have the arm, but he can charge the ball and make up enough of the difference to scare runners.

    Love Revere, I'm glad he's in the lineup on a daily basis because of a reason other than injury.

  7. #7
    I don't think Revere scares anyone with his arm. On a 20-80 scale, Revere probably has a 20-25 arm and Span a 45-50 arm. Span's arm is noticeably better. I don't think you need a great arm in center, but you do need something there to challenge runners. Revere covers a ton of ground but with the two of them together I think you want Span in center and Revere in left field because as another said, Span reads the ball off the bat better.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,997
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Span is overrated. He is good not great as either a center fielder or as a leadoff hitter. He has average range and an average arm for a centerfielder, and he ranks toward the middle of all leadoff hitters in the AL in OBP (6th) and OPS (9th). Overall, he is an average center fielder and an average leadoff hitter.
    Can you or anyone tell me where one finds comparative statistics by lineup position!? I don't understand how I am not finding those.

  9. #9
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,781
    Like
    4,922
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I'm one of the biggest Revere supporters I know. I have been bummed out since he lost his supposed starting job in LF about a week before the start of the season. Didn't agree with it then because I see Revere as a sparkplug and his skill set is valuable.

    With that said... I'm not going to pump my chest out and say...Look I was right cuz he's hitting .340.

    Revere could have a tailspin in the future and if he does have one... I'll be ready for it... But my face will not turn red in embarrassment and say I was wrong.

    I've seen enough... The Kid can play. Too Much is made of his arm and not enough is made of his speed and energy. The pressure that he can put on defenses from the speed factor alone is huge. Reaching base on infield grounders. The Threat of the bunt single. The High Contact rate... and the fastballs that Mauer and Willingham will see with him on the basepaths in front of them. The Defense... The Somersualts... The Whole package... The Guy is a plus player and I don't care if the extra base hits every come.

    I'd put him in left but it doesn't matter to me. As long as Span and Revere are together in the outfield. Ground will be covered. I just don't want an outfield with Willingham and Doumit in the OF together. OF Range is a much bigger issue than Arm strength.

    The Twins were wrong to make Revere a 4th OF in the first place. I'll feel that way if he was hitting .340 or .240. On this club... He should have had a job.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,997
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'm one of the biggest Revere supporters I know. I have been bummed out since he lost his supposed starting job in LF about a week before the start of the season. Didn't agree with it then because I see Revere as a sparkplug and his skill set is valuable.

    With that said... I'm not going to pump my chest out and say...Look I was right cuz he's hitting .340.

    Revere could have a tailspin in the future and if he does have one... I'll be ready for it... But my face will not turn red in embarrassment and say I was wrong.

    I've seen enough... The Kid can play. Too Much is made of his arm and not enough is made of his speed and energy. The pressure that he can put on defenses from the speed factor alone is huge. Reaching base on infield grounders. The Threat of the bunt single. The High Contact rate... and the fastballs that Mauer and Willingham will see with him on the basepaths in front of them. The Defense... The Somersualts... The Whole package... The Guy is a plus player and I don't care if the extra base hits every come.

    I'd put him in left but it doesn't matter to me. As long as Span and Revere are together in the outfield. Ground will be covered. I just don't want an outfield with Willingham and Doumit in the OF together. OF Range is a much bigger issue than Arm strength.

    The Twins were wrong to make Revere a 4th OF in the first place. I'll feel that way if he was hitting .340 or .240. On this club... He should have had a job.

    Yes to all of this, though hitting .240 would make him Rochester-bound in my view.

    I do have a question for you though. Let's assume this production continues. Does Revere bring back more in a trade than Span?

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,283
    Like
    299
    Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'm one of the biggest Revere supporters I know. I have been bummed out since he lost his supposed starting job in LF about a week before the start of the season. Didn't agree with it then because I see Revere as a sparkplug and his skill set is valuable.

    With that said... I'm not going to pump my chest out and say...Look I was right cuz he's hitting .340.

    Revere could have a tailspin in the future and if he does have one... I'll be ready for it... But my face will not turn red in embarrassment and say I was wrong.

    I've seen enough... The Kid can play. Too Much is made of his arm and not enough is made of his speed and energy. The pressure that he can put on defenses from the speed factor alone is huge. Reaching base on infield grounders. The Threat of the bunt single. The High Contact rate... and the fastballs that Mauer and Willingham will see with him on the basepaths in front of them. The Defense... The Somersualts... The Whole package... The Guy is a plus player and I don't care if the extra base hits every come.

    I'd put him in left but it doesn't matter to me. As long as Span and Revere are together in the outfield. Ground will be covered. I just don't want an outfield with Willingham and Doumit in the OF together. OF Range is a much bigger issue than Arm strength.

    The Twins were wrong to make Revere a 4th OF in the first place. I'll feel that way if he was hitting .340 or .240. On this club... He should have had a job.
    I completely agree that he should be playing every day. No question about that in my mind. I just think he should be playing every day in LF. That's all. In my mind though, he is quite possibly the most fun player to watch. Definitely on the team, possibly in the league. He adds so much excitement to the game.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,997
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Beating CDog to it! There is some issue involving both Revere and Gardenhire not liking Revere in LF during spring training (you know, this team makes significant decisions based off of freaking spring training).

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,283
    Like
    299
    Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Yes to all of this, though hitting .240 would make him Rochester-bound in my view.

    I do have a question for you though. Let's assume this production continues. Does Revere bring back more in a trade than Span?
    I would have to say that he wouldn't bring as much. Span has been very consistent over the years and a team would know what they are getting. Revere is a wild card. He could give you this type of production forever, or the production could fall off. Span would cost a little more up front, but if Revere keeps playing like this, his salary could get more expensive than Span's during the arbitration years. I think if a team were really pushing for something, they would want to make sure they're getting something for the prospects they are giving up.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Beating CDog to it! There is some issue involving both Revere and Gardenhire not liking Revere in LF during spring training (you know, this team makes significant decisions based off of freaking spring training).
    Is there some way to file suit for "territory infringement" or whatever it is they call it that the Giants use to keep the A's out of San Jose?

  15. #15
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    83
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Can you or anyone tell me where one finds comparative statistics by lineup position!? I don't understand how I am not finding those.
    League splits broken down by batting order, position, whatever else you could want: http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...g=AL&year=2012
    Or you can use the pull-down menus on the ESPN site, like so: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting...ePct/minpa/150
    Others?

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,997
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by James Richter View Post
    League splits broken down by batting order, position, whatever else you could want: http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...g=AL&year=2012
    Or you can use the pull-down menus on the ESPN site, like so: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting...ePct/minpa/150
    Others?
    Thank you! I never even thought of trying ESPN.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Span is overrated. He is good not great as either a center fielder or as a leadoff hitter. He has average range and an average arm for a centerfielder, and he ranks toward the middle of all leadoff hitters in the AL in OBP (6th) and OPS (9th). Overall, he is an average center fielder and an average leadoff hitter.
    Believe what you want, but fangraphs disagrees. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...r-in-baseball/

  18. #18
    Senior Member Double-A PMKI's Avatar
    Posts
    128
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They played Ben a good amount in left last season didn't they? I remember one game there was a foul ball hit near me at a game and he came flying out of nowhere to catch the ball. Oh and when do you guys think he hits his first homer if ever? Not inside-the-parker.
    Last edited by PMKI; 06-13-2012 at 05:32 PM.

  19. #19
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,685
    Like
    2,656
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    Oh and when do you guys think he hits his first homer if ever? Not inside-the-parker.
    Old Timers Game, 2032. Blyleven will throw him a meatball from his walker just for grins.

  20. #20
    Member Rookie
    Posts
    33
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    4
    Believe what you want, but fangraphs disagrees. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...r-in-baseball/

    I have to confess I haven't a clue what he's talking about. He appears to make numerous assumptions
    in choosing which data to use, what to add to what, etc. Bottom line, the folks on his most underrated list compared with his "least underrated" seem to say that up is down and down is up. His most underrated include a wholly mundane group while his "least underrated" (he couldn't quite dare to call them overrated) essentially consists of a number of MVP candidates. I'm not convinced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.