Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: So why exactly did they bring up Parmelee?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

So why exactly did they bring up Parmelee?

Parmelee, who started with the club playing regularly (with Morneau DHing) and was sent down (justifiably) to Rochester, was recalled on June 8th. Since then he has started one game, was a substitute in one more, and sat on the bench the last two.

My question is, why is he back up here? Did we bring him up because he had a hot bat? Then why isn't he batting? It raises the question of what exactly the Twins see his future with the club being. If he is seen as a backup to Morneau in case of injury or a return of concussion symptoms, then doesn't it make more sense to keep him in Rochester where he can play every day and keep himself sharp? Or do we see him merely as a backup, never being more than a spare bat? Is Morneau then our long-term plan for 1B? Is it Mauer? Do they even know what role they want Parmelee to play? I'm left with the conclusion that his numbers in AAA forced a recall, even if they weren't sure what they were going to do with him, and that sounds like a problem for both the Twins and Parmelee.

Thoughts?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think they're wasting the kid on the bench. He's still barely 24 years old and has shown improvements in power recently. Initially, I didn't think he'd have the power to play first base on a major league squad but I'm reconsidering that belief. He walks at a good clip and has the makings of at least a league-average bat if he continues to advance toward his prime. Morneau is playing well and hasn't lapsed since his DL stint. At this point, I think it's time to put Parmelee back in Rochester and let him play every day.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Since his recall coincided with Mauer's thumb injury, I assumed he was going to replace Mauer who was going to end up on the DL. That didn't happen, but it wouldn't be the first time that the club was unsure about the extent of a Mauer injury.

It would make sense to have another strong bench bat during interleague play, only the Twins are playing at home this week and have no need to pinch hit for the pitcher. Perhaps he was called up simply because there really aren't any other deserving players in AAA. I'd still rather call up Burroughs to sit on the bench 5 games a week and let Parmelee play everyday.

Liked 141 Times in 88 Posts
    I believe they brought him up so they could have another bench bat during the interleague series. With the schedule the way it was, they only needed 4 starters for a while. Once Pavano is back, they will probably send him back down for more AAA time.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I believe they brought him up so they could have another bench bat during the interleague series. With the schedule the way it was, they only needed 4 starters for a while. Once Pavano is back, they will probably send him back down for more AAA time.
    This is probably the most reasonable explanation. Having him play sparingly for a week or so isn't going to kill his development, and it's nice to have a capable left-handed hitter available on the bench while the schedule allows them to go with a 4 man rotation. Also, I think there was some uncertainty surrounding Mauer's thumb (and possibly Morneau's wrist) when Parmalee was called up, so it wasn't a bad idea to have an extra first basemen around just in case those two were going to miss a few games.

I also think that Revere and you could make a case for Plouffe's strong performance recently has made it hard for Gardy to take them out of the line up. This makes it tough to include Parmelee in the outfield situation. I imagine he will stay with the team through the interleague roadtrip next week for pinch hitting flexibility and then be sent down for Pavano, or a player like Burroughs who does not need everyday at bats.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He was the hot bat when he was called up... but if he's just going to sit on the bench, maybe Sean Burroughs should have been called up instead because he is hitting alright and no one cares if he doesn't play.

This is a great question. There is no better example of how they're screwing this up than to look at what has happened with Plouffe. Plouffe was hitting .121 with 1 HR in 33 AB's for the month of April. It really wasn't until Valencia crapped out that he got any kind of extended look. As recently as May 18th, he was hitting .135! But now that they've given him a regular job and enough AB's, he suddenly has emerged as a legit power bat, and one of the few young bright spots in our lineup.

Is is so unrealistic to think that Parmelee couldn't have done the same thing, given a regular opportunity? If you would've asked anyone in April, they'd have put money on a breakout performance by Parmelee long before they'd bet on Plouffe. Yet, here we are.

To be fair, the fact that Morneau has stayed in the lineup and played 25 of 44 games at 1st base was a somewhat unexpected development that blocked any long-term opportunity for Parmelee. Also, between Doumit's improved hitting, and the need to keep Mauer away from everyday catching (plus the games Morneau DH's), there really isn't much room for Parmelee at DH, either. This is also a situation that may correct itself in time, because the chances of one or more of those three guys I just mentioned getting hurt again are fairly high.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He was the hot bat when he was called up... but if he's just going to sit on the bench, maybe Sean Burroughs should have been called up instead because he is hitting alright and no one cares if he doesn't play.
    When you obtain waivers on a player being sent to AAA, can you then bring him up and down at will for the rest of the season, or must you waive him again each time he's returned to AAA?

I just don't see this as a bad situation for the Twins. It is definetly not ideal for Parmelee, but due to health and productivity of other players it is tough to find a spot for Parmelee right now. It is tough to mess with the good offense that we have going right now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    When you obtain waivers on a player being sent to AAA, can you then bring him up and down at will for the rest of the season, or must you waive him again each time he's returned to AAA?
    If he is called up again, he would need to be added to the 40-man roster. If sent back down after that, then (assuming he has no options left) yes, you have to clear waivers again.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It boggles my mind too. There are other players like Sean Burroughs if a lefty 1st base option was needed . . .

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    If he is called up again, he would need to be added to the 40-man roster. If sent back down after that, then (assuming he has no options left) yes, you have to clear waivers again.
    Works against Burroughs being the short-term callup guy, then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Works against Burroughs being the short-term callup guy, then.
    It does make it more complicated. Odds are he would clear waivers again, but if he is out of options, then to be sent down would require his consent.

In the end, that may be why they brought up Parmelee - since he's already on the 40-man and already using an option year this year, it requires far less jiggering on the roster than the other possibilities.

Blog Entries
    I don't know why, with the presence of Jeff Gray, any position player would need to be sent back down for Pavano.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    I don't know why, with the presence of Jeff Gray, any position player would need to be sent back down for Pavano.
    The Twins will NOT go back to 13 pitchers at least until after their NL Road Trip (hopefully they never go back to 13).

While Pavano is eligible to come off of the DL on Sunday, he won't be ready to come back at that time.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Blasphemer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    The Twins will NOT go back to 13 pitchers at least until after their NL Road Trip (hopefully they never go back to 13).

While Pavano is eligible to come off of the DL on Sunday, he won't be ready to come back at that time.
    As they shouldn't. Hence the end of the Jeff Gray era soonish (hopefully he doesn't slam the door behind him and Anthony Swarzak follows him out).