Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Beloit

Beloit

Heading to a Snappers vs. Timber rattlers game this evening in Appleton, WI. Looking forward to seeing some of the prospects we've all been talking about. I will give you an update afterwards.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Be sure to update this thread following the game or tomorrow or something with your thoughts on everything! I look forward to it!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm heading out to Appleton tomorrow. Very excited...

Well it was a packed house for Star Wars night. I had great seats 2 rows back down the 3rd base line, so I could get a good look at Sano. Like everyone has been saying, the guy seems twice as big as everyone else. It was a poor night to see offense as the Snappers lost 4-0.

Sano struggled and went 0-4 including 2 strikeouts (I think). He was taking some big swings at the ball all night. He was swinging at a lot of pitches in the dirt which makes me think he is still struggling with off speed stuff. On the defensive side, I was pleasantly surprised by him. In the first, he knocked down a tough in-between hop to get the runner out at first. In the 4th, he made a really nce play moving to his right and picking the ball up almost right on 3rd base. He through it low across the diamond to get just beat the runner.

Grimes as Rosario were a fun double play team to watch (I think they turned 2 and looked quite smooth in the process--particularly Grimes's throws to first after Rosario's flip). Rosario did misplay a grounder to prevent an inning ending double play: I would say the his hands don't seem very soft, at least in this game. However, he did seem calm and collected at the position.

Finally, I was quite impressed with the pitcher Tyler Jones. He really struggled in the 3rd inning where you walked in a batter and hit another for an additional run. However, he settled down by getting two swinging strikeouts to end the bases loaded jam. The next inning, he struck out the side. A lot of the opposing batters were swinging at his off speed pitches in the dirt. Eventually he ended up with something like 8 strikeouts. He showed great composure and in ability to rebound. I would like to see him pitch again.

All in all, some great fun in the Midwest league.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    was at today's game....tough pill to swollow
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Blog Entries
    I was at yesterday's game. I had my wife and 2 small children with me so I couldn't make all the observations I wanted too. I will be attending today's game by myself. Of course, I made sure I was watching when Rosario and Sano came up. Without actually counting(today I may keep count), I would say Sano got about 75% breaking balls. I see no reason for this not to continue until Sano gives them a reason. The first AB started out with a curve ball. It ended with a 3-2 breaking ball (for strike 3)that would've been ball 4 had Sano laid off. He does take big hacks. Perhaps shortening up that swing is the only way to fix him. With all that power he would still be able to hit bombs without swinging for the moon.

It was unfortunte Beloit couldn't take advantage of the strong wind blowing straight out to LF. The hardest hit ball was a foul by Adam Bryant. It had the distance but he hooked it by a few feet. Matt Koch had a sac fly that landad near the track, He seams to be a very fly ball oriented hitter. I like his power potential and I think he could move ahead of Chris Herrmann on the catching depth chart some day.

Jonathan Goncalves had a few hits and scored both runs for Beloit. I was impressed by his speed.

Fox Cities Stadium is very nice. Pretty big crowd yesterday which included some K9's. I doubt the game today will have nearly as many people. Hopefully today's game will feature more offense from the Snappers. I look forward to watching Jason Wheeler pitch. After the game we will be visiting Green Bay which is only 30 miles away. Check out lake Michigan and get something to eat. Tomorrow morning make the drive back to the Twin Cities.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Righty gets to see a Sano Grand Slam , HR 15
    Now 49 rbi's.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano hit the grand slam off of a pitcher named Goforth. Go forth and prosper, Sano!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Nate Roberts 3 hits and a stolen base from the leadoff spot. Goncalves a solo HR so far,too.Koch and Jairo Rodriguez a pair of hits.

7-4 Beloit in the 7th.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Achter fails 2 walks/3 hits/3 R HR.

Tied at 7

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Corey Williams fans a batter w/2 on in the 7th, tied at 7 after 7.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    8-7 Beloit loses.

I got to see the Timber Rattlers short stop last year in rookie ball here in Helena. It looks like Yadiel Riveria is still a good ballplayer to two walk-off hits vs. the Snappers.
    Last edited by TwinVike61; 06-11-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Righty gets to see a Sano Grand Slam , HR 15
    Now 49 rbi's.
    Yeah, that was exciting. It was a no doubter too. I was not optimistic when he fell behind 0-2. Sano took a couple balls to even the count before the pitcher hung a breaking ball. As soon as he hit it I made it clear I was not cheering for the home team. The wind was blowing out but it did not matter for 3 of the 4 HR's that were hit in this game. Unfortunately for the Snappers, the wind was involved when the Timber Rattlers' Brandon Macias hit a 3 run shot in the 7th to tie the game. If there was no wind this ball wouldn't have made it to the warning track, but what are you gonna do...

It was not all good for Sano, he struck out twice and hit into a 1-6-3 DP in the 9th. But the GS certainly makes up for that.

Hopefully I'll be able to make another road trip next year. I would really be temped if Buxton is on the team but I have a feeling he will be playing for the Etwins next year.