Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Jim Souhan Haters

  1. #21
    Member Single-A jlovren's Avatar
    Posts
    72
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    [QUOTE=jokin;24125]I think that qualifies for "damning with faint praise"...[/QUote

    exactly what I was going for

  2. #22
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    1,900
    Like
    428
    Liked 351 Times in 200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    He's a columnist.
    Fair enough ... but I still expect more from paid columnists. It seems to me that there should be analysis and insight. Sometimes Souhan offers that .... and sometimes it is pretty apparent that he is just trying to elicit page views (can't point out specific examples but I have called him out on it from time to time in my own comments on the Strib.)

  3. #23
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    590
    Like
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't hate him, I just don't think much of him. I agree with those who have called him lazy and pointed out his unjustified arrogance. He's awfully dismissive of the average fan, but he doesn't seem to have much more knowledge or insight than the average fan. Once in a while he'll write a piece I think is good, or at least mildly entertaining. But most of them long on snideness and short on analysis.

    And as far as the journalist/columnist thing, I have a problem with the way he handles that. A columnist is someone who offers analysis and commentary on facts reported by other people. But when you are citing facts not reported anywhere else without a source (e.g. the eye-rolling at Mauer), I'm sorry, but you are reporting. I cannot stand how he makes claims about events that nobody else has reported on, then when pressed about the his evidence for those events, hides behind the "I'm not a reporter, I'm a columnist" thing. It's bush league.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    150
    Like
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    ...And as far as the journalist/columnist thing, I have a problem with the way he handles that...
    I'm reminded of an older movie. I forget the title, but it has Robert Redford and Michell Pfiefer. Redford plays a TV producer for the nightly news. Pfiefer is an up and coming news reporter who is treated dismissively on air by the news anchor. She is upset and complaining to Redford, who has a confused look on his face, about what a dickhead the guy is. Redford's confused look fades as he realizes what she doesn't understand. He says something to the effect of " He's an anchorman."

  5. #25
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    969
    Like
    3
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    I don't hate him, I just don't think much of him. I agree with those who have called him lazy and pointed out his unjustified arrogance. He's awfully dismissive of the average fan, but he doesn't seem to have much more knowledge or insight than the average fan. Once in a while he'll write a piece I think is good, or at least mildly entertaining. But most of them long on snideness and short on analysis.
    .
    I think this is pretty much what I think about him. He tends to think use information he gets from access as facts, when he should be checking that the information with, well, real facts.

  6. #26

    He isnt a very good writer

    I dont like Souhans columns because...he isnt a very good writer. The difference between the golden age of sportswriters and him is that...when they used humor, colorful language and metaphors they were funny and interesting...he is hokey and flat.

    Oddly, when I've heard him on the radio or seen him on FSN he is not too bad. His columns, on the other hand, are painful like a root canal. I cant and wont suffer through them. He tries to be Rick Reilly and even the real version of Rick Reilly grates my nerves let alone a cheap knockoff.

  7. #27
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    I think the hatred people give him is somewhat comical. I don't like him, but I don't hate him. His judgement is just something I don't keep in mind because I disagree with his ideas. A lot of people here regularly don't agree with Souhan and belittle him because of it that's all.

  8. #28
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMeat View Post
    This is a good, recent example: http://www.startribune.com/sports/154883415.html

    He sounds like that buddy everyone has that is about 5 beers deep and starts handing down baseball knowledge after watching a weekend game if he's not busy and maybe baseball tonight a few nights a week.
    Great example actually. For me this is a pretty good article because it makes you think. He is very provocative as other posters have said. However, I hate nearly all of these suggestions except for the marriage cam, shaving cream pies, and head shots. Regardless, none of those are really big issues in the game. The thing is, he writes about petty, minuscule stuff like that which are really just unchangeable pet peeves. Maybe he'd like to bring up instant replay or some sort of realistic issue to make it relevant and worthwhile, but alas that's too big a topic to mention for the Great Souhanduski. To go into further detail in my disagreement, I'd flip out if they got rid of the hit-and-run. It's just plain awesome when it works to perfection and the thought of someone eliminating that just makes me shudder.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 06-13-2012 at 03:18 AM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    583
    Like
    4
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Since the Strib went to the article limit, I have stopped reading him. Before I might read a few of his articles 1-2 times a month to see what a baboon might say about a current topic.

    But Now I go to the Strib less than once a week and only to Read the Metro section, LenIII and Joe C's.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Since the Strib went to the article limit, I have stopped reading him. Before I might read a few of his articles 1-2 times a month to see what a baboon might say about a current topic.

    But Now I go to the Strib less than once a week and only to Read the Metro section, LenIII and Joe C's.
    What is it about him that you don't like?
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by BHtwins View Post
    Oddly, when I've heard him on the radio or seen him on FSN he is not too bad. His columns, on the other hand, are painful like a root canal. I cant and wont suffer through them. He tries to be Rick Reilly and even the real version of Rick Reilly grates my nerves let alone a cheap knockoff.
    This is a good observation. Souhan is on ESPN1500 every day at 2:05 pm and he's quite listenable. I think he tends toward hyperbole and bluster in the newspaper. Plus he gets to plug in multiple metaphors. He goes through metaphors like Madonna goes through condoms.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    From my point of view he's smug and arrogant without any justification. He's spiteful. I've never seen him show a care about how his writing might affect his target. I dislike him because of these qualities.

    In his defense though, he's not a journalist per se. He's a columnist.
    Yeah, agreed. It's more of a "tone" think with Souhan. I never really read Barriero as a columnist, but having heard him extensively on the radio, I can't imagine it was much more extreme than that in print, as compared to him trying to drum up controversy 3-4 hours a day on the radio. Bump's negativity is too much for some people, but I'm usually a fan of his.

    Souhan just sounds bitter. There's something about his tone that feels a little elitist, almost as if they flew in a New York Times writer who wasn't really a baseball fan and asked him to breakdown the flaws with the Twins. He's clearly experienced and "plugged in" to the issues with the team, but when you read him, you don't "hurt" with him the way you may joke with a buddy about how bad the team is, but laughing while you're talking about it. Souhan just feels like he needs to complain sometimes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.