Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hottest team in baseball..

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts

The hottest team in baseball..

The Twins are 9-2 in their last 11 games, and have won their last 4 series..'
    Playin good ball.
    Will is last?
    I know some of the teams have been easy.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends on how the starting pitching holds up - the last couple of weeks they've done fairly well. They've lowered their collective starting ERA to 5.99

Are we still sellers!?!?!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Depends on how the starting pitching holds up - the last couple of weeks they've done fairly well. They've lowered their collective starting ERA to 5.99
    The RP has been phenomenal with a 1.66 ERA over the last 14 days and 1.25 over the last 7. Probably unsustainable, as their season RP ERA is 3.45 (unless they DFA Gray ).

How about that Scott Diamond!?!?!?

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    I believe the Pirates are the hottest team in baseball, actually! Routing for them too, of course!
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    I believe the Pirates are the hottest team in baseball, actually! Routing for them too, of course!
    They are only 7-3 in their last 10.
    But they can pound on KC all tehy want!

Ok, I know we have played some weak teams too... lol
    It just feels good to win...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, it does feel good to win.

It's too bad we dug ourselves such a deep hole so early.

So far, it's a similar script to last year. Bad start, followed by a June surge against weak teams.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next as the season wears on and the competition gets tougher.

I'm not expecting the unstoppable freight train that we saw from June on in 2006, but I'm hopeful that it will be better than the second-half train wreck of 2011.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    We still have the worst record in the AL. We have pulled even with KC at 24 wins. I think we can play .500 ball for the rest of the season and end up with 76 wins. I think that makes us sellers. Winning at an 80% clip isn't going to happen with this pitching staff.

It's the AL central.... We're only down 8 games!!

Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    Yeah, it does feel good to win.

It's too bad we dug ourselves such a deep hole so early.

So far, it's a similar script to last year. Bad start, followed by a June surge against weak teams.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next as the season wears on and the competition gets tougher.

I'm not expecting the unstoppable freight train that we saw from June on in 2006, but I'm hopeful that it will be better than the second-half train wreck of 2011.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    We only have 2 more losses then the Tigers.

Who would have thunk it ?????

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeee View Post
    It's the AL central.... We're only down 8 games!!
    ---Yeah, my head says that the best thing about this run is that it helps build trade value of guys we should be looking to sell off at the deadline, but there's always that small part of me that roots for the team with my heart and stubbornly refuses to give up until the team is mathematically eliminated.

I remember going to games with my Dad as a kid, and being down by like 12 runs in the 8th inning, and he'd ask if I wanted to go. And I would defiantly insist on staying because, dammit, it's ain't over 'til it's over. Guess I wasn't able to completely mature out of that.

It ain't over till it's over...
    I remember this box score from a game with Cleveland and Seattle the year that the mariners had like 117 wins....

M's were up 14-2 in teh 7th....

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=200108050CLE

Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    ---Yeah, my head says that the best thing about this run is that it helps build trade value of guys we should be looking to sell off at the deadline, but there's always that small part of me that roots for the team with my heart and stubbornly refuses to give up until the team is mathematically eliminated.

I remember going to games with my Dad as a kid, and being down by like 12 runs in the 8th inning, and he'd ask if I wanted to go. And I would defiantly insist on staying because, dammit, it's ain't over 'til it's over. Guess I wasn't able to completely mature out of that.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I'm not sure if you're comment was tongue in cheek or not. But it is striking, and possibly unprecedented, at how truly awful the members of the original Twins starting staff have performed this year. Believe it or not, according to Fangraphs: The Twins original starters are ranked #1(Hendriks 9.00) #2 (Blackburn 7.73) #3 (Marquis 7.65) #5 (Liriano 6.65) and #12 (Pavano 6.00) in worst ERA in all of the SPs in baseball. As of today (before including today's game), the ERA is still the worst in baseball at 6.11, lower even than the lowly Rockies who play in the launching pad that is Coors Field, who check in at 5.85. That Cole DeVries comes in as a breath of fresh air to the rotation is telling at how abysmally bad this staff has been.

On a string of positive notes: 1) Blackburn and Liriano are back, showing at least a pulse in Blackie's case and a case for hope in Frankie's. 2)Hendriks, barring one anomalous performance, has been lights out in Rochester 3)Pavano has a history of bouncing back from the brink of extinction 4) Can't say this enough, Marquis is out of his, and our, misery, 5) Diamond appears to be the real deal, completely reversing most of his negative patterns from last year (at or near the top in ERA, BB/9 and GB%). Probably not sustainable, but even a regression to the mean of his two years combined in the majors qualifies for Ace on this staff.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Twins win! So great to see them battle back last night with a great pen performance and big hits. Mauer looks rested and could go on a tear. Parmalee might even hit a little and show us whether the Twins can deal Morneau.

We are all happy but.......
    At 24-34.....MN is
    16-13 in last 29
    14-8 in last 22
    9 of last 11

Chicago is 33-26 and in first place. Their .559 winning percentage is good for 91 wins

If the Twins play at that pace over their next 59gms.....
    they are 57-60 after AUG 13th.....

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    We are all happy but.......
    At 24-34.....MN is
    16-13 in last 29
    14-8 in last 22
    9 of last 11

Chicago is 33-26 and in first place. Their .559 winning percentage is good for 91 wins

If the Twins play at that pace over their next 59gms.....
    they are 57-60 after AUG 13th.....
    A strong case for why the Twins have to stare cold reality in the face and rebuild. In this crazy division, even 87 wins could sneak a team in, but what's the point in even trying? It doesn't make business or competitive team sense to pretend to contend, if it hurts the team's chances in the intermediate and long-term, as was proven last year.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    This really feels like last year. There was a horrible start, a recovery in June to give us some hope. I think 46-51 was the record before the bottom fell out.

Last year the injuries really hit in July. If they can stay healthy and if the pitching holds together (big ifs) they have enough offense to win a weak division.

A couple of weeks ago I looked at the schedule and thought that maybe they could make a run and get to .500 by the end of June. It was wishful thinking from an irrational optimist, and even now it's a bit of a stretch. If they can go 15-4 for the rest of the month... (Finish the sweep of the Cubs, then 2 of 3, 2 of 3, sweep; repeat).

Diamond seems to have figured something out and it might be sustainable. I'm not so confident in Walters. I'm still hopeful about Liriano, although I have accepted reality about my preseason Cy Young prediction for him. (I bought a Liriano replica jersey for $30 on Amazon during the off season and it affected my brain. I guess I should have gone with the Morneau jersey, but then I probably would have tagged him for MVP.)

Pavano and Blackburn are both big question marks, bot hfor health and performance, and the DL might be the safest place for both of them. (I suppose they could just alternate.) Manship (or is it Shipman or Manhsip?) might finally be ready and healthy. Either Duensing or Swarzak would be OK in the rotation if needed. I know Devries is a MN guy and it was a nice story, but AAA is his place.

OK, the pitching scares me, but it's possible to put together a good, young rotation with this bunch. If that happens (I said possible, not likely) then we might have a season after all.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    Either Duensing or Swarzak would be OK in the rotation if needed.

I think you make a lot of good observations, the sense of "deja vu all over" is in the air. However, I do think your optimism got the best of you with Swarzak and Duensing, I think they might be "OK" relative to what the first two months SP stats were, but I think you need to cite evidence that suggests these two are ever going to be more valuable to the team other than in the roles they currently employ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast