Thread: Article: Former Twins Pitcher Dave Boswell Passes Away at 67

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Former Twins Pitcher Dave Boswell Passes Away at 67

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Sad news. I've said before in other threads that Blyleven and Frank Viola are the only two guys who anyone could really consider an ace that the Twins have drafted and developed. Dave Boswell may have been better than both of them had he not blown out his arm in that epic playoff performance. He was on his way to a stellar career.

Yes sad news. I had to read story twice looking for reference to Senators--Ted Williams reign--then I realized that was Dick Bosman another pretty good Maryland born pitcher with similar name....

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    However, he is best known for getting punched by his manager, Billy Martin, outside a bar in Detroit.
    This kind of sells that particular story short. Boswell and Art Fowler, the pitching coach and Billy Martin's drinking buddy, were having a heated argument at the Lindell Athletic Club (a bar) in Detroit over sprints that Boswell was suppose to but did not run. Outfielder Bob Allison tried to interject and Boswell and Allison began to tangle.

At some point, no one has been clear on this, Martin took a swing at Boswell. Boswell claims he was grappling with Allison and Martin gave him a cheap shot while Martin insists Boswell was charging him. Either way, Martin dropped him and then, while Boswell was out cold, got a few more shots in. The end result was that Boswell needed 20-plus stitches.

To his credit, Boswell played the remainder of the season at a high level, even if he needed sunglasses to hide the two black eyes he received:

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,294 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's kind of a Scruffy Joe Mauer look to that photo.

Unhappy He was one of my favs as a kid growing up. 67 is too young.

[QUOTE=Parker Hageman;24309]This kind of sells that particular story short. Boswell and Art Fowler, the pitching coach and Billy Martin's drinking buddy, were having a heated argument at the Lindell Athletic Club (a bar) in Detroit over sprints that Boswell was suppose to but did not run. Outfielder Bob Allison tried to interject and Boswell and Allison began to tangle.

At some point, no one has been clear on this, Martin took a swing at Boswell. Boswell claims he was grappling with Allison and Martin gave him a cheap shot while Martin insists Boswell was charging him. Either way, Martin dropped him and then, while Boswell was out cold, got a few more shots in. The end result was that Boswell needed 20-plus stitches.

To his credit, Boswell played the remainder of the season at a high level, even if he needed sunglasses to hide the two black eyes he received:

[/QUOTEH]

He was one of my favorite Twins pitchers growing up. "Bozzy" was awesome in 1969 but was a pretty good pitcher in the mid 60's as well. 67 is too young.