Thread: Dan Gladden haters

Dan Gladden haters

In the spirit of the Jim Souhan thread - and I'm with those who find him boorish - here's the same question about Gladden. Am I the only one who finds his off-the-wall weirdness endearing? I admit that back in the John Gordon days it was a bit of a rudderless ship but now that there's Cory Provus who is so professional it seems like a good dynamic, even if Cory is occasionally left speechless.

I don't hate Gladden. He's a good commentator but he is a terrible play-by-play person. Many times he's a couple of seconds late in calling the play. You can hear crack of the bat, then the crowd reaction, then Gladden will start describing the play. He does not paint a picture, rather he talks in general terms.

Description of a hit: "And this ball is going to get through the infield for a hit." Was it a line drive, grounder, what? Where did it get through?
    Description of a player's base-running abilities: "He doesn't run all that well." OR "He runs well."
    Description of just about any play: "This pitch is going to be called a strike" OR "And this ball is going to be a ___________________." Is going to be? Future tense? Don't you mean it is happening right now?
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think part of the reason they picked Cory was to have a good foil for Gladden. It's a nice "Good Cop, Bad Cop" tandem. Personally, I love the way Gladden calls the game with his former player/scout's eye. Anytime anybody from either team does something unprofessional, he nails them immediately. On the con side, he doesn't always let you know right away what's going on. There isn't much change in his tone of voice between a routine fly and a 2nd-deck homer; that difference was always pretty clear with Gordon. Listening to that Thome HR off Thornton a couple of years ago, I thought it had just barely cleared the high wall. When I saw the replay I couldn't believe Gladden hadn't gone bananas the second it left the bat.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 590 Times in 225 Posts
    Gladden is an incredibly lousy play-by-play guy. The broadcast quality immediately goes down the crapper when he takes over the pbp duties.

They really, really need to keep him in his color role at all times.

I think the color vs. play by play distinction is reasonable, although I don't mind when he does two innings.

One of his more excellent moments from last week was when, at the suggestion of a schedule that put them in Chicago for a full week, he said by the end he'd need to "be on the disabled list". Cory's getting better at handling him. The first two weeks I can only imagine the number of "WTF?" faces he must have been making.

One thing I like this year is getting to hear a little between pitch crowd buzz. It lets you soak in the atmosphere of the game without being there imo. There's been too much talking and late reaction to the play the last few years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Having a former player as the color guy is a good move and Gladden uses his history with the club well. He was with the team during the glory days and his stories and ability to reminisce about his teammates help provide optimism with the listeners. He isn't a good play-by-play guy but if anyone remembers 5-6 years ago (or was it longer?) when they first started giving him an inning or two, he was actually worse than he is now. He was trying to do his color schtick while the plays were going on and the listener had no idea what the hell happened. He'll never be a good play-by-play guy but at this rate he might be passable in 2020.

Gladden's play-by-play calling can be both maddening and delightful at the same time. I remember a specific instance a few years ago when Nick Punto, of all people, homered in Anaheim. Dazzle's monotonous call went like this: "And Punto swings and here's a little pop fly to right, and that's gonna get out of here for a three-run home run." Wha---??? Punto just homered? Come on, let's hear the surprise in your voice! Or how about rethinking the phrasing of "a little pop fly?" As poorly as he often paints the full picture, I find his style funny and enjoyable on a very different level.

What i dislike are......he gets into a story bout old days, then doesnt finish & he is also so old school that he makes himself look foolish with todays stats/sabermetrics

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    I dislike Souhan because he's smug and arrogant with no justification. It may seem to some that Gladden is also smug and arrogant but, there's an important distinction to be made. Gladden has walked the walk. There's a concept I've seen refered to as the "arrogance of ignorance". It's that point in anything some rookies reach where they believe they are now expert, though they are light years away from understanding the subtleties. You see them on most job sites and places of employment. Souhan seems firmly entrenched at this point concerning baseball. Gladden probably passed this point when he was 18 or 20. To me, Gadden adds tremendous value to the broadcast. I like him a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I dislike Souhan because he's smug and arrogant with no justification. It may seem to some that Gladden is also smug and arrogant but, there's an important distinction to be made. Gladden has walked the walk. There's a concept I've seen refered to as the "arrogance of ignorance". It's that point in anything some rookies reach where they believe they are now expert, though they are light years away from understanding the subtleties. You see them on most job sites and places of employment. Souhan seems firmly entrenched at this point concerning baseball. Gladden probably passed this point when he was 18 or 20. To me, Gadden adds tremendous value to the broadcast. I like him a lot.
    I'm not comfortable with the "Gladden's walked the walk" argument. A huge proportion of TV and radio broadcasters are former players. In Detroit, we had George Kell and Al Kaline, who are legends compared to Gladden's solid, but not extraordinary career. Few pitchers have "walked the walk" like Blyleven did in his long career. But that doesn't Bert's occasional arrogance and derisiveness any more palatable to the people who dislike him. I didn't like Gladden when he was a player much, and I don't like him now, but that's not really my critique of his broadcasting.

His issues are the dead air and the lack of excitement. He's really the complete inverse of Dick Bremer - Bremer is very excitable, and (I think) does a good job, but he also gets excited over things that should be non-events, like a 275-foot flyball out. Especially on the radio, I'd rather have someone flawed in the way Bremer is, than to sound like you're bored or too good to get excited about the product you're covering.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Gladden's objectivity is something you can only wish for on the TV end

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    I'm not comfortable with the "Gladden's walked the walk" argument. A huge proportion of TV and radio broadcasters are former players. In Detroit, we had George Kell and Al Kaline, who are legends compared to Gladden's solid, but not extraordinary career.
    Paul can answer for himself, I suppose, but I don't think the ability or type of career is the crucial thing so much as the experience and knowledge from having been there and gone through and learned from many things.

He belongs on the third base line as the third base coach! I don't know if that's an endorsement of Gladden or a damnation of Liddle - Oh wait - yes I do!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    I'm not comfortable with the "Gladden's walked the walk" argument. A huge proportion of TV and radio broadcasters are former players. In Detroit, we had George Kell and Al Kaline, who are legends compared to Gladden's solid, but not extraordinary career. Few pitchers have "walked the walk" like Blyleven did in his long career. But that doesn't Bert's occasional arrogance and derisiveness any more palatable to the people who dislike him. I didn't like Gladden when he was a player much, and I don't like him now, but that's not really my critique of his broadcasting.

His issues are the dead air and the lack of excitement. He's really the complete inverse of Dick Bremer - Bremer is very excitable, and (I think) does a good job, but he also gets excited over things that should be non-events, like a 275-foot flyball out. Especially on the radio, I'd rather have someone flawed in the way Bremer is, than to sound like you're bored or too good to get excited about the product you're covering.
    I don't think we disagree that much. I should've been clearer in my post. I was trying to make a distinction between the way Souhan and Gladden may be viewed. I don't necessarily think Gladden is a saintly and kind soul. He may be, I don't know. But he does know baseball and adds a lot ,for me, to the broadcast. Souhan...not so much. I'd like to add that not everyone hits the wall that Souhan has his nose against, the brightest realize the sheer volume of finer points there are on any subject and are normally humbled by that.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Paul can answer for himself, I suppose, but I don't think the ability or type of career is the crucial thing so much as the experience and knowledge from having been there and gone through and learned from many things.
    Dad, is that you?

Kidding aside...well put.